Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

First test of the new Hydrohoist - Success

EchelonMike

We're moving our 2008 Malibu onto a hoist for the first time this summer.  We've always kept it in a garage on the trailer. I'm excited to be able to go down to the lake without launch ramp hassles and to not have to monopolize my wife's car (aka - the tow vehicle) when going to the lake. 

I went down solo this weekend and got her summerized and onto the lift without issue.  I ended up going with a 6600 lbs hydrohoist.  The 247 is 3900 lbs dry so I have plenty of wiggle room with this lift.  It moved up and down pretty quickly.  We don't have power on the dock yet, so I used a small Ryobi 2300W generator to power the lift motor.  It pulled about 85% of the generator's rated capacity to run the hoist motor, so if anyone is thinking of using solar, house batteries and an inverter on their dock, I'd go with a minimum 2500W inverter to power a hoist.

I am going to have to put up a shade of some sort to keep sun fade off the transom and starboard side of the boat.  Anyone have a good DiY suggestion for this?

image.thumb.png.a091d81149261adbf3df853e99a35d6c.png

image.thumb.png.0a1ae5fc2f30f1bc84167bbdb77fb892.png

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

I used something like the link below for our outdoor deck.  If you got the spans right, they could work on the dock as well.  Or just buy one of those sail shades if you aren’t worried about ever “rolling it up”.  

Coolaroo Exterior Roller Shade, Cordless Roller Shade with 90% UV Protection, No Valance, (6' W X 6' L), Mocha https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IWMLEVW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_MPGC4WKEX6D7DT26BV0F

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2022 at 9:43 AM, EchelonMike said:

We're moving our 2008 Malibu onto a hoist for the first time this summer.  We've always kept it in a garage on the trailer. I'm excited to be able to go down to the lake without launch ramp hassles and to not have to monopolize my wife's car (aka - the tow vehicle) when going to the lake. 

I went down solo this weekend and got her summerized and onto the lift without issue.  I ended up going with a 6600 lbs hydrohoist.  The 247 is 3900 lbs dry so I have plenty of wiggle room with this lift.  It moved up and down pretty quickly.  We don't have power on the dock yet, so I used a small Ryobi 2300W generator to power the lift motor.  It pulled about 85% of the generator's rated capacity to run the hoist motor, so if anyone is thinking of using solar, house batteries and an inverter on their dock, I'd go with a minimum 2500W inverter to power a hoist.

I am going to have to put up a shade of some sort to keep sun fade off the transom and starboard side of the boat.  Anyone have a good DiY suggestion for this?

image.thumb.png.a091d81149261adbf3df853e99a35d6c.png

image.thumb.png.0a1ae5fc2f30f1bc84167bbdb77fb892.png

Nice Boat!

Solar is actually faster lifting, has wireless fob operation with automated lifting/lowering timers and lighting.. just hit button and walk away.. 

Inverters work temporarily until they fail. You need a 4000+ w inverter to handle the surge current of your 1200-1700w AC motor and it still will eventually fail.

Many places also now ban inverters for use on boat lift blowers as they are a fire hazard if you don't get a marine grade inverter they can easily catch fire in many instances due to the ground wire issues on most cheap inverters. They also are often more dangerous even if equiped with GFCI as it can throw AC current into water without tripping, thus why marine grade inverters are required in boats and should be used when on docks as well. Some places require this and or installed by certified ABYC marine certified electrician

PM me if interested in safer faster solar options. Not the cheapest but depending on distance to the dock it can often be a lot cheaper then running power to the dock plus you get a bunch of additional features. 

• Like 1
On 5/25/2022 at 10:05 PM, hethj7 said:

I used something like the link below for our outdoor deck.  If you got the spans right, they could work on the dock as well.  Or just buy one of those sail shades if you aren’t worried about ever “rolling it up”.  

Coolaroo Exterior Roller Shade, Cordless Roller Shade with 90% UV Protection, No Valance, (6' W X 6' L), Mocha https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IWMLEVW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_MPGC4WKEX6D7DT26BV0F

I've tried this in my porch and it breaks the hold downs in high winds, I'd be worried it would bang up the boat I've been looking for something more robust that doesn't have a rail/track custom build to size install, any ideas?

• Like 1
On 6/9/2022 at 7:10 AM, The Hulk said:

I've tried this in my porch and it breaks the hold downs in high winds, I'd be worried it would bang up the boat I've been looking for something more robust that doesn't have a rail/track custom build to size install, any ideas?

I may just zip tie some solar screen to the inside posts to keep the sun off.  Interestingly, I found that because the lift moves the boat so high up vertically, the lift is the only thing in the sun, the boat stays mostly in the shade.  The stern gets some evening sun.  I just bought a swim platform cover from Carver Covers and it fit perfectly.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/10/2022 at 10:53 AM, EchelonMike said:

I may just zip tie some solar screen to the inside posts to keep the sun off.  Interestingly, I found that because the lift moves the boat so high up vertically, the lift is the only thing in the sun, the boat stays mostly in the shade.  The stern gets some evening sun.  I just bought a swim platform cover from Carver Covers and it fit perfectly.  

What lake are you on?

On 6/10/2022 at 9:53 AM, EchelonMike said:

We have used these tarps for years to help keep the sun off the back of our boats.  These cut the sun but let wind through too so that they don't tear out as fast as a traditional tarp.  My parents slip is similar to yours and they ran a cable for one rear post to the other.  Then use carabiners to the eyelets of the tarp so that they can pull the tarp from side to side to deploy or store it.  Secure to the sides and bottom with bungee chords  

https://www.harborfreight.com/collections/mesh-tarps/8-ft-x-10-ft-mesh-all-purposeweather-resistant-tarp-60577.html

• Like 1
10 hours ago, EchelonMike said:

Norris Lake in TN.

I figured it was Norris - I didn't think there were any lakes that nice looking in Ohio.  I absolutely love Norris.

• Like 1