Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Audio power button intermittent on Viper

Natemeins

Afternoon y'all,

I wanted to ask the question to validate my worst fear, but hoping maybe someone has seen similar and has a cheaper fix. On my '17 23LSV, stock audio system, the audio power button on the small Viper display will intermittently not respond to touch. I say intermittent, 99% of the time when you're ready to power it on (and off) you have to press the area on the display (top, slightly right of center) for power multiple times. I've found tapping it fast non stop until it responds and finally starts its power on sequence works best. Most times it takes about 5-10 seconds of doing this. Sometimes attempting to power it off it won't respond at all.

Before you say I have a bad display, EVERYWHERE else on the display works perfectly and immediately responds to touch. In fact I'd venture to say (but haven't specifically verified this) buttons inside other menus that would be in the same position as the audio power button work perfectly fine. This started last Summer late in the season. I was hoping 6 months of winter without a power source would clear whatever bug was in the software, but taking it out this past Saturday proved it was still doing the same thing.

One thing I was going to try was accessing behind the amplifier board in the portside storage area and just verify connections are good, no corrosion, obvious signs of issues, etc, in hopes that maybe something over there was causing the display to not react to touch for the audio power button. I attempted to access this area last year, but it was going to be a deeper dive than I wanted at the time. I'm an aviation electronics tech by trade so wiring and such doesn't bother me. One other thing I should note, and why i wanted to access the audio board, is that one day last year I noted a lot of water dripping onto and behind the audio board from above. I can't remember if it was from rain or if I was washing the boat, but I'm pretty sure it was coming from the windshield, like maybe the seal between the window and structure was leaking or non-existent. On that particular day the audio system was really acting crazy, like lots of static and noise, bluetooth was in and out, controls slow to respond, etc. A few days baking in the sun dried it out and it was fine (apart from the subject of this topic).

So, what do y'all think? Would it be worth re-seating the connectors on the back of the Viper to clean the contacts? Could I have a bug that a firmware update or clean install would solve? Does something like that even exist? Or am I looking having to replace the display? Any advice y'all could give would be great. It's not the worst thing in the world, it works, but little things like this will drive me up a wall. 

Thanks y'all !!

You can check the Viper2 software version using the settings menu.  The most current version for 2017 Malibu Wakesetter is MY2017-V01-2019 V2.  If you do not have this version, contact your dealer and see if they can update the software for you.

Checking the stereo module connections in the observer compartment for worn or corroded contacts would also be a good idea.

10 hours ago, csleaver said:

If you have a transom remote control, see if you have the same issue using the remote to turn the stereo on and off as you do using the screen at the helm.

@csleaver great idea. I totally forgot those little suckers can cause weird issues. Will give that a try and verify the current software version, hopefully this afternoon, and report back.

On 5/2/2022 at 7:03 PM, csleaver said:

You can check the Viper2 software version using the settings menu.  The most current version for 2017 Malibu Wakesetter is MY2017-V01-2019 V2.  If you do not have this version, contact your dealer and see if they can update the software for you.

Checking the stereo module connections in the observer compartment for worn or corroded contacts would also be a good idea.

Verified my Viper2 software version is "MY2017 v10-2017 V2", so it does appear I could use an update. Is a dealer my only option for software updates, or the best one to minimize issues?

@csleaver re-reading your last post concerning the transom remote, I misread your suggestion. I unplugged it completely with the thought that it was causing issues with the audio system. I noted the connector pins and sockets were dry and corrosion-free, however unplugging it did not net any improvements to the touch display audio power button. This afternoon, if I can get out to the boat, I'll try cycling the audio system power using the remote. I think it'll likely work, given what else I noted yesterday (see below), but still worth checking out.

Here is a link to a video I made to clarify exactly what is happening:

https://youtu.be/sunM3XAw8Z0

While farting around with the display trying to make a quick vid of the occurrence (see link above), I noticed that if I touched the audio tab (upper RH corner of display) direct center, 90% of the time it would select the controls tab just under it. Touching the controls tab direct center was spot on, and maps tab as well. Touching above the audio tab or at the top edge of the tab would consistently select the audio tab. In the Maps page, selecting the "course" button would open the menu 90% of the time, and touching the upper RH arrow seemed to work the same. I chose these areas because they appear in the same area of the display as the audio power button and tab. Doing this verifies (at least to my eye) that the touch control is still working in this area, leading me to believe the display is not failing. Going back to the audio page, touching the audio power button direct center had no effect. However touching the upper LH corner of the power button netted more consistent results, able to power on within 3 touches 80% of the time. 

Is it possible the touch display is out of calibration, if there is such a thing with capacitive touch displays? I know that isn't consistent with the fact it seems to be correct on other pages, namely the maps page. I didn't see anything in the accessible system menus that calls for display calibration but maybe I missed it? Is it possible the display is sensing an additional touch, maybe the metal bezel, and causing this inconsistent reaction? Or maybe it's because the software is buggy or corrupted, or worse the display is failing and will require replacement?

