Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What do we want to see for 2023 and years to come?

MasonScott

Afternoon Crew, wanted to make a forum for something i havent seen yet. (and im on here a lot). What kind of things do we want to see for next years model upgrades and so for 2023 and years to come? For me, I would like to see Malibu competing with Mastercraft in the larger 26 foot boat region. Maybe Yacht Certified?? I have heard through the grape vine from florida dealers that the company doesnt want to yacht certify but what do yall think? I would love to see more interior styling in years to come. Possibly something along the lines of the aggressive, progressive and classic exterior styles? i think that would might be something that frequent buyers might want to see. This would give owners more customizability with interior styling. Waht other changes do everyone else want to see?

Mason

I want a giant inverse hydrofoil to deploy under the boat --  as you speed up the downforce/ displacement increases (like a wakefoil upside down).  Adjust angle of attack to fine tune.  Small wakefoils can fly 200 lbs men at 4mph; a boat integrated contraption could definitely create thousands of lbs of downforce.

No more ballast pumps, hoses, fill times, storage wasting tanks/fatsacs. When you stop the boat isnt sunk or driving like a pig. 

Thats my dream. (We can call it the WedgeFoil.)

• Like 3
1 hour ago, CaptainMorgan said:

I want a giant inverse hydrofoil to deploy under the boat --  as you speed up the downforce/ displacement increases (like a wakefoil upside down).  Adjust angle of attack to fine tune.  Small wakefoils can fly 200 lbs men at 4mph; a boat integrated contraption could definitely create thousands of lbs of downforce.

No more ballast pumps, hoses, fill times, storage wasting tanks/fatsacs. When you stop the boat isnt sunk or driving like a pig. 

Thats my dream. (We can call it the WedgeFoil.)

Isn't this what the wedge does?

19 minutes ago, justgary said:

Isn't this what the wedge does?

Not really, wedge is just a flat plate, not an foil.  A real aerodynamic cross section would be much more efficient and forceful (way beyond the claimed 1500 lbs from PW3, which I dont believe).  So instead of wedge fine tuning after 4000 lbs of water ballast, I want a 5000 lbs Wedge foil that deploys somewhere underneath, no water ballast reqd. 

3 hours ago, justgary said:

Dig out the old 21' Sunsetter LX molds and give those a go again.  If you must, you could make it an LXi.

Just come buy my old sunsetter and get it out of the garage! 

4 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

M260:whistle:

Malibu is way behind the curve on 25+. The M series already looks like a squished boat.. 26ft won't do it much justice it deserves. Needs to be 26'6 minimum but ideally 27-28ft

They are realistically more interested in offering lsvs and mxs in 3" inch size increments to fill the gaps.. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, hunter77ah said:

Don’t encourage  @The Hulk. He just settled down for the year…. 

Yes had to buy a bigger boat for daily activities.. family of 6 now .. so the 25 LSV is a bit tight these days..

2 hours ago, CaptainMorgan said:

Not really, wedge is just a flat plate, not an foil.  A real aerodynamic cross section would be much more efficient and forceful (way beyond the claimed 1500 lbs from PW3, which I dont believe).  So instead of wedge fine tuning after 4000 lbs of water ballast, I want a 5000 lbs Wedge foil that deploys somewhere underneath, no water ballast reqd. 

My 1999 wedge is foil shaped.

Asking a foil for 5,000 pounds of (down) lift at 11 MPH might be a lot.

2 hours ago, mxmark4 said:

Just come buy my old sunsetter and get it out of the garage! 

I have one already, but I can't picture replacing it with a newer one since they don't make it.

2 minutes ago, justgary said:

Asking a foil for 5,000 pounds of (down) lift at 11 MPH might be a lot.

It would need to be big  The foils for surfing 250-300# are roughly as large as the ones on a boat. Or the foil profile would need to be quite thick for that kind of lift and would probably be similar drag to just digging with flat wedge.. hard to say without some foil shape's, and calcs.. 

Would also be helpful to have a foil not just at rear but somewhere near front or at fins location. Have it be multiple use.. dig or rise! 

13 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

Malibu is way behind the curve on 25+. The M series already looks like a squished boat.. 26ft won't do it much justice it deserves. Needs to be 26'6 minimum but ideally 27-28ft

They are realistically more interested in offering lsvs and mxs in 3" inch size increments to fill the gaps.. 

