Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Malibu 2022 speakers

MXZ21

They will not.  The new grills have a tab mount systems that interlocks into the frame of the speaker.  The screws do not hold the speaker to the hull as they do on a 2021.  

Thanks Murphy do you have a 22? Im curious to see if the 22 speaker sounds any better or was it just a cosmetic change?

48 minutes ago, MXZ21 said:

Thanks Murphy do you have a 22? Im curious to see if the 22 speaker sounds any better or was it just a cosmetic change?

I have a 22 and just had to replace a speaker this week.    Also had a 21, 20, 19, 18, 15 and 97.  Been doing my own stereo in them since 15...  You will be disappointed if you try and retrofit the new 22' in a 21' or older model.  For sounds - they are still the same Wetsounds Speaker and they still sound as good as Wetsounds Speakers of the past.

• 11 months later...
RhetttStover

I am replacing the speaker grille cover on a 2022 24 MXZ. The cover is for Rev 8’s. I’m having a hard time getting the cover to interlock against the speaker. I don’t want to be too forceful and break it; appreciate any guidance anyone here may have. Also checking with our licensed Malibu dealer for feedback. 

Many of the newer black speaker face plate covers can be difficult to remove or install.  They are also very easy to break.  If any of the retaining clips on the speaker are broken, it will need to be replaced.  There are a couple install methods I have used that seems to make it a bit easier to install the covers

. Tighten all of the speaker mount screws by hand with a screwdriver, then loosen each screw a half turn.  This prevents the rubber mounting gasket from interfering with the cover.

. Lightly spray the outer edges on the inside of the plastic cover with silicone spray lubricant.  Wipe up any excess.  This makes the cover more easily slide and rotate on the rubber mounting gasket during install.

. Line up the recesses in the cover with the clips on the speaker by turning the cover counter-clockwise to around the 10 or 11 o'clock position.

. Push the cover against the speaker while rotating it clockwise until it locks in place.