I know this started out as an audio issue, but I'm thinking now the audio system is only a victim of a larger issue. Would it be worth (or allowed) re-posting on the Maintenance, Tech Info & Troubleshooting forum?

Ive seen this before, I think it ended up being the radio black box, but its been a few years, so I may be remembering wrong.

While touch displays can be calibrated, to my knowledge there is no way to do it on these. And as it appears to just be the one corner I doubt that what it is.

Is the boat still under warranty? 

@COOPno it’s no longer under warranty. It’s a 2017 and I’m the 3rd owner. Will that matter if I look into updating the firmware?

I still plan to get behind the audio equipment board and do some inspections, I assume that’s where the black box is for the radio? I’ve been under the dash plenty and know those two boxes but I don’t think either were for the audio.

Edited by Natemeins
1 hour ago, Natemeins said:

@COOPno it’s no longer under warranty. It’s a 2017 and I’m the 3rd owner. Will that matter if I look into updating the firmware?

I still plan to get behind the audio equipment board and do some inspections, I assume that’s where the black box is for the radio? I’ve been under the dash plenty and know those two boxes but I don’t think either were for the audio.

as I write this the video is still processing and unwatchable, apologies for the delay.

Updating the software wont hurt anything.

The black box is on the amp board.

I've noticed that newer software displays a message kind of like "waiting to power up stereo" when the power icon is touched, but some older software does not do that.  Is it possible that there is just a delay between the time you touch the icon and when the stereo powers up?

On 5/4/2022 at 9:59 PM, csleaver said:

I've noticed that newer software displays a message kind of like "waiting to power up stereo" when the power icon is touched, but some older software does not do that.  Is it possible that there is just a delay between the time you touch the icon and when the stereo powers up?

I've thought of that and tried slowing the touch intervals to allow for lag and delay. No dice. This issue hasn't always there, it was 100% responsive beginning from the day we purchased it in early March 2021 up until around July the same year. We took it out at least two days a week from April to mid October, so it was used quite a bit. 

We were finally able to get the boat out on a proper day cruise (it's been quite cool and VERY wet here in NW Arkansas lately). Gave me a chance to try some other things. First off, the power button on the transom remote works perfectly everytime both power on and power off. Turning it off you must press and hold the button (about 2 sec) to power off, a short press utilizes the mute function. Watching the power button on the Viper display while cycling power from the remote showed an instantaneous response. In my opinion, this further points to an the issue in the Viper display hardware or software, and makes me think less an issue with the audio black box. I've not ruled it out, I still plan to get in there and do a real good inspection of all the audio equipment, hopefully later this week as we're expecting sunny skies and hot temps (finally! 😁).

I've asked this before but I'll ask again: having the Viper/Malibu software updated, is that a dealer only thing or is there someplace I can download the software and install it myself? I'm sure the dealer option is preferred, but I'd hate to have my boat out of commission for weeks waiting at the dealer just to have a couple-hour job done that can likely be just as easily done at home. Additionally I bought my boat used out of state so I'm not sure if my local Malibu dealer will even touch my boat. I know those details get murky depending on the state and dealer.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

Anyone with the proper software and knowledge can update the viper software, but I would highly recommend that you only have your dealer do the update.  It could also end up being extremely inconvenient, and expensive, if something went wrong with the update and required a replacement viper controller.  It happens sometimes.

Of course, if everything was working normally before I really doubt the original software somehow changed on its own to cause the issue you are having.  Loose or worn connectors and wiring are the most common electrical problem I encounter in boats.

You could try to reset the software to the factory defaults and see if there is any change.  After a reset the surf gates need to be calibrated.  The lighting outputs and accessory outputs may change and need to be adjusted as well and the start code will likely be changed back to the 1234 default.

Edited by csleaver
1 hour ago, csleaver said:

Loose or worn connectors and wiring are the most common electrical problem I encounter in boats.

Couldn’t agree more. I’ll try to make it a priority to get in there this week and sort out that mess and re-seat connectors.

1 hour ago, csleaver said:

…but I would highly recommend that you only have your dealer do the update.  It could also end up being extremely inconvenient, and expensive, if something went wrong with the update and required a replacement viper controller.  It happens sometimes.

You’re probably right, and I should know better. A phone call is free, I’ll get with them (Arrrowhead Marine) this week. It’s a minor issue, at least the boat is usable, but that’s the OCD (and aviation troubleshooter) in me, it’s all gotta work or I don’t sleep till I figure it out. 😄

I forgot to mention, out outing last Saturday the audio system was flawless. Targeting the upper LH corner of the power button had it activate within 3 presses. We usually don’t turn it off prior to switching off the system (that shouldn’t be a problem, should it?)

