Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2022 A22 - shipped without wireless charging due to parts shortage - closest USB port and total USB ports to expect?

TommyTuna

My new 2022 A22 shipped without the wireless charging (Malibu parts shortage cited). Fix timeline from Malibu unknown at this time and i am counting on using cellphone as a chart plotter.  Closest USB port seems to be under throttle in that little driver side storage area.  Seems awkward to run USB cord all the way from that spot to phone holder.  Any other USB ports near the phone holder that i may have missed?

Also curious how many USB ports should be on boat. I have another one in glove box to go with the ones under throttle. Figured there would be more around the cabin. 

2 hours ago, Slayer said:

My 2022 25LSV was shipped without wireless chargers as well.  I was told there would be a fix and shipped to dealers for installation at a later date. 

Are you using any of the USB ports to charge while phone is in holder?

12 minutes ago, TommyTuna said:

Are you using any of the USB ports to charge while phone is in holder?

I haven't yet had a need to charge the phone on the boat.  Just wrapping up with break in hours then it's going to the dealer for the recall and 10-hour service.  I expect to he using the USB ports to charge when needed until the wireless chargers arrive.  

13 hours ago, TommyTuna said:

My new 2022 A22 shipped without the wireless charging (Malibu parts shortage cited). Fix timeline from Malibu unknown at this time and i am counting on using cellphone as a chart plotter.  Closest USB port seems to be under throttle in that little driver side storage area.  Seems awkward to run USB cord all the way from that spot to phone holder.  Any other USB ports near the phone holder that i may have missed?

Also curious how many USB ports should be on boat. I have another one in glove box to go with the ones under throttle. Figured there would be more around the cabin. 

It's the same in the T220.  I can only find the two ports where you noted.  It's a long way around to the phone holder and even then, you can't plug a cord in without destroying it or the phone port because there is no lower access point. The phone holder is designed for wireless, not wired charging which is frustrating.  I'm hopeful these parts show up soon but if not, I'll have to run some wires and make my own with a mount on the dash somewhere but trying to avoid it if I can.

Does anyone know where the wireless charger component will get power?  I combed around, within the limited access panel, under the dash and didn't see anything that stood out.  Was hoping to find a Female USB connector somewhere to make this easy.

I didn't get the wireless charger I ordered on my boat either, if they are like the wireless chargers in my cars  they aren't great so not having it doesn't cause me any lost sleep.  Will the chart plotter app work if you turn the phone upside down and run a cord from the charge port?   Does that program drain the phone quickly?  My new iPhone 13 batter is really good and will last most of the day with no recharge.  

I thought the wireless charger worked well on my 2021.  It wasn't the fastest but it did prevent my old phone from fading while on the charging dock.   However, the one that was in cubby near the throttle was useless because the phone wouldn't stay on it.  Poor design.  It needs to be recessed such that the phone stays in place while underway. The charger in the phone dock on the dash on the other hand is awesome. 

ihodgekins

On my 22 A20, there is an access panel on the underside of the helm, I saw a USB port in there, assumed it was for updating the new dash unit.  However, might be worth seeing if it would charge as well?

Which wireless chargers or regular chargers were not being installed?  My 2022 boat has significantly worse charging capability than my 2021 model.  The dash one just plain does not work and the other two wireless ones "work" if you hold the phone perfectly in place with your hand. (kinda defeats the purpose)  The chargers on last years boat worked fine.  These are a complete waste of money.  

Also, where are the direct usb charging ports supposed to be? I only have one in my whole 2022 25LSV  wtf?  Anyone have pictures?

• 2 weeks later...

Got the luck of the draw I guess, not aware of anything missing in my build (thankfully). I guess I'll ask if your dealer reached out with a price increase due to Malibu having to outbid competitors for parts? Maybe I paid an extra 3K for a wireless charger. LOL.

My dealer held to original Aug 2021 price we negotiated.  That said the boat came with no wireless and the manual wedge instead of power wedge. Dealer made it mostly right by installing power wedge at 10 hour service. Just need the updated surf band and they will replace swim platform at end of year for one that doesn’t have hole.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2022 at 6:11 AM, ihodgekins said:

On my 22 A20, there is an access panel on the underside of the helm, I saw a USB port in there, assumed it was for updating the new dash unit.  However, might be worth seeing if it would charge as well?

My 22 a 20 has the one in dash and rear cup holder a cigarette lighter we put a charger in. They shipped mine with out also.