Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone towed with both newer F150 and new 3.0 duramax?

frosty

Boat:  New 2022 T220

My current truck:  2020 F250 6.2 gasser that went in for driveshaft recall and dealer wants to keep for 3 months because of backordered parts(driveshaft is completely scarred, they say it's the worst one they've seen).

I'm thinking about going to a half ton, as it will be more comfortable for daily driving and might actually tow better than my current 6.2 gasser.

Any thoughts on towing the T220 with either the 3.5 Ecoboost or the 3.0 Duramax?  I haven't weighed my new boat yet, but it's heavier than I thought it would be(just by feel towing with F250).  List weight is 4800 lbs, plus trailer, fuel, gear...probably close to 6500lbs or all in?  

Edited by frosty

Just a couple of observations. 

First, I can’t imagine a 150 towing “better than” a F250. It isn’t just about power (where the EcoBoost does great). It’s cooling. And suspension. And Road manors. And the the 250 is better on all of that. 

Second, I think you are considerably underestimating the weight. My old 2014 23LSV is 7000 pounds on the trailer heading for the lake. I’d assume that beautiful 220 would weigh more than my LSV. 

Tow my T220 with ‘22 F150 with 2.7 eco boost. It tows it surprisingly really well. No issues stopping. Plenty of power. The 10 Speed trans is awesome. I was really concerned how it would tow but has been perfect. I’m pretty much a sea level and do not tow over any big mountains. You won’t have an issue with F150 at all unless you are dealing with elevation and lots of long uphill runs. 

I have a different story to report, towed with my father's 2022 f150 on my 2006 VLX - when I was braking going into a turn it tried to push me to the side.  Wasn't a huge issue, but was enough to make me worry about doing that at highway speeds with traffic!!  Back to Super duty!

• 2 weeks later...

I towed my old 2018 T22 with a 2014 F-150, 3.5 Ecoboost with no issues.  At the time, I lived in Arizona, and there were lots of mountains climbs to get to my favorite lakes.  The truck had no issues provided I was mindful of using lower gears for climbing to keep coolant and transmission temperatures in checks. With properly set up surge brakes, the F-150 had plenty of stopping power too.

I towed my 2021 23LSV with a '19 F-1503.5 Ecoboost....It did just fine, but had me wanting more stability and confidence in the pull.  Power was well more than adequate.  I'm towing my 2022 25LSV with it as well since my Super Duty hasn't been built yet and again, power is plentiful but the confidence is not. 

I agree on the confidence when towing a larger boat.  Towing my T250 with the F-150 is less confidence inspiring.  The power is there, but it could use more braking power.