Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

compare tin roofed carport to shelter logic

tvano

considering some kind of temporary structure to store the rig

anyone w experience able to compare a solid (tin/aluma/etc) roofed shelter (like this fb ad) or able to compare with something like shelter logic type of solution?

q: will the solid roof sweat like the boat lift canopy?

Edited by tvano

If you can afford a solid roof and make it work I would do that any day over shelter logic. The tin shouldn’t sweat and I haven’t had the best luck with shelter logic lasting in the weather. 

We have the shelter logic round top and its been good for 4 years but I am going to be replacing the cover this year.   We have a lot of tree cover so its pretty protected from UV damage.  If we had a more open lot it would probably be 2-3 year cover replacement.  

Overall been good for us in Minnesota weather.   You just have to be careful on the dimensions since they are tapered on the way up.  You have to oversize it a bit. Oversize it a bit more if its for daily use.

My S L is still standing after 20 years. It was still quite functional when we sold our NJ home 3 summers ago.  Grantee's still use it. Thinking metal in my future in upstate NY though. From what I'm learning, pay attention to snow loading.

• 2 weeks later...

I store the boat under a metal roof and I like it but I also like the suntuf polycarbonate panels you can get at HD.  If its not insulated you will get some condensation on pretty much any roof but I still like both the metal and polycarbonate despite some occasional condensation drips.  

I had a shelter logic that the material finally failed.  I was going to bite the bullet and build a new garage.   CEO killed that, so I went out and bought some 1x4's and strapped the entire structure and ordered metal roofing and sides.  Cost me a total of about $3000 CDN and it is so nice now.  Solid as can be will last me a long time to store the tractors and other yard implements in.  Its 16'w x 24'L x approx 8ft high.  We did do some cross bracing which works well for wood storage in the rafters!  I still need to add some solid ends and the garage door.

I think I put up pictures somewhere in a thread.  

I will say shelter logic will stand behind their product and replace it under warranty if it does fail. Used to use them at a private rv park over the floating boat slips as any hard roof would be too heavy. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/14/2022 at 11:20 AM, Malibuzer said:

I think I put up pictures somewhere in a thread. 

Do it!  I would love to see some pictures. I'm thinking of building a garage next to my house.

• 3 months later...

In my case, a carport was completely enough. This carport could perfectly fit my yead and creates even more cool covered space.
The main feature of the carport I have is the insulated roof from carportaustralia.com.au. It helps to keep the surface under the roof cooler than outside. The car I have now cannot stand the heat, so I had to protect it. I also like carports because it is an open space where anything else can be when the car is not there. It’s a nice place for kids to play at work.
That’s why I prefer a carport to a full-scale garage, and I think I will never build a garage.