I agree, M260 just sounds more realistic. Crazy how much boats have grown over the last few years. I am waiting for one of the manufacturers to go wider, fishing boats are 110" beam on the regular. I have a 25ZX and even that feels like a normal size, yet it is the largest in the offering. Regularly driving an ri265 doesn't help either as it doesn't get much bigger than that. 

12 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I’m guessing a refreshed 22LSV is on its way, wouldn’t mind seeing an Axis version of the VTX and wouldn’t mind seeing a 22-23LX

I really like the look of the new 21 LX, but would like that boat in a 23' size and wider.  23 LSV but with the LX bow. The M series kind of has that bow but I don't want the M price range.

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, Hemmy said:

I really like the look of the new 21 LX, but would like that boat in a 23' size and wider.  23 LSV but with the LX bow. The M series kind of has that bow but I don't want the M price range.

I agree. I really like the LX and with our daughter growing and each of our best friends having two kids each I foresee a larger boat in my future despite my skiing wants. The 21LX is definitely bigger than our vtx but a 22 or 23 would be more ideal for sure. Guess we shall see.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, justgary said:

Interesting!  my 2019 A24 is just a flat plate and seems like a wasted opportunity.

8 hours ago, The Hulk said:

It would need to be big  The foils for surfing 250-300# are roughly as large as the ones on a boat. Or the foil profile would need to be quite thick for that kind of lift and would probably be similar drag to just digging with flat wedge.. hard to say without some foil shape's, and calcs.. 

Would also be helpful to have a foil not just at rear but somewhere near front or at fins location. Have it be multiple use.. dig or rise!

Exactly, go big or go home.  i was thinking a full beam (8 ft wide, 1-2 ft chord, couple inches thick) wing just ahead of the transmission maybe; at 11mph my intuition says that'd be a lot of downforce (but math may prove me wrong).  the America's cup racers use a wing in that size range to fly their whole boat (bigger boat / higher speeds, but smart fluid dynamicist could maybe figure something out).

Bigger point/hope is for Malibu to introduce a paradigm shift (like they did with surf-gate) away from shoehorning in more water ballast, which just needs more pumps, hoses, and space, and even concern over hydrolock from over-sinking the boat.  a Wedge-only/foil thing that eliminates any need for water ballast would change that rat race...may not be realistic, but i can dream!

2 hours ago, CaptainMorgan said:

Interesting!  my 2019 A24 is just a flat plate and seems like a wasted opportunity.

Exactly, go big or go home.  i was thinking a full beam (8 ft wide, 1-2 ft chord, couple inches thick) wing just ahead of the transmission maybe; at 11mph my intuition says that'd be a lot of downforce (but math may prove me wrong).  the America's cup racers use a wing in that size range to fly their whole boat (bigger boat / higher speeds, but smart fluid dynamicist could maybe figure something out).

Bigger point/hope is for Malibu to introduce a paradigm shift (like they did with surf-gate) away from shoehorning in more water ballast, which just needs more pumps, hoses, and space, and even concern over hydrolock from over-sinking the boat.  a Wedge-only/foil thing that eliminates any need for water ballast would change that rat race...may not be realistic, but i can dream!

OK, so I just dug it up and looked at it.  It is piecewise linear foil shaped, but definitely not just a flat plate.

The big problem with a big foil is trailering.  The functional part of ballast is that you can put it where you need it, so replacing that with a foil system means that you need several foils and an active control system to go with them.  That means more actuators, which are probably underwater, and that means more trouble with maintenance.  If you thing a few pumps and hoses are bad, wait until you have more underwater actuators that are exposed to hitting underwater things.

As far as I can tell, Malibu is just starting to recognize that salt water use is a thing.  Marinizing everything on the boat and trailer is a win for everyone; even those in fresh water.  So I guess that's my big wish:  Galvanized or aluminum trailers for all boats, and full marinization for the boats.  They are close already with closed cooling and lots of stainless parts, but engine mounts and a few other things are still lagging behind.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, justgary said:

They are close already with closed cooling and lots of stainless parts, but engine mounts and a few other things are still lagging behind.

wiring being one of them.  Weird to not use tinned wire and lugs, at least on the big battery wires.

Re the foil thing, didn't centurion take a shot at steerable tracking fins a few years back?  Basically as a way to make the boat crab as an alternative means of delayed convergence?  I never hear much about that anymore (granted I'm pretty partial to the malibu/axis ecosystem) so I'm assuming it didn't go far...?