Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

GM pulling heated/cooled seats and heated steering wheels due to chip shortage

UWSkier

54 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

You are going to go through the hassle of purchasing a new vehicle right now because of $15/month?

Yes, it annoys me too, but it is $15. Annoys me even more than you probably because it used to be free. The convenience of it outweighs the cost though.

used to be 5 years for free.  I thought it was for the life of the vehicle until I went to use it to pre-cool my truck on a 115F day this past summer.  Sucks they aren't including that anymore.

1 hour ago, pauley71 said:

Well I just bought a 2021 GMC Sierra AT4 Carbon Pro with the diesel.  I got all the options I ordered (thankfully) but 30 days after I brought it home I found out I have to pay $15/month to use the phone app?!?!  GM .. get with it.  It was free on my F150.  Great looking truck and the engine is very nice but likely going to dump it and go back to Ford.  

Are you talking about the app that shows your truck stats? DEF, tire pressure, remote start, stuff like that? 

1 hour ago, malibu2004 said:

Are you talking about the app that shows your truck stats? DEF, tire pressure, remote start, stuff like that? 

that one.  Used to be free, then free for 5 years, now you gotta pay for it right away.

10 hours ago, RyanB said:

Ford does the app right. The sync system however……..

I got rid of my GMC in September and I thought the phone app still worked without paying then, but I could be wrong.  I used it, but not a ton.  Definitely more in the winter to start my car to let it warm up.  So far in the couple of months I have had my Ford truck, I love their sync system.  The larger screens are better and I love using SiriusXM on the Ford.  When I change stations it will start whatever song is currently playing from the beginning.  I can also go back on songs.  My GMC Yukon Intellilink annoyed the heck out of me.  It was hit or miss if my phone would connect to the radio or Apple Carplay.  Minor but there was always a delay when changing the station using the steering wheel.  There was always a delay when setting the cruise control also.

• Like 2

I heard some stock analysts describing how everything will be going to a subscription model on cars going forward.  Tesla sort of forged the path.  Expect to pay extra monthly subs for self driving features, etc.  This is only the beginning.  

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

I heard some stock analysts describing how everything will be going to a subscription model on cars going forward.  Tesla sort of forged the path.  Expect to pay extra monthly subs for self driving features, etc.  This is only the beginning.  

The sad part is that the car will already be equipped with these parts! (Teslas all have rear heated seats, but if you dont order the car with them, you pay for them down the road when you want to use them). 

13 hours ago, UWSkier said:

that one.  Used to be free, then free for 5 years, now you gotta pay for it right away.

I think that is for the advanced features, like vehicle status (fuel, oil health), etc.  I'm not paying for it and I am still able to use the basic features of locking the doors, remote start, etc.

15 hours ago, pauley71 said:

Well I just bought a 2021 GMC Sierra AT4 Carbon Pro with the diesel.  I got all the options I ordered (thankfully) but 30 days after I brought it home I found out I have to pay $15/month to use the phone app?!?!  GM .. get with it.  It was free on my F150.  Great looking truck and the engine is very nice but likely going to dump it and go back to Ford.  

Sorry to hear that.  I have heard good things about that engine.  The AT4 is pretty slick, too.  I really like them.

However, one of the many reasons I don't buy GM products is the $15/month fee for the convenience of the phone app.  It's ridiculous to me that you should have to subscribe to that.  Another point of contention for me with GM products compared to Ford specifically is that IME the GM is more expensive when optioned the same way, or as closely as you can get it based on how options are packaged.   

15 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

You are going to go through the hassle of purchasing a new vehicle right now because of $15/month?

Yes, it annoys me too, but it is $15. Annoys me even more than you probably because it used to be free. The convenience of it outweighs the cost though.

I don't blame @pauley71at all for his position.  The convenience is hard to beat and your earn points which can be used to offset maintenance costs if you use the app the right way.  And in the winter when you're traveling......big winner to be able to start your truck from your phone when you get off the plane and have it all warm when you get to it.  Same in the summer.  You get to it and it's all cooled off for you.  Love that functionality.  That, and the keyless entry are some of the things that keep me in a Ford.  

14 hours ago, malibu2004 said:

Another win for the Ford app.  All that information is built in with no subscription fee.  

