Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Actual weight of 2018 A24 & T23

Captian Brian

Hi

Everyone I appreciate your input.  I am deciding between an 2018 A24 or 2018 T23 and I am concerned the A24 (6450#) will be too heavy to tow with a 2018 Toyota Sequoia Plt. (7k# rated)   It tows my 02 23LSV easily, but is 2k# less.  We live WA so a few trips over the mountains is usual and then around town.  Please let me know what your experience is towing an A24 or T23 with the Sequoia. 

Regards

Your real weight of those boats on the trailer ready to hit the lake will be closer to 8000 pounds than they are to 6450.  My 2014 23LSV is 7000 pounds. 

Edited by RyanB

I also would ask where you got the 6450lbs.

Axis 2018 brochure says the A24 is 5250lbs and the T23 is 4500lbs, but the Axis 2018 manual only clocks the A24 at 4500 lbs and the T23 at 4200..  I really dont understand the different numbers being advertised (esp the major discrepancy of the A24). 

If you eliminate the weight of my fuel, that means the trailer alone weighs 1750-2050 lbs (based on the differences between the indicated T23 weights).  Meaning....brochure weight (with tandem trailer) will put you at 7000-7300lbs and manual wight (with tandem trailer) will put you at 6250-6550lbs.  Remember, these are dry weights.  No fuel, no gear, no food/beverage in the cooler.  Also, this is assuming its a tandem trailer.  If you ran a triple axle, your weight will go up a couple hundred lbs. 

Edited by Texan32
fixing my math...

Hi 

thanks for the information.  The dry weight for ‘18 A24 is 5250# and trailer is 1400. T23 is 4250 for ‘18.

Boatmate says 7k for max weight of T23 or A24 boat and trailer and stuff. I was trying to see what the boats were actually weighing in at My 23LSV is 400 over my friends 21 box is 300 under. 

Edited by Captian Brian
10 hours ago, Captian Brian said:

Hi 

thanks for the information.  The dry weight for ‘18 A24 is 5250# and trailer is 1400. T23 is 4250 for ‘18.

Boatmate says 7k for max weight of T23 or A24 boat and trailer and stuff. I was trying to see what the boats were actually weighing in at My 23LSV is 400 over my friends 21 box is 300 under. 

call me crazy, but that seems dumb (on their part).  If your boat truly weighs 5250 dry plus the 1400 for the trailer, that means BEST (lightest) case scenario, you are rolling 6650lbs.  That puts you at 95% capacity for the trailer.  Even if you subtract 200 lbs to account for the tires (unsprung weight), you're still at 92% capacity.  its hard for me to accept that a trailer company would use axles that are being pushed to the very limit 100% of the time. 

Darn you!  Now i have to go look at my trailer and see what its rated for.  Its got me curious.

32 minutes ago, Texan32 said:

That puts you at 95% capacity for the trailer. 

The stated limit and the ACTUAL limit are probably two different things.  I would guess there is higher actual limit but lower limits are stated b/c you can't control stupid.  For example - my lift guy said there is an easy 20% higher capacity than the stated limit. 

23 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

The stated limit and the ACTUAL limit are probably two different things.  I would guess there is higher actual limit but lower limits are stated b/c you can't control stupid.  For example - my lift guy said there is an easy 20% higher capacity than the stated limit. 

True.  Just like straps and chains.  You have your working load limit and the safety factor/breaking strength ratings.  But, that safety factor is there for when you are topped out at the rated weight and you experience shocks like rolling over bad road conditions.  

ahopkins22LSV
21 hours ago, Captian Brian said:

Hi 

Take what Boatmate says with a grain of salt as they are not the trailer manufacture for Axis or Malibu trailers. Since 2016 trailers have been built inhouse by Malibu.