Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2011 VLX Surf?

Aondion

Considering buying a 2011 VLX. Does anyone know how this boat surfs? What is the best set up on this boat? Any wave pictures would be helpful.

I have a 2010 VLX with the diamond hull. I am running factory ballast plus 250 bags in the corners and a homemade suckgate. Decent wave, the pocket is smaller. Lots of push but length is shorter. Piling as much people/weight in the front helps with this. 

I have upgraded over the winter to 900lb bags (factory hard tanks still there) in each rear corner and tab system in the back.  This should greatly increase wave length. 

Edited by mgb1974
23 hours ago, mgb1974 said:

I have a 2010 VLX with the diamond hull. I am running factory ballast plus 250 bags in the corners and a homemade suckgate. Decent wave, the pocket is smaller. Lots of push but length is shorter. Piling as much people/weight in the front helps with this. 

I have upgraded over the winter to 900lb bags (factory hard tanks still there) in each rear corner and tab system in the back.  This should greatly increase wave length. 

If you want wave length in this boat you need more bow weight.  Which will increase the weight you need on the rear.

i have a 2011 vlx, 1150 ronix eight.3 bag in the rear surf side, fill it up about 80%. center ballast full, also use a ronix eight.3 wedge. it's a great wave. we aren't pros but it's got loads of push. i'll DM you a video.

You can get a great wave out of a vlx iv had 2 the one I have now has 1000lbs in rear 450 under port side seating and 300lbs of lead up front and a homemade shaper.. I’m a firm believer in evolution tabs you can throw 1000-1100 sacks in the rear and throw some tabs on it and not have to add as much bow weight and have a very adjustable wave

On 5/19/2022 at 12:11 PM, Zippymbr said:

If you want wave length in this boat you need more bow weight.  Which will increase the weight you need on the rear.

This is true except when you put tabs on the back of the boat. Tabs will push the nose of the boat down. 

Still waiting to get out and see how it looks.