Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New 2022 Axis A24 - Loss of oil pressure after 25min

Kevfannman

Just brought new 2022 Axis A24. Launch it this morning. Ran for 25 min and the engine alarmed with loss of oil pressure. Engine overheated of course. Had to be towed in. Anyone else experience this?  Any thoughts? Could the engine be compromised?

I hate you have had to experience this!  The dealer should be all over this issue and I have not heard of this as a problem either!   I seriously doubt the engine is compromised at this point but the dealer will definitely test it (compression test).  The first thing is to find the failure and let that dictate the course of action.   In the car business, the manufacturer will often times provide an extension of the engine warranty if the engine is not replaced in a situation like this - not sure how it works with boats but if you keep the engine and it seems fine you still might ask about an extension on the warranty for the engine.

I do have confidence that between the dealer and Axis, they will get it sorted out and fixed!!!   Again, so sorry you are having to go through it!!!   In the end, it will get fixed and you have a fantastic boat!!! 

Still in break-in hours?  Literally on 25 min on the motor?  What motor?

When did the temp alarm go off relative to the oil pressure alarm?

Were there any symptoms other than the alarms?  Smoke, hot engine compartment, would not turn over when you tried to crank again (or did you), other odd screen indicators, sounds, fluid in bilge other than clear water?

Your comment that it "overheated of course" suggests you saw something else........

it is hard to envision a mechanical failure that triggered both alarms at the same time.  That would point to an electrical problem that triggered the alarms even though the mechanicals are fine, these boats have lots more electrical gremlins than mechanical based on the traffic on this board.

Sequence of events:

1. Boat running fine. At speed 33 mph - 25 min after launching off trailer  

2. Warning alarm went off for hi temp

3. I shut down the engine and checked gauges. 
4. engine temp 199F showing in red

5. Noticed oil pressure at zero showing in red

6. boat would not turn over after that 

7. waited until engine temp lowered 

8. still not starting

9. inspected bilge - no oil in bilge

10. checked oil- oil level normal  

11. engine super hot

no smoke; but could smell over heating

called for tow

keep checking for oil pressure and tried to restart a few more times  

no dice  

Currently back on trailer and taking to dealer on Monday  

engine is the  M6Di

Oil pressure never rose above 0 after the initial alarm. 

Tried to restart engine multiple times and it would not turn over.  Taking it back to the dealer on Monday. Let them deal with it.   I will post once I have their diagnosis.  

• 2 weeks later...

Update from dealer. There was water in the Vdrive and they said this causing the engine to overheat. They test ran it on the lake for a good hour today to ensure it was good to go. Seems to be ok now.  There was one thing they said that was strange to me. They said the cause was probably the plugs not installed all the way and water leaked into the boat and somehow got into the vdrive.  I had checked the plugs before we launched and the bilge when we the engine overheated. The plugs were tight and there was only a little water in the bilge. It did not make since to me. Have any of u heard of that before?

ahopkins22LSV

I am guessing they meant the blue drain plugs on the raw water cooling system. That would cause the boat to fill with water and allow the engine to overheat.

I would be asking how they flushed the Vdrive though if water got INTO the Vdrive. Even if the bilge filled with water, unless the vdrive fluid caps were not on all the way, I am not sure how water could get INTO the vdrive. That is concerning to me.

Make no sense that water in the vdrive oil would cause an overheat, unless there was a huge crack in the case and all the incoming water was puking out the seal or external crack.  I hope it is actually fixed when the engine is put under a heavy load in the water.

Edited by oldjeep

If it was me. I would pull A oil sample and send it for annalist. The water in the V drive ? why would it overheat the engine. The heat ex-changer would have been smocking hot. I would pull A oil sample from the V drive also.  Maybe if the system got air it might lose prime but I think that is a big leap. I know I would check for more damage. I would not want the boat in the shop all summer in the boating season. I asked in another post if the boat has a valve at the raw water pickup? could that have been closed off. It would not be the first time! What bothers me is you have indicated the engine never turned over even after cooling off. If something was locked up well that is not good!

• Like 2