Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Divider Panel Savers and Over Ballast Storage???

pdxrob

I'm looking to get PNP ballast for my boat and am curious about Divider Panel Savers. Are these really necessary? 

I've also realized that I'm about to lose a bunch of storage and am curious if anybody has any solutions to keep life jackets in those rear lockers on top of the PNP bags.

Thank you very much!

Rob

I put the dividers in my 2010 with the brittle PVC dividers and they helped a lot but those were a lot bigger bags than the 570s in my 2019. The new dividers are HDPE and a lot more forgiving than the PVC versions. Mine are bowed, but maybe only an inch or so, so I haven’t really thought it necessary to add them. Haven’t had any issues with the jackets or other items staying on top. So long you get the bags laid in flat when they are empty they fill and drain symmetrically and won’t role around as much. 

I have had issues when using the biggest bags even with the thick dividers.  I used stock aluminum square tube with press in caps off amazon and flush hex screws looked way better than the kits you buy. 

• Like 2
Just now, vanamp said:

I have had issues when using the biggest bags even with the thick dividers.  I used stock aluminum square tube with press in caps off amazon and flush hex screws looked way better than the kits you buy. 

Thats what I did on my 2010 also. A lot sturdier than the ones I could buy at the time and better looking as well. Those were kind of bent too though!

If I had to do it over again, I wouldn’t attach the stiffener(s) to the panels. Instead I would use some 2”x 1” oval stock if I could find some or square stock. Make a fixed base that would be anchored to the Fibecs/deck. The bottom of the divider would drop on to the base using no fasteners. And for the top, use 2 button head hex bolts with nylocs on the back side of the vertical pizza tray rails. If you needed more room to service something, just remove the 2 easily accessible button heads and lift the divider off of the fixed base and viola! My old dividers were pretty heavy on the PVC. These HDPE ones might be crazy heavy if reinforced. 

On 11/23/2021 at 2:46 PM, pdxrob said:

I'm looking to get PNP ballast for my boat and am curious about Divider Panel Savers. Are these really necessary? 

I've also realized that I'm about to lose a bunch of storage and am curious if anybody has any solutions to keep life jackets in those rear lockers on top of the PNP bags.

Thank you very much!

Rob

I bought the WakeMAKERS Engine Divider Panel Savers to go with my upgraded bags.  I actually haven't installed it yet but I'm concerned it won't do any good.  What's happening in mine is that the panel is coming out of the track.  The Panel Savers won't help with that I don't think.

Had the same experience with my 2010 due to panel flex. The braces will help some until the screws in the track get ripped out of the HDPE floor panels. I ended up putting in “L” bracket braces into the fiberglass which finally fixed the issue.