Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2003 Wakesetter VLX wakeshaper advice

Gmailloux

Steve, 

I am new to this. Can you provide me with some more info on what I should be looking for when I buy one? What to look for considering the boat I have? 

5 minutes ago, Brad B said:

We use the Mission Delta and it works great with 2003 WS 23 LSV

What is your setup?  We have an 04 WS 23 LSV and our pocket doesn't look near as long as that. 

Currently using a homemade suck gate.  Have plenty of push but not that much room to play.  

7 hours ago, Gmailloux said:

What brand, type, size, etc…. Wake shaper will fit in a 2003 Wakesetter VLX??? 

Greg

Does your crew surf regular or goofy? I have a wicked wake surf gate I no longer use since installing tabs. It would only work for the goofy side though.

51961609034_172aaf0a0f_c.jpg

wicked1

Edited by tbullard
11 hours ago, tbullard said:

Does your crew surf regular or goofy? I have a wicked wake surf gate I no longer use since installing tabs. It would only work for the goofy side though.

51961609034_172aaf0a0f_c.jpg

wicked1

We surf regular. Where did you get that surf gate? 

1 hour ago, Gmailloux said:

We surf regular. Where did you get that surf gate? 

The company was called Wicked Wake. I don't believe they are currently available.

I made a DIY gate that sat at the transom.  It made pretty good wave considering my overall weight, but turning the opposite direction was near impossible.  I tried cutting it down slightly to improve handling but it didn't change a whole lot.

Next, I bought a Nauticurl suction cup wake shaper.  I found it to be more flexible in terms of location of the shaper.  It is much better compared to the wedge that has limited tuning as with the suction cups you can change the angle relative to vertical, move it up/down vertically, and also more it fore/aft; I found when I place it adjacent the rudder or even slightly forward the boat will turn both directions.  Despite the smaller size of the Nauticurl, I had very good waves compared to the much larger fixed homemade gate, especially when adding proper bow weight.  Adding a 2nd Nauticurl did indeed improve the wave, but not sure it's worth the added cost.  YMMV.

On 3/25/2022 at 4:54 PM, blk93jeepzj said:

What is your setup?  We have an 04 WS 23 LSV and our pocket doesn't look near as long as that. 

Currently using a homemade suck gate.  Have plenty of push but not that much room to play.  

Lots of bow ballast. We weight even and use the gate to determine surf side. Probably 900 or so in each trunk (1100s but can't fill all the way and hard tanks removed). 350 or so in ski locker and 850 steel/lead under bow seats. 6 to 8 VAB but with that much ballast it doesnt matter where they sit. 11mph gps or so - little faster for better surface tricks and air tricks wake.

We used the mission Delta for 2 seasons before we installed a GSA.  Our set up was all the hard tanks full in back and keel.  And fill the surf side bag full and the other rear bag about half.  Place the delta point just below the waterline even with the Malibu emblem.  Move people around to get the best wave, oh full wedge if you have it.  Adjust speed between 9.8-11.  We ended up getting a new prop a 1235 I think.