Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

04 Wakesetter rotor replacement.

KevinC

Trying to replace the rotor on my Wakesetter. Is it pressed on?  I’ve heard tapping on it with a hammer to loosen it up, but kind of confused as to how to go about it.  Any help is much appreciated. TIA

Corrosion has likely built up between the distributor shaft and the rotor.  Drill a small hole in the plastic rotor just above the center of the shaft; don't drill into the metal.  Next, spray some Wd-40 or other penetrating oil into the hole.  Let it sit for a few minutes.  Then, bump the top of it with a hammer to break loose the corrosion.  If it doesn't pull right off, they pry gently with a couple of flat blade screwdrivers.

• Like 2

Ah, that rotor.  In general not a good idea to bang on it since it in turn bangs on the oil pump.  If the other suggestion doesn't work you can try cutting a slot in the top and then insert a large screwdriver and twist to snap it in half.

15 hours ago, atLakeSantee said:

Corrosion has likely built up between the distributor shaft and the rotor.  Drill a small hole in the plastic rotor just above the center of the shaft; don't drill into the metal.  Next, spray some Wd-40 or other penetrating oil into the hole.  Let it sit for a few minutes.  Then, bump the top of it with a hammer to break loose the corrosion.  If it doesn't pull right off, they pry gently with a couple of flat blade screwdrivers.

That worked!  Thank you.  Now that I got the old one off, does the new one just press on?  Does it need some type of grease to lube the shaft?  It seems pretty delicate.  Should I clean the shaft with a wire brush?   

• Like 1

Don’t worry about the rust unless it’s stopping the new rotor from seating all of the way. A thin coat of grease would help preserve the shaft and allow the rotor to slide on easier; don’t need much grease, just enough to turn the shade of the rust a little darker, any more than that doesn’t help.