Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ballast Hose Leak

teamerickson

For some time I've been trying to figure out how I'm getting water into the bilge. I finally figured it out!  I found a small leak in the center tank ballast hose! About an inch from the hose clamp, where it connects to the tank, there's a small pin hole that squirts water when tank is full. For my Axis the hose looks like ribbed bilge pump hose for the fill line. Trying to figure out the best way to fix it. It's in the mess of hoses near the T-Plug by the driver's feet. Even if I loosened the hose clamp I'm not sure the hose would the come off. I thought Malibu usually glued those on? Replacing the hose would be best but wondering about different (easier :)) options. So I'm thinking something like flexseal tape wrapped around the hose where the leak is? There's not a lot of room in there. Any other ideas? Slap some glue on it? Thanks.

I mean.. that guy made his whole boat out of Flex seal on TV and has a great time driving it around. You just need it for a little pin hole leak....

The hose I have taken off a 2019 BU was not glued on. More like silicone I think is what is used. Does your hose have any play on it? Can you remove it and cut off just passed the hole and reinstall it?

That flex tape, if it works as advertised.... would probably work, can't be to much pressure on it.

Edited by BlindSquirrel
  • 1 year later...
On 5/9/2022 at 3:14 PM, teamerickson said:

For some time I've been trying to figure out how I'm getting water into the bilge. I finally figured it out!  I found a small leak in the center tank ballast hose! About an inch from the hose clamp, where it connects to the tank, there's a small pin hole that squirts water when tank is full. For my Axis the hose looks like ribbed bilge pump hose for the fill line. Trying to figure out the best way to fix it. It's in the mess of hoses near the T-Plug by the driver's feet. Even if I loosened the hose clamp I'm not sure the hose would the come off. I thought Malibu usually glued those on? Replacing the hose would be best but wondering about different (easier :)) options. So I'm thinking something like flexseal tape wrapped around the hose where the leak is? There's not a lot of room in there. Any other ideas? Slap some glue on it? Thanks.

Did you ever fix this issue?  I have the exact same issue, couldn't get the ribbed hose off and indeed added the tape, but I don't think it's "not" still leaking.  

8 minutes ago, JpCrOOked said:

Did you ever fix this issue?  I have the exact same issue, couldn't get the ribbed hose off and indeed added the tape, but I don't think it's "not" still leaking.  

Yes, fixed it. Tape and glue didn't work. I eventually had to carefully cut the hose off near the tank fitting. The bilge hose (or whatever they used) seemed a little too small. Replaced with similar bilge hose. I warmed up the hose a little so it would go on the fitting easier. Then spliced the hose together.

Edited by teamerickson
1 minute ago, teamerickson said:

Yes, fixed it. Tape and glue didn't work. I eventually had to carefully cut the hose off near the tank fitting. The bilge hose (or whatever they used) seemed a little too small. Replaced with similar bilge hose. I warmed up the hose a little so it would go on the fitting easier.

So, how hard was it to replace that hose?  I can't even get two hands into that hole, and can't imagine trying to fish the new hose in.

2 minutes ago, JpCrOOked said:

So, how hard was it to replace that hose?  I can't even get two hands into that hole, and can't imagine trying to fish the new hose in.

I have access under the observer's seat. I was able to do most through there.

Edited by teamerickson