Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel Pump Replacement on 2007 Malibu VTX

Hello.

My fuel pump on my 2007 Maibu VTX has failed and needs replacement.  I am being told the original fuel pump has been discontinued and that the replacement fuel pump (new design) will not fit without cutting a hole in the floor. I am also told, they will need to custom build a "cup holder" like feature that will hide the hole.

Has anyone had this issue? If so, can you advise on what you have done? Maybe share a picture of the completed install and materials used?

My dealer is a good group of folks for sure, but it would be a great help to hear (and see pics) what others have done.

Thanks in advance.

(PS: this is my first post, so if you need more info from me, please let me know) 

I also have a 2007 Malibu vtx. My boat is in the shop and they are telling me my fuel pump is putting out to much pressure and the pump needs to be replaced.  I talked with Bakes and they said there is a new model fuel pump that does not have a pressure regulator.  The dealership wants 995.00 to replace.  Just wondering if anyone has done this repair.  They also want 595.00 to replace the riser manifold gaskets that are leaking. Can anyone give any kind of input please.

Edited by HammerFamily

2007 was the first year that Malibu switched to an in-tank fuel pump.  I don't know why you would need to cut a hole in the floor.

2008 malibu 23 LSV floor removal (no pics, and little information here, but your 2007 should be essentially the same process)

Bakes has the replacement pump (Gen3 replaces Gen2).  I found this "how-to" on wakegarage.com:  Gen2 to Gen3 Fuel Pump Replacement

Edited by srab
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, HammerFamily said:

They also want 595.00 to replace the riser manifold gaskets that are leaking.

Riser gaskets are four bolts for each side.  Gaskets are about $10 each.  Seems like a thirty minute job to me.

On 12/1/2021 at 8:20 PM, justgary said:

Riser gaskets are four bolts for each side.  Gaskets are about $10 each.  Seems like a thirty minute job to me.

Don't forget $3 for the allen wrench you have to shorten to get 2 of the 4 bolts on each side out. Having recently done the job, I concur 30 minutes includes clean up and a few beers admiring your work. Some say ball headed allen wrenches work too, but they didn't for me.

1 hour ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Don't forget $3 for the allen wrench you have to shorten to get 2 of the 4 bolts on each side out. Having recently done the job, I concur 30 minutes includes clean up and a few beers admiring your work. Some say ball headed allen wrenches work too, but they didn't for me.

Tool cost never counts....

I did also buy eight hex head stainless screws to replace the socket head screws, so you could add that cost if you want to.

• Haha 1
  • 1 year later...
On 12/1/2021 at 12:23 PM, DaveR said:

Hello.

My fuel pump on my 2007 Maibu VTX has failed and needs replacement.  I am being told the original fuel pump has been discontinued and that the replacement fuel pump (new design) will not fit without cutting a hole in the floor. I am also told, they will need to custom build a "cup holder" like feature that will hide the hole.

Has anyone had this issue? If so, can you advise on what you have done? Maybe share a picture of the completed install and materials used?

My dealer is a good group of folks for sure, but it would be a great help to hear (and see pics) what others have done.

Thanks in advance.

(PS: this is my first post, so if you need more info from me, please let me know) 

Did you ever get the new Gen 3 fuel pump and what did the "cup holder" like  feature entail?