Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New A22 - breakin observations / glitches

TommyTuna

Hi folks - on 7 hours now. Did a lot of cruising around today and getting more used to docking.  The boat is a beast and the engine just incredible. Well worth the wait and glad I went 22 vs 20!

x Couple questions / observations / possible glitches?

- Tilt to Right at Speed - just me driving in boat today and boat seems fairly tilted towards driver side at planing speeds and above.  I am 230lbs but didn’t think i would have such an impact :) is this normal? I don’t recall this when i had my wife and kids in boat last weekend

- Fuel gauge - I got down to 25% fuel so went for fill up and it only took 26 gallons to get right back to full. I was expecting closer to 36G to get back to full given I read it had 48G tank?

- “Whistle” at 28-30mph from Port bags - get a weird whistle at faster cruise speeds coming from under port cushions. Dealer thinks something up with ballast pump?

- Rattle at idle /forward - slight heavy low freq rattle / vibration when in gear but at idle.  Seems normal but thought I would check?

- Rear Ballast and Sacks - takes almost dbl time to fill rear factory ballast and Pnp Bags. Assume there is much more water back there and normal?

- Bumpers and Lines - are bit of b**** with just two cleats - more of a gripe. Dealer shipped boat with two big B bumpers that are awesome but constantly tying /untying them and mooring lines. Need to find a clip system

- Fuel / Cruising - curious where fuel consumption is optimal when cruising - around 3500 rpm ? I have the default prop

thanks everyone!

With only a driver, and given prop rotation, I also notice lean to starboard - evident with a very asymmetric wakeboard wake.  If i put 200-250 lbs of lead (or a couple passengers) on the port side, it'll level out and wake more even.

Fuel tank gauge in my A24 is also pessimistic- when it says 25% I usually have more like half. Best to track via pumped gallons and learn typical usage. 

Yes rear hard tanks and PnP on top will take about 2x as long as center or bow as combined they are close to 2x bigger.

• Like 3

In terms of the bumpers, I tie knots in the lines so that they’re looped permanently and when you loop knot them onto the cleats they are the correct distance. Also helps for crew who doesn’t know how to tie one up. 

Not sure if normal but noticing somewhat of a slight “whine” sound around 3200-3500 rpms. Disappears as Rpm increase and coming from tranny area. I rev’d  engine in neutral and didn’t hear this so only in drive.

I don’t have another boat to compare too.  I am impressed how generally smooth and pleasant the engine is. Really nice job by Malibu.

1 hour ago, TommyTuna said:

Not sure if normal but noticing somewhat of a slight “whine” sound around 3200-3500 rpms. Disappears as Rpm increase and coming from tranny area. I rev’d  engine in neutral and didn’t hear this so only in drive.

I don’t have another boat to compare too.  I am impressed how generally smooth and pleasant the engine is. Really nice job by Malibu.

I had this last summer on my 22LSV.  Only at certain RPMs.  Changed the prop and it went away.  I then realized there were little marks on the trailer likely from the prop.  I had taken off the lake on a super windy day with big waves and I think the trailer was slightly too deep.  I think I nicked the prop on it bending it slightly.  

Edited by Shea
39 minutes ago, Shea said:

I had this last summer on my 22LSV.  Only at certain RPMs.  Changed the prop and it went away.  I then realized there were little marks on the trailer likely from the prop.  I had taken off the lake on a super windy day with big waves and I think the trailer was slightly too deep.  I think I nicked the prop on it bending it slightly.  

I will dbl check prop but the other day when on lift i has a good look and it was perfect. How big was your nick? 

Just now, TommyTuna said:

I will dbl check prop but the other day when on lift i has a good look and it was perfect. How big was your nick? 

I couldn't even tell the prop was damaged.  It looked perfect but was slightly out of balance due to tapping the trailer just clicked into drive.  It was causing the exact noise you are describing.  Trailer damage was so minimal I could hardly notice but I found small marks that were clearly from the prop spinning at a slow rate. 

I have also had a prop repaired that came back with the same noise.  Replaced it with new and noise went away.  Apparently when they repaired the prop but it wasn't perfectly balanced.  Dealer told me it wasn't enough to cause damage to the drive, but with the price of these boats and cost of repair I wasn't willing to take the chance.  I just replaced the prop.  

I've found some of the same with my 22' A22.  Have 200lbs of leadwake under the spotter seat.  I find that + a similar sized human spotter is what it takes to offset me (175lbs) driving.  

Also noticing the gas gauge problem.  Changes a lot on plane vs sitting still.  

I don't have any whistle, prop singing or rattles though.  Not sure what that would be.  

