Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dual Sub box in Observers Compartment

Brandonloos21

Can anyone who has built a dual sub box for their observers compartment show me some pictures of their box build for ideas/inspiration?

Potentially looking to put 2 Revo XXX12 subs in the observers compartment if 2022 23 LSV. Here is a basic box I designed to start off. 

539A4E32-5F71-4386-A647-5105CFAF00F8.jpeg

Are you running a sub under the dash too?  How are you powering all of this/what are you doing for batteries and charging system?

are you going to put in one of those nautique sub vents for the observers compartment?

Edited by shawndoggy
3 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Are you running a sub under the dash too?  How are you powering all of this/what are you doing for batteries and charging system?

are you going to put in one of those nautique sub vents for the observers compartment?

Yes there will be one under the dash. All would be powered by independent syn dx 2.3’s. Still have yet to work batteries out. I’d consider a vent, I haven’t done one in any of my past builds but I’m sure it would benefit. 

53 minutes ago, Brandonloos21 said:

Yes there will be one under the dash. All would be powered by independent syn dx 2.3’s. Still have yet to work batteries out. I’d consider a vent, I haven’t done one in any of my past builds but I’m sure it would benefit. 

just from a power / charging perspective, I'd consider using the two-subs-sealed space to do one sub in a ported box instead.  One fewer amps so less load on the charging system.  I don't see how a 115a alternator could possibly keep up with that kind of system, assuming you are also "going big" on the tower and the cabin amps.   The dx 2.3 is fused at 80a, so figure it pulls 60a (guessing) under full load.  Let's be conservative and say only 50a.  That's 150a on your 115a alternator (at full output) before cabin and tower?

I'm 100% guessing, but I'd think you could get pretty comparable output from a ported single woofer firing from a vented observer's compartment.  Even then, 2x syn dx2.3s + cabin + tower(s) = A LOT of baseline work to be done on batteries and charging system prior to install.

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Like 1
32 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

just from a power / charging perspective, I'd consider using the two-subs-sealed space to do one sub in a ported box instead.  One fewer amps so less load on the charging system.  I don't see how a 115a alternator could possibly keep up with that kind of system, assuming you are also "going big" on the tower and the cabin amps.   The dx 2.3 is fused at 80a, so figure it pulls 60a (guessing) under full load.  Let's be conservative and say only 50a.  That's 150a on your 115a alternator (at full output) before cabin and tower?

I'm 100% guessing, but I'd think you could get pretty comparable output from a ported single woofer firing from a vented observer's compartment.  Even then, 2x syn dx2.3s + cabin + tower(s) = A LOT of baseline work to be done on batteries and charging system prior to install.

Thanks for the input. This years setup consisted of one vented xxx12 under the observers and one vented xxx12 under the helm. 

I was thinking to do the dual box vented under the observers and a single box vented under helm still. 

Towers are going to be 6 rev 10’s. I was also thinking of swapping out the alternator. I will be adding batteries. Which ones and how many that is still up in the air. 

• 5 months later...
On 4/1/2022 at 2:05 PM, Brandonloos21 said:

Thanks for the input. This years setup consisted of one vented xxx12 under the observers and one vented xxx12 under the helm. 

I was thinking to do the dual box vented under the observers and a single box vented under helm still. 

Towers are going to be 6 rev 10’s. I was also thinking of swapping out the alternator. I will be adding batteries. Which ones and how many that is still up in the air. 

Thinking of running this same setup with the two 12xxx’s in my M220. How do they sound? I’ve had the JL M7 12” sub in my last two boats and that thing was great, but if the Wet Sounds 12 xxx is comparable I’d prefer to stick with all Wet sounds…appreciate any feedback you have on these subs!

As explained in your other thread, those two woofers are not comparable. One has 2X the power handling v's the other. one is intended for an infinite-baffle alignment and the other is most ideal in a small ported enclosure. I doubt you could get 10ft3 enclosure in the port mid-ship locker to house two IB woofer's. 

2 hours ago, MLA said:

As explained in your other thread, those two woofers are not comparable. One has 2X the power handling v's the other. one is intended for an infinite-baffle alignment and the other is most ideal in a small ported enclosure. I doubt you could get 10ft3 enclosure in the port mid-ship locker to house two IB woofer's. 

Makes sense. Think I’ll go with the 2 xxx’s. And just to clarify, I am planning on doing one under the helm and one in the locker, not two in the locker. Hoping I can get a ported 1.8 ft3 box under the helm…

51 minutes ago, MLA said:

Keep in mind, that 1.8 ft3 is the air space for the woofer only. Your gross ft3 could be 2.5 ft3 or more. 

spacer.png
Good looking out. I appreciate it. Here’s what I found for the sub enclosure. That seem right to you MLA?

2 hours ago, ltroyer2 said:

spacer.png
Good looking out. I appreciate it. Here’s what I found for the sub enclosure. That seem right to you MLA?

Have you opened up that helm space?

you will have to get creative about the shape and angles to get the space desired

You are not bound to any external dimensions previously supplied by anyone. The important specs are the air space for the woofer, port area and length. 

Second, using a pre-made plastic "euro-port" almost always forces the front panel to be larger then it has to. Typically, a rectangle port thats built into the structure, allow for front wall thats not as wide. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Stevo said:

Have you opened up that helm space?

you will have to get creative about the shape and angles to get the space desired

I haven’t yet, and that’s what I’m worried about…I just got the boat 3 weeks ago, and with summer closing down quickly we put it in the water right away. I’ll be pulling it out in the next couple weeks to get it winterized and then figured I’d open it up. Didn’t know how big the existing box was that houses the current 12” sub, but my hope was to move the existing factory sub to the passenger side under the seats and then put the XXX under the helm so it’s not restricted under a seat or in the locker…You think it can be done though?

On 9/24/2022 at 10:15 AM, ltroyer2 said:

Makes sense. Think I’ll go with the 2 xxx’s. And just to clarify, I am planning on doing one under the helm and one in the locker, not two in the locker. Hoping I can get a ported 1.8 ft3 box under the helm…

You’ll be able to make it work!! I ended up doing so in my 22 23 lsv. I’ll be getting rid of the boxes subs and amps the end of this season, they did sound really awesome, but I’m going to try out DC AUDIO.