58 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Ford's Blue Cruise I believe is going to cost $600 for 3 years.  However, it is still not ready and not expected to be released until Q1 of 22.

ahopkins22LSV
Just now, Slayer said:

Sorry to hear that.  I have heard good things about that engine.  The AT4 is pretty slick, too.  I really like them.

However, one of the many reasons I don't buy GM products is the $15/month fee for the convenience of the phone app.  It's ridiculous to me that you should have to subscribe to that.  Another point of contention for me with GM products compared to Ford specifically is that IME the GM is more expensive when optioned the same way, or as closely as you can get it based on how options are packaged.   

I don't blame @pauley71at all for his position.  The convenience is hard to beat and your earn points which can be used to offset maintenance costs if you use the app the right way.  And in the winter when you're traveling......big winner to be able to start your truck from your phone when you get off the plane and have it all warm when you get to it.  Same in the summer.  You get to it and it's all cooled off for you.  Love that functionality.  That, and the keyless entry are some of the things that keep me in a Ford.  

You earn points with the GM app as well and with paying for the monthly subscription, any maintenance cost, any accessory purchase or any vehicle purchase. I'm sorry, but we are all in the 1-2% er's here and to complain about $15/month for a vehicle that costs 75K+ is crazy. It is the way to world is going, I don't love it, but look at all of the subscriptions we all pay for month over month or year over year. I just got a full set of weather techs with my points. I also like how I can flip between my wifes car and my truck on the same app. Maybe Ford's is like that too, don't know. Why do I pay for Disney+? For the convenience of having any Disney movie available at a moments notice for my daughter and to keep me sane. Why do I pay for Strava? For the convenience of my wife being able track me live when I am on a ride and so she can file for her life insurance payment immediately :lol:. That said, if @JeffK is right that you can still use it free to get unlock/lock and remote start then I will for sure ditch that bill. Pretty sure I tried that a few years ago when they started the monthly fee though. 

I also have the exact opposite experience on pricing. Ford is way more when you aren't getting employee discount. Not saying it isn't a nice truck, but apples to apples (which next to impossible to do with their packages) for me, it is always more to go Ford.

I constantly get offers for the app to be used for free for 3 months, but I didn't use it enough to warrant signing up for that and then getting stuck with a monthly subscription.  My keyless start works from my office and house enough to keep me happy.

I do think that the Ford/Lincoln app is better than the GM one.  I don't use OnStar....never will, but that is what GM is trying to get you to do.  My phone has the same functionality that OnStar can provide, and for free.  I don't disagree with @ahopkinsVTX, we are in the grouping that shouldn't be concerned about the fee, but it is the thought that I don't want to pay for something that I don't use all that much.  I used the app in the winter and occasionally in the summer.  Other than that, it was just sitting on my phone.  Ford offering it for free is really just more incentive to go to that system, although I wouldn't be surprised to see them charge for it sometime in the future.

6 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I also have the exact opposite experience on pricing. Ford is way more when you aren't getting employee discount. Not saying it isn't a nice truck, but apples to apples (which next to impossible to do with their packages) for me, it is always more to go Ford.

It's no secret that I get the discount.  I've been shopping trucks lately and have even been looking out of state.  I've shopped both GM and Ford, similarly equipped while not giving up "must have" options for me, and without the discount GM has been more expensive.  Could be the dealers I talk with, or it could be negotiation skills, but our experiences seem to differ.  Add in the discount and it's Ford all day for me. 

ahopkins22LSV
5 minutes ago, Slayer said:

It's no secret that I get the discount.  I've been shopping trucks lately and have even been looking out of state.  I've shopped both GM and Ford, similarly equipped while not giving up "must have" options for me, and without the discount GM has been more expensive.  Could be the dealers I talk with, or it could be negotiation skills, but our experiences seem to differ.  Add in the discount and it's Ford all day for me. 

I think it’s just your discount. If I got Stellantis discount (still wouldn’t buy it :lol:), Ford and GM would both be more. Spin that wheel however you want. Employee discount is huge even when incentives are good for the average joe. 

Are dealers honoring discounts across the country?  They aren’t here. A buddy ordered a new Ford, and two dealers wouldn’t honor it at all. I’m looking at Jeep’s and I can’t get anything on the lot, but can (with a few exceptions) if I order. 

