Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Powder coat or wrap tower?

Patrick65686

I have a 08' 23 LSV that had the finish rubbed off the illusion XS tower by a flag pole and a surf rack that had come loose and scuffed the finish. Has anyone ever wrapped a tower or would it be best to just powder coat it?

Edited by Patrick65686

My issue with powder is that often times, is that the metal its covering degrades from the inside out.  Moisture intrusion eats the metal but the powder stays in tact.  You dont know you have an issue until its beyond repair.  Also, many times, i see edges that have a razor thin coating which leads to cracks and moisture intrusion.  Additionally, while powder is pretty resilient, if/when it does scratch, you can't touch it up.  Yes, you can use paint on it, but once the powder layer is fractured, its fractured for life.  Lastly, i would be concerned about the constant flexing of the tower under load causing the powder to fracture. 

Perhaps my concerns can be debunked and arent really an issue.  But, i try to stay away from powder for most automotive type applications as a general rule of thumb. 

I didn’t like the Grey anodizing on my G3 tower and had a local shop strip it and powder coat it with the crinkle white. It’s a bit of labor removing and installing, but I had fun with it. A few hundred bucks was all it took. And it’s rock solid. Stuff like this is not a life decision. It’s a bit of a labor of love.