Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Speed and Throttle Settings in New Garmin Screen

Hey all, I looked in manual and details are sparse on this screen.  It does have a few settings though.  Does anyone know what the paddlewheel multiplier does?  Also the throttle profile (sport vs standard modes)?  When we were out on the lake the other day, the boat's speedo was running about .2 fast compared to my friend's handheld GPS. 

The other strange thing is I could select GPS as Speed Source even though I don't have it.  No warnings or anything popped up.  

Picture for reference:

39A9642B-0F0B-4CFF-9A63-B85044233F21_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.fe6d3093b7e5c0445aa45c2e987a879d.jpeg

CA9B4640-BF1C-43A1-83B3-CB52C67FE88A_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.b4c7d871dc571bb06f0fec63fcb5fe7c.jpeg

I haven't had the time to sit down and play with any of the settings but will let you know. Literally been raining almost every day since I picked my A22 up a few weeks ago. I know that wasn't informative but when I get out there today or tomorrow (weather permitting) and start playing with the settings and maybe actually reset the factory Engine Start Code I'll let you know what I find out.

• Like 1

The paddlewheel multiplier probably lets you calibrate your speedometer.  Try setting it to 2.0 and see if you aren't going twice as fast.  Getting truth data for proper calibration is probably a pesky endeavor, but one could make several back and forth passes at various speeds on still water and calculate a mean error using GPS.  Luckily, the tiny processor in the paddlewheel has a fairly decent clock, so the factory calibration that translates wheel rotation counts to speed is plenty accurate.  I would leave it at 1.0 unless you really think your speed is off.

The throttle profile changes the mapping between the throttle lever position and the actual butterfly opening at the engine.  Since you have an electronic throttle, it is very simple for them to provide several mappings for you to try.  Your car probably has them as well.  Sport mode no doubt gives you a faster response early in the throttle range.  That doesn't seem like something you would want on a tow boat, where the ability to provide a smooth start is key.  I would try all options, but the one with the most linear response is probably best for these boats.

• Like 2
On 5/13/2022 at 6:18 PM, theloungelife said:

Hey all, I looked in manual and details are sparse on this screen.  It does have a few settings though.  Does anyone know what the paddlewheel multiplier does?  Also the throttle profile (sport vs standard modes)?  When we were out on the lake the other day, the boat's speedo was running about .2 fast compared to my friend's handheld GPS. 

The other strange thing is I could select GPS as Speed Source even though I don't have it.  No warnings or anything popped up.  

Picture for reference:

39A9642B-0F0B-4CFF-9A63-B85044233F21_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.fe6d3093b7e5c0445aa45c2e987a879d.jpeg

CA9B4640-BF1C-43A1-83B3-CB52C67FE88A_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.b4c7d871dc571bb06f0fec63fcb5fe7c.jpeg

Are you sure you have a paddle wheel? I'm not sure of production details but our 22 A24 was delivered in November and I ordered with the paddle wheel but due to supply chain issue (from my understanding) our boat came equipped with GPS at no additional cost. Ours still has paddle wheel as a selection in the menu options. I found out during delivery day when we were on the water and was not notified of the change when the boat was built. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Are you sure you have a paddle wheel? I'm not sure of production details but our 22 A24 was delivered in November and I ordered with the paddle wheel but due to supply chain issue (from my understanding) our boat came equipped with GPS at no additional cost. Ours still has paddle wheel as a selection in the menu options. I found out during delivery day when we were on the water and was not notified of the change when the boat was built. 

I took delivery at end of September 21'.  Dealer never mentioned that I didn't have the paddle wheel.  I've been using it with the paddle wheel setting here and it does hold speed.  

On 5/15/2022 at 7:11 AM, justgary said:

The paddlewheel multiplier probably lets you calibrate your speedometer.  Try setting it to 2.0 and see if you aren't going twice as fast.  Getting truth data for proper calibration is probably a pesky endeavor, but one could make several back and forth passes at various speeds on still water and calculate a mean error using GPS.  Luckily, the tiny processor in the paddlewheel has a fairly decent clock, so the factory calibration that translates wheel rotation counts to speed is plenty accurate.  I would leave it at 1.0 unless you really think your speed is off.

The throttle profile changes the mapping between the throttle lever position and the actual butterfly opening at the engine.  Since you have an electronic throttle, it is very simple for them to provide several mappings for you to try.  Your car probably has them as well.  Sport mode no doubt gives you a faster response early in the throttle range.  That doesn't seem like something you would want on a tow boat, where the ability to provide a smooth start is key.  I would try all options, but the one with the most linear response is probably best for these boats.

That's true.  I can play around and see what happens next time I am out with my buddy's GPS.  Will play around with the throttle modes as well.  Good call out that sport might not be the way to go.  

my 

On 5/13/2022 at 6:18 PM, theloungelife said:

Picture for reference:

the multiplier allows you to make a percentage change to the speedo readout it gets from paddlewheel revolutions 

i took my speed by gps at wakeboarding speed and surf speed,  the multiplier necessary for each level of speed was different, i had to sort of weighted average them and it worked snd made the speed readout extremely close to  GpS

• Like 1
12 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

my 

the multiplier allows you to make a percentage change to the speedo readout it gets from paddlewheel revolutions 

i took my speed by gps at wakeboarding speed and surf speed,  the multiplier necessary for each level of speed was different, i had to sort of weighted average them and it worked snd made the speed readout extremely close to  GpS

I would expect that your speed reading at the wakeboard speed was more accurate than the surf speed.

Pretty good low level info about GPS accuracy https://www.gps.gov/systems/gps/performance/accuracy/

I dont know if GARMIN uses it, but if they would enable GLONASS (Russian GPS constellation), that would open up to 24 additional GPS satellites, which would help increase accuracy.

• Like 1
On 5/24/2022 at 8:19 AM, Texan32 said:

I would expect that your speed reading at the wakeboard speed was more accurate than the surf speed.

Pretty good low level info about GPS accuracy https://www.gps.gov/systems/gps/performance/accuracy/

I dont know if GARMIN uses it, but if they would enable GLONASS (Russian GPS constellation), that would open up to 24 additional GPS satellites, which would help increase accuracy.

the satellite i used to test was fine,  it was my paddle wheel speedo read out that would vary at different percentages during wake or wave speeds, i just had to weight my average to come up with a mod factor for the settings menu