16 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I got a great deal but after the past 3 years in a Ford, I realized I'm a Ford guy.  Love the looks and the power of the diesel but not how it drives.  Wife drove the expedition and the tahoe/suburbans and she also prefers the ford (which is crazy b/c we agree on NOTHING).  She stated they drove like trucks.  That said, resale is way better on the GM SUVs.  This app thing just annoyed me and I'll make a ton on this one b/c of when I ordered and what has happened to the market.  Also the AT4 feels like the size of an F250 w/o the capacity.  Its my daily and the F250 actually drives more car like than the AT4.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, RyanB said:

Are dealers honoring discounts across the country?  They aren’t here. A buddy ordered a new Ford, and two dealers wouldn’t honor it at all. I’m looking at Jeep’s and I can’t get anything on the lot, but can (with a few exceptions) if I order. 

You can find random deals but most of my local dealers are MSRP on Ford orders.  The GM guys want market adj on top of MSRP, for an order? .. WTH?  Might be able to find a mid-west dealer to do 3% off MSRP (Granger Ford, IA) but that may not be worth it for most (not me).  

1 hour ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I'm sorry, but we are all in the 1-2% er's here...

Put me in the 3% category.  I got that way by not paying extra monthly fees.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

You earn points with the GM app as well and with paying for the monthly subscription, any maintenance cost, any accessory purchase or any vehicle purchase. I'm sorry, but we are all in the 1-2% er's here and to complain about $15/month for a vehicle that costs 75K+ is crazy. It is the way to world is going, I don't love it, but look at all of the subscriptions we all pay for month over month or year over year. I just got a full set of weather techs with my points. I also like how I can flip between my wifes car and my truck on the same app. Maybe Ford's is like that too, don't know. Why do I pay for Disney+? For the convenience of having any Disney movie available at a moments notice for my daughter and to keep me sane. Why do I pay for Strava? For the convenience of my wife being able track me live when I am on a ride and so she can file for her life insurance payment immediately :lol:. That said, if @JeffK is right that you can still use it free to get unlock/lock and remote start then I will for sure ditch that bill. Pretty sure I tried that a few years ago when they started the monthly fee though. 

I just checked and mine locks and unlocks still.....  It will say unable to connect in the status section, but the basic features worked for me

• Like 2

Dealers here are honoring the discount if you're an employee or family member.  I've seen local dealers adding 10-15k on in stock or dealer ordered super duty trucks.  However I did get a custom order quoted for a few points below MSRP out of state.  His advise to me was "if you have the discount available to you, use it locally and you're going to get the truck in the same time as you would if you order from me and at a lower cost.  Ford discounts are not flexible and apply to MSRP, not market adjusted MSRP".

41 minutes ago, JeffK said:

I just checked and mine locks and unlocks still.....  It will say unable to connect in the status section, but the basic features worked for me

Not mine - it tells me to call to get a subscription.

1 hour ago, JeffK said:

I spoke with OnStar and they confirmed I had expired but had to check on what I was 'offered' so you may have gotten enrolled under a 5 year deal or 1 year or ??

1 hour ago, Slayer said:

Dealers here are honoring the discount if you're an employee or family member.  I've seen local dealers adding 10-15k on in stock or dealer ordered super duty trucks.  However I did get a custom order quoted for a few points below MSRP out of state.  His advise to me was "if you have the discount available to you, use it locally and you're going to get the truck in the same time as you would if you order from me and at a lower cost.  Ford discounts are not flexible and apply to MSRP, not market adjusted MSRP".

Employee Purchase for Stellantis is off MSRP plus any available discounts and less dealer hold back. Really good program.  I can’t find a local dealer that will honor it for a vehicle on the ground, and I don’t really blame them. I’d rather order anyway but am quoted 4-5 months. 

My buddy ordered a F-350 in August and just got delivery. He called a couple dealers before ordering and they would not honor whatever supplier discount he qualifies for. 

15 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

I spoke with OnStar and they confirmed I had expired but had to check on what I was 'offered' so you may have gotten enrolled under a 5 year deal or 1 year or ??

I didn't ever sign up for onstar, so I'm not sure.