Fuel wise, I can only really talk about wakeboarding speed.  Fully ballasted (PW3 at a 3, 550 Wakemaker PNP Bags, all hard tanks, 440 WM nose pnp bag, 600lbs sack in the bow over the cushions, and around 300lbs of leadwake to be moved around) I am seeing about 4500-4600 RPM with the M6 + Acme 3065 prop.  This is at high elevation (5-6K).  With that setup it's about 4-5 gallons for a 10-15 min set.  Kind of disappointing to be honest.  Coming off a 13' A22 LS3 with similar weight and had an auto wedge.  Wakeboard RPMs were 3800-3900.  Typically about 3 gallons for the same wake set.  I've looked at the numbers (ballast + dry weight) and I'm about 600lbs heavier now all things said and done.  I do have Power Wedge with lift mode now though which should help.  Sigh...  

1 hour ago, Shea said:

I couldn't even tell the prop was damaged.  It looked perfect but was slightly out of balance due to tapping the trailer just clicked into drive.  It was causing the exact noise you are describing.  Trailer damage was so minimal I could hardly notice but I found small marks that were clearly from the prop spinning at a slow rate. 

I have also had a prop repaired that came back with the same noise.  Replaced it with new and noise went away.  Apparently when they repaired the prop but it wasn't perfectly balanced.  Dealer told me it wasn't enough to cause damage to the drive, but with the price of these boats and cost of repair I wasn't willing to take the chance.  I just replaced the prop.  

I will dbl check the trailer and see. Dealer is taking it Monday for 10hr service so will let them know as well. I have the sound recorded.

sounds like prop whine.  having too perfect of a prop can cause it as well.  harmonics are funny.  One thing to try would be to put some duct tape on leading edge of one of the blades and see if it goes away.

20 hours ago, jjthehodag said:

sounds like prop whine.  having too perfect of a prop can cause it as well.  harmonics are funny.  One thing to try would be to put some duct tape on leading edge of one of the blades and see if it goes away.

great suggestion:)  WIll the duct actually hold?  I can give it a try today and report back.

Dealer listened to video and said it sounds normal but they will check everything during the breakin service.

11 hours ago, TommyTuna said:

great suggestion:)  WIll the duct actually hold?  I can give it a try today and report back.

Dealer listened to video and said it sounds normal but they will check everything during the breakin service.

Duct tape trick didn't result in any change to the sound. That said the duct tape was gone when i returned to boat lift so may have lost it early in the test.  Will let dealer deal with it and see if they find anything. Thanks everyone!

I also have the whistle. Its more noticeable with slight bounce from waves. I have no idea where its coming from.

My gas guage is way off as well. Fluctuates a ton from level to plane. My '18 was not like that.

Edited by Raimie
1 hour ago, Raimie said:

I also have the whistle. Its more noticeable with slight bounce from waves. I have no idea where its coming from.

My gas guage is way off as well. Fluctuates a ton from level to plane. My '18 was not like that.

My 2021 gas gauge is super annoying, no matter how much I try to cram in the tank it will NEVER show full, when it shows empty and the alarm goes off it will only take around 35 gallons. My 2015 was spot on. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2022 at 5:14 PM, TommyTuna said:

Hi folks - on 7 hours now. Did a lot of cruising around today and getting more used to docking.  The boat is a beast and the engine just incredible. Well worth the wait and glad I went 22 vs 20!

x Couple questions / observations / possible glitches?

- Tilt to Right at Speed - just me driving in boat today and boat seems fairly tilted towards driver side at planing speeds and above.  I am 230lbs but didn’t think i would have such an impact :) is this normal? I don’t recall this when i had my wife and kids in boat last weekend

- Fuel gauge - I got down to 25% fuel so went for fill up and it only took 26 gallons to get right back to full. I was expecting closer to 36G to get back to full given I read it had 48G tank?

- “Whistle” at 28-30mph from Port bags - get a weird whistle at faster cruise speeds coming from under port cushions. Dealer thinks something up with ballast pump?

- Rattle at idle /forward - slight heavy low freq rattle / vibration when in gear but at idle.  Seems normal but thought I would check?

- Rear Ballast and Sacks - takes almost dbl time to fill rear factory ballast and Pnp Bags. Assume there is much more water back there and normal?

- Bumpers and Lines - are bit of b**** with just two cleats - more of a gripe. Dealer shipped boat with two big B bumpers that are awesome but constantly tying /untying them and mooring lines. Need to find a clip system

- Fuel / Cruising - curious where fuel consumption is optimal when cruising - around 3500 rpm ? I have the default prop

thanks everyone!

What is the default prop on the 2022?

- Tilt to Right at Speed - just me driving in boat today and boat seems fairly tilted towards driver side at planing speeds and above.  I am 230lbs but didn’t think i would have such an impact  is this normal? I don’t recall this when i had my wife and kids in boat last weekend

I have had a hard time getting my port side wake as crisp as my starboard side.   Assuming it has to do with prop rotation which is probably what you are experiencing.  

We had something similar and it turned out is was just a loose"ish" fuse panel cover under the dash.  Used a chip clip to fix it :lol:

Indeed, significantly more ballast in the back.