Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf setup for 2018 23 lsv

Lukeskywalker

Lukeskywalker

Juat bought a 2018 23LSV. I went surfing and the wave was ok at best. What settings do you have everything on? What have you guys found to get a good wave? I had a 2008 23LSV  and I got the wave pretty Dailed in hoping I can do the same.  

Lukeskywalker

I had full ballast on all and wedge on setting 2 from stow. I am a newbie with the new boat.

Edited by Lukeskywalker
20 hours ago, Lukeskywalker said:

We surf in a river and we tried  10.5 to 12mph. Running a high altitude prop.  

When running river water if you run the paddle wheel speed sensor rather than GPS you will get the actual speed VS water.  That is a good speed range but if the water flows at 2 MPH you speed to water could have been 8.5 to 10 (too slow) or 10.5 to 14 (11.4 is about the fastest speed you will see regularly posted from what I have seen) using GPS.

• 2 weeks later...

I run on a river so I use the paddle wheel speed sensor.  Full hard tanks, 3/4 full PNP on the non surfing side and Full pnp ballast bag (850s iirc) on the surfing side.  Wedge usually 1-3 clicks up from the lift setting depending on river current, whose riding etc.  I don't use lead in the bow because our river can get wild when the wind picks up but instead I use a 500 lb bag under the bow center vinyl panel which stretches to about the windshield area.  I usually ride with 1-2 adults in the bow, and 2-3 adults in the main cabin area and I move them around depending on which side the wave is.  Also I run a very aggressive 2419 prop.  The goofy wave is incredible, the regular wave is very good.  My speed is usually about 10.5mph but I think your newer boat has a better transmission ratio and feel like I remember seeing most people recommend 11-11.8mph for the newer boats.  If your boat doesn't have big PNP bags your gonna have a hard time with that wave in my experience.  Really makes a big difference in terms of push.

Edited by PNWoke
Lukeskywalker

Thanks for info. We just surfed tonight with new setup and played around with the weight and wedge settings. It was much better this time. We added pnp 580lbs in each rear locker and 100% ballast everywhere else. Had wedge on a few different settings. Wave was good face of wave wasn't smooth like my old lsv .  Know why that would be? I also switched to paddle wheel. Was running around 11 mphs.  I am 220lbs and the push was decent my wife is 135lbs and she could go back so far.  One thing we noticed was the face wasn't that smooth. Any suggestions? 

@Lukeskywalker don't be scared to really tweak that wedge and get it near vert setting (especially if your using a less aggressive prop).  They wouldn't give you all those wedge options if it was going to hurt the boat.  I find that the fewer people I have in the boat, the closer to vert (or on vert) I get on the wedge settings.  Some of the "face of the wave smoothness" will be relative to the river and the current/depth you are in.  Last year when I was in Lake Simtustis and LBC I noticed that the wave was a lot cleaner looking vs my usual day on the Columbia River.  The other option is playing with the weight in the boat to get that activated surf gate to sit at water level with 1-2" of it visible above the water level vs fully submerged (that's why I usually run 3/4 full PNP on the activated surf gate side).  As always, the more weight in the boat the better.  Get 8-10 adults, slam the ballasts and start moving people around until you get the best looking waves you can get.  The look of the wave is not always a perfect science, it really does seem to vary a lot depending on the conditions, but the "push" should be basically repeatable in my experience.

Lukeskywalker

Thanks for reply. We went out yesterday with a few more adults and the face was much cleaner. The issue me and my buddy were having ( surfing regular) was the push.  We had 100% on all ballasts/pnp 580 sacs on each side  and push was struggling to get me where i wanted ( we were position 3 from vert). I was Turning at 4k rpms as well. What prop are you running ? I am running the 2249. 

6 hours ago, PNWoke said:

@Lukeskywalker don't be scared to really tweak that wedge and get it near vert setting (especially if your using a less aggressive prop).  They wouldn't give you all those wedge options if it was going to hurt the boat.  I find that the fewer people I have in the boat, the closer to vert (or on vert) I get on the wedge settings.  Some of the "face of the wave smoothness" will be relative to the river and the current/depth you are in.  Last year when I was in Lake Simtustis and LBC I noticed that the wave was a lot cleaner looking vs my usual day on the Columbia River.  The other option is playing with the weight in the boat to get that activated surf gate to sit at water level with 1-2" of it visible above the water level vs fully submerged (that's why I usually run 3/4 full PNP on the activated surf gate side).  As always, the more weight in the boat the better.  Get 8-10 adults, slam the ballasts and start moving people around until you get the best looking waves you can get.  The look of the wave is not always a perfect science, it really does seem to vary a lot depending on the conditions, but the "push" should be basically repeatable in my experience.

Edited by Lukeskywalker

@Lukeskywalker 580’s?

727B1836-0EC7-48DC-BA6B-CE6299184664.thumb.jpeg.2247a1176898e0a747c9bd492a2717bd.jpeg
all joking aside, yeah, definitely good to go bigger.  These boats can handle them.  I would have no problem putting the 1100’s in tbh (that might actually be what I’m using I can’t remember haha - mine go all the way under the corner seats and touch the engine covers when full).  Sell those 580’s on the TMC classifieds or to one of your boating buddies with a smaller boat.  I run a 2419 prop so a little more aggressive than your prop - I highly recommend if you don’t need to drive over 30-35mph a lot.  Being a goofy footer I don’t surf the port side, and the goofy wave is notoriously bigger/better, but my bros all surf my port side wave and have no problem going 10+ feet back.

Edited by PNWoke
On 6/5/2022 at 9:39 PM, Lukeskywalker said:

Thanks for reply. We went out yesterday with a few more adults and the face was much cleaner. The issue me and my buddy were having ( surfing regular) was the push.  We had 100% on all ballasts/pnp 580 sacs on each side  and push was struggling to get me where i wanted ( we were position 3 from vert). I was Turning at 4k rpms as well. What prop are you running ? I am running the 2249. 

I had a 2018 23 LSV with the same 580 PNP so know that boat well. It actually sounds like you have too much weight in the rear, giving the bow a high angle that’s requiring high RPMs to push forward. Pocket is probably steep but short?

Unless running extra bow weight, that year 23 LSV needs about 400 PNP to be balanced. Any more rear weight, or max wedge, and extra bow weight will be needed. I would only fill to 75%, or if listing a bit to help the port side, I’d run port 100% and starboard 50%. Speed should be 11-11.4, and play with the wedge a bit to see how the shape changes. This pic is with that setup, running 11.2 and 2 average sized guys in the boat.

370911F5-1053-493B-9F33-75BE0C93AF24.thumb.jpeg.166c44db42689b3d38277fb7dcd82d7d.jpeg