I’m an aviation electronics tech by trade, these days aircraft systems are more and more computer controlled (and touch-controlled) and fully integrated into the avionics suite, very much like our ‘bu’s. Quirky firmware, an improper power sequence or config/software update, etc. can cause problems by fragmenting or partially corrupting the code, requiring a firmware restore by the OEM- NOT field repairable. Most of that reason is liability. More times than not though it’s wiring related, and the intermittent ones are always the ones you can’t duplicate “on the ground” without deep diving into the wiring.

thanks again for the advice. I’ll keep ya posted.

• 3 months later...
On 8/26/2022 at 7:13 PM, Cyndi said:

Nate, what was the fix?  We are experiencing the same thing right now!

I have not found a fix. After doing all the above it seemed to work properly the first few times, but has gone right back to requiring multiple presses, sometimes with no response at all. In those cases we just press and hold the power button on the transom remote. I’m really thinking it’s a problem within the Viper computer. I can’t confirm it, nor do I want to fork out the $$$$ for a replacement, but it seems everything else is working as it should. If you figure something out PLEASE let me know.

Let me also add, while out on the lake this past weekend, we had multiple things go screwy: displays dimming and/or flickering, the Viper II display going blank altogether, loss of audio, and not wanting to pair via Bluetooth. Cycled power and the battery switch, that seemed to work for about 5 minutes. While anchored I pulled the back plate from the 12” display and reseated the cat 5 cable, as well as reseating all connectors on the Viper II computer behind the helm. No joy. Glanced at the voltmeter and I was around 11.5VDC. These are known to go screwy with low voltage. I switched batteries to both, voltage shot up to 12.7VDC (engine off) and everything worked as it should, including the audio power button. Monitoring the batteries the rest of the day it appears my house battery is failing. I’ll be replacing both my house and start batteries this week and see how this might affect the audio power button. 

good luck.

• 9 months later...

Did anyone figure out this problem? I'm having the same issue on my 2017.

I wonder if it's possible to add a transom control to my boat as a secondary way to power on the radio? 

Sort of. I replaced both my start and house batteries as well as inspecting and cleaning/torquing all battery and power terminals throughout the boat. It’s not perfect but it is SIGNIFICANTLY better. Before, while underway, I would see an indicated 13.7VDC, now I see 14.1-14.5VDC. At anchor I see at least 12.3-12.7VDC. I think it all boils down to being yet another symptom of the Viper II’s sensitivity to voltage. Not just indicated voltage but also CLEAN power. You gotta get in there and inspect/clean/torque all those power connections. 

good luck.

• 3 months later...

I am experiencing the same issue with my Viper II screen.  Touching the "Stereo" button on the touchscreen typically does noting.   I have a 2015 Malibu VLX 22.  The screen is dated (on the sticker on back) 2016 so presumably it was replaced back when under a warranty issue.  I bought boat in 2019.  I noticed the touchscreen issue last year but was not too bad.  Much worse recently now September 2023.  My batteries are older too - did replacing them help?  Any resolution?  

Edited by RickMalibu
14 hours ago, RickMalibu said:

I am experiencing the same issue with my Viper II screen.  Touching the "Stereo" button on the touchscreen typically does noting.   I have a 2015 Malibu VLX 22.  The screen is dated (on the sticker on back) 2016 so presumably it was replaced back when under a warranty issue.  I bought boat in 2019.  I noticed the touchscreen issue last year but was not too bad.  Much worse recently now September 2023.  My batteries are older too - did replacing them help?  Any resolution?  

Depending on the build date the 2016 code could be the original. The batteries shouldn't really do anything unless they are hammered.

Could simply be a radio box issue as well.

No, no real resolution for me. It still does not respond intermittently. When I first hop in the boat and turn on the battery switch and boat power, I’ll tap it several times to see if it’ll respond. When it doesn’t I just hit the power button on the remote on the transom. It works maybe 20% of the time. It’s annoying but not life-altering. The aircraft mechanic in me NEEDS it fixed 😄 but I haven’t found a proper fix short of having firmware updated (which could cause other issues so I don’t poke the bear) or replacing the computer (at $4K+ no thanks). 

I will say though, if you even remotely question your batteries or have a battery voltage less than 11.5VDC without the engine running, LOOK INTO IT!! I’ve found these systems are VERY finicky with under voltage and will cause some real crazy unexplainable things to happen if the voltage dips. Double check your battery’s water level. Although most are sealed maintenance-free, my old deep cycle wasn’t and my new one isn’t either. The old battery’s water was very low and likely the reason it failed after just a few seasons.  Also check those main power cable terminals for proper torque, good electrical contact, and cleanliness. It really makes a difference.

If you figure something out let us know!! Good luck.

-Nate

Edited by Natemeins
Emoji