Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

No Prop shaft packing when went to replace?

Hey guys,

I went to replace my prop shaft packing, but there does not seem to be any inside. Or if there is, I cannot get it out. Being a V-Drive it is difficult to reach, but I using a pick, wire coat hanger, and screwdriver, no matter how much I scrape inside, nothing. If there is some left, there is very little as I can reach deep into the packing nut.

Can the prop shaft packing burn up and disappear? Any issue with just repacking it, even if there is a small amount left?

Thanks,

Kyle

I got a right angle pick (came in a set of 3 at Lowes) and had to pick at it for quite some time. I bet I picked at it for 30 minutes before I started making progress. And then it was just a few fibers at a time until the first loop came out. The last two were much easier. I’m betting the packing in my 04 either had never been changed, or it had been quite some time. It was super hard and brittle. 

I’d be surprised if there wasn’t any packing, and no, you should not put new packing on top of old packing. 

As @oldjeep mentioned, it might be good to know what year. Also the drippless seals have a water supply going into them to keep them cold.  

I am certain I do not have a drip-less system. Thanks Rakr, I have some picks on order and will work at it. I figured as much, but wanted to confirm before I spend time working at it.

@clotus I worked at it blind from above the v-drive, IIRC. Arms around the vDrive/Trans. Once hand on the packing nut, one on the pick. turn the nut, drag the pick in there with as much leverage as you can, repeat, repeat, repeat... If I were to do it again, I'd probably lay towels over both sides of the vDrive, as my forearms got pretty sore and chewed up by the time I was done.

I'd also recommend making sure to watch some videos about repacking. There are some slight nuances to it, i.e. angled cuts, and staggering the "joints". I marked my packing nut with sharpie to make sure I staggered them.

formulaben
2 hours ago, rakr said:

If I were to do it again, I'd probably lay towels over both sides of the vDrive, as my forearms got pretty sore and chewed up by the time I was done.

This.

2 hours ago, rakr said:

I'd also recommend making sure to watch some videos about repacking. There are some slight nuances to it, i.e. angled cuts, and staggering the "joints". I marked my packing nut with sharpie to make sure I staggered them.

Great advice.

You could also switch to this dripless option and be done with the stuffing. I'd venture to say the install of this was easier than repacking. On my V-drive at least.

https://www.wakemakers.com/oj-flex-gland-shaft-seal.html?530=50078&gclid=Cj0KCQjw4PKTBhD8ARIsAHChzRJlwDdzVxHp5eXFJSLzRY44vaweGKx_iyH7yCbUAgwWXNuf87U5i9AaAk6nEALw_wcB

@BlindSquirrel I was going to do that, but I was a touch intimidated by needed to pull off the prop shaft... I researched about 5 minutes, and then got back to cutting my wax soaked rope (which "surprisingly" gets really hot when it is dripping out of the packing nut after you go to adjust for "the drip").

2 minutes ago, rakr said:

@BlindSquirrel I was going to do that, but I was a touch intimidated by needed to pull off the prop shaft... I researched about 5 minutes, and then got back to cutting my wax soaked rope (which "surprisingly" gets really hot when it is dripping out of the packing nut after you go to adjust for "the drip").

I too was intimidated... but it ended up being easy! Here are a few pictures of me doing the switch and overcoming the shaft removal. But again... why change something that has worked forever. You'll be fine with the rope. :salute:

51 minutes ago, BlindSquirrel said:

But again... why change something that has worked forever. You'll be fine with the rope.

Because getting the packing out was somewhat awful, sweaty, and on a few occasions bloody. The boat I got, I’m betting it had never been changed. It was leaking like a sieve. 

6 minutes ago, rakr said:

Because getting the packing out was somewhat awful, sweaty, and on a few occasions bloody. The boat I got, I’m betting it had never been changed. It was leaking like a sieve. 

lol... don't forget having to be upside down at times...lol. I was referring to trying a different technology than the rope but from the sounds of it... you're done! If original, yeah you were likely due. To your comment about it getting hot. That's likely because the nut is too tight. It shouldn't be hot and should have a drip every 10 seconds or so.

2 hours ago, BlindSquirrel said:

It shouldn't be hot and should have a drip every 10 seconds or so.

When at idle in gear after a short warm up run.