Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2015 T23 VDrive Leak

sadpanda03

Hey guys, I recently bought a 2015 T23 that wasn't being expertly cared for. This is my first inboard so I'm learning as I go so please forgive my ignorance.

I took it out a couple of times to diagnose everything that was working and not working. I have two 1100 rear bags and a bow bag. I filled all bags, surfed, and drained. The bilge filled with a lot of water, there was some water in the engine compartment, and the bow bag did not fill/drain appropriately with some water draining thru the passenger storage compartment. I went home and re-did all of the hose connections and re-sealed the rudder. After taking it back out today I got a mostly dry bilge and a dry engine compartment. No bags leaked and all bags filled and drained as expected. However, after trailering I noticed that a good bit of water was draining out of the drive shaft. I was not expecting any water to be draining from the drive shaft. Is this normal or is this a pretty serious leak? The previous owner had the vdrive replaced because he said it had seized due to rain water getting in there. But now I'm wondering if there is a leaky seal and that's how water got in there.

Also, there is a center bilge that I can access thru the center port but also a rear bilge. Are these bilges separate or do they share space? I guess I'm wondering if I checked the center bilge and it was dry how do I know the rear bilge was dry as well and how do the two pumps work in concert? And where do I go to check the rear bilge? Is it near / around the tranny?

Thanks for any info! I just want to make sure I understand all the water inlets and outlets of my new boat!

formulaben
16 hours ago, sadpanda03 said:

after trailering I noticed that a good bit of water was draining out of the drive shaft. I was not expecting any water to be draining from the drive shaft. Is this normal or is this a pretty serious leak?

There will be residual water in the shaft log that will drain out.  How much water are you talking about here?  I would think you'd even notice it unless you looked underneath immediately after pulling the boat.  Also, there is the raw water intake which will be draining a bit too.

Also, there is a center bilge that I can access thru the center port but also a rear bilge. Are these bilges separate or do they share space?

My model had a "bulkhead" after of the center section that was used for either a ski locker or center ballast.  There was a plug that you could pull that would allow any water in this area to drain aft into the main bilge.  YMMV.

formulaben

I just want to make sure I understand all the water inlets and outlets of my new boat!

There are a LOT more holes in your boat that are below the waterline than you probably realize...

sadpanda03
7 hours ago, formulaben said:

There will be residual water in the shaft log that will drain out.  How much water are you talking about here?  I would think you'd even notice it unless you looked underneath immediately after pulling the boat.  Also, there is the raw water intake which will be draining a bit too.

My model had a "bulkhead" after of the center section that was used for either a ski locker or center ballast.  There was a plug that you could pull that would allow any water in this area to drain aft into the main bilge.  YMMV.

I looked underneath the trailer after parking and watched it drain for a couple of mins. It's not just a few drips, it's a decent stream but not like it's gushing or anything.

13 hours ago, sadpanda03 said:

I looked underneath the trailer after parking and watched it drain for a couple of mins. It's not just a few drips, it's a decent stream but not like it's gushing or anything.

Perhaps it is also draining your "dripless" shaft seal, which is lubricated by a water hose fed by the raw water cooling system.  I have no idea where the hose originates, but it may be set up to siphon water from the block or manifolds when the boat comes out of the water.  If the hose is clear you should be able to watch the water flow through it.

sadpanda03
1 hour ago, justgary said:

Perhaps it is also draining your "dripless" shaft seal, which is lubricated by a water hose fed by the raw water cooling system.  I have no idea where the hose originates, but it may be set up to siphon water from the block or manifolds when the boat comes out of the water.  If the hose is clear you should be able to watch the water flow through it.

Ok thanks for the suggestion. I'll inspect from inside when I take it out next and get some more data. Thanks!