Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

GM pulling heated/cooled seats and heated steering wheels due to chip shortage

UWSkier

51 minutes ago, RyanB said:

Employee Purchase for Stellantis is off MSRP plus any available discounts and less dealer hold back. Really good program.  I can’t find a local dealer that will honor it for a vehicle on the ground, and I don’t really blame them. I’d rather order anyway but am quoted 4-5 months. 

My buddy ordered a F-350 in August and just got delivery. He called a couple dealers before ordering and they would not honor whatever supplier discount he qualifies for. 

Supplier is different than employee.  I've heard that before.

3 hours ago, justgary said:

Put me in the 3% category.  I got that way by not paying extra monthly fees.

Just because you have it, doesn't mean you have to spend it.

8 minutes ago, Hemmy said:

Just because you have it, doesn't mean you have to spend it.

Exactly.  Give me ten years without a major market crash and I may be looking for ways to spend it.

33 minutes ago, justgary said:

Exactly.  Give me ten years without a major market crash and I may be looking for ways to spend it.

Oh man .. I wish it was 10 years out, feels more like 10 mins out.

On 11/17/2021 at 5:03 AM, Slayer said:

Sorry to hear that.  I have heard good things about that engine.  The AT4 is pretty slick, too.  I really like them.

However, one of the many reasons I don't buy GM products is the $15/month fee for the convenience of the phone app.  It's ridiculous to me that you should have to subscribe to that.  Another point of contention for me with GM products compared to Ford specifically is that IME the GM is more expensive when optioned the same way, or as closely as you can get it based on how options are packaged.   

I don't blame @pauley71at all for his position.  The convenience is hard to beat and your earn points which can be used to offset maintenance costs if you use the app the right way.  And in the winter when you're traveling......big winner to be able to start your truck from your phone when you get off the plane and have it all warm when you get to it.  Same in the summer.  You get to it and it's all cooled off for you.  Love that functionality.  That, and the keyless entry are some of the things that keep me in a Ford.  

I'm currently on a 3 month free program that normally cost $29.95 and have about a month left. I don't know if I'll keep it. I've used it exactly zero times since it's been on my phone. I use my key fob to start my truck and use the on board command center to check everything else. 

I don't need data as I have my phone, navigation or anything like that. The only thing I might use is road side assistance if I get a flat with my camper on. Even that I would probably do it myself so I don't have to wait 5 hours. 

6 minutes ago, malibu2004 said:

I'm currently on a 3 month free program that normally cost $29.95 and have about a month left. I don't know if I'll keep it. I've used it exactly zero times since it's been on my phone. I use my key fob to start my truck and use the on board command center to check everything else. 

I don't need data as I have my phone, navigation or anything like that. The only thing I might use is road side assistance if I get a flat with my camper on. Even that I would probably do it myself so I don't have to wait 5 hours. 

This is one of the things I love about Ford.  I can't remember the last time I carried keys, or a key fob.  Ford's keyless entry is sweet.  I keep one in the truck, and one at the house at all times.  I use my phone to start it and I'm good to go.  

49 minutes ago, Slayer said:

This is one of the things I love about Ford.  I can't remember the last time I carried keys, or a key fob.  Ford's keyless entry is sweet.  I keep one in the truck, and one at the house at all times.  I use my phone to start it and I'm good to go.  

This is my single biggest gripe with my GMC HD.  I've had 7 fords with keyless entry and it drives me crazy to carry keys or worry about locking myself out.  I love everything else about the truck.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, wedge88 said:

This is my single biggest gripe with my GMC HD.  I've had 7 fords with keyless entry and it drives me crazy to carry keys or worry about locking myself out.  I love everything else about the truck.

Ha .. GM says pay me $15 and you will never be locked out!  I also loved the keypad on the door.  Surprised another manufacturer hasn't implemented the same.  Patent?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, pauley71 said:

Ha .. GM says pay me $15 and you will never be locked out!  I also loved the keypad on the door.  Surprised another manufacturer hasn't implemented the same.  Patent?

Good question.  It surprises me, too.  

On 11/17/2021 at 5:49 AM, pauley71 said:

I got a great deal but after the past 3 years in a Ford, I realized I'm a Ford guy.  Love the looks and the power of the diesel but not how it drives.  Wife drove the expedition and the tahoe/suburbans and she also prefers the ford (which is crazy b/c we agree on NOTHING).  She stated they drove like trucks.  That said, resale is way better on the GM SUVs.  This app thing just annoyed me and I'll make a ton on this one b/c of when I ordered and what has happened to the market.  Also the AT4 feels like the size of an F250 w/o the capacity.  Its my daily and the F250 actually drives more car like than the AT4.

Was your f150 on stock tires or oversized all terrains like the AT4 is? Go drive a ford with the tremor package and my guess is your experience will be the same (“feels more like a truck”). My neighbor has an f350 tremor and it doesn’t ride like a car compared to my AT4. I also went from an f150 to an AT4. I feel like a lot of the difference is the tires and the terrible rancho shocks they outfit the AT4 with. If I decide to keep this truck long term, I’m going to dump the shocks for something that rides better. 

I agree with you that the ford app was far superior to gm’s and I too was surprised that it took an onstar plan to have the same functionality Ford gives you for free. Ram is the same way, have to pay for a plan to have remote start and lock/unlock using their phone app. 

Edited by Pnwrider
Typo
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Slayer said:

Yep, me too with everything above.  I don't have a sweet truck like you guys - but a company Edge.  By far one of the best features is the number pad on the side.  

2017-2022 GM Keyless Entry Keypad 23473341 | GM Parts Center/  $103 and install time less than 1hr. How much does Ford charge for it?

ac4f008a8a0393fb8bde6f75ca2b6cea.gif

Edited by MLBurns
31 minutes ago, MLBurns said:

2017-2022 GM Keyless Entry Keypad 23473341 | GM Parts Center/  $103 and install time less than 1hr. How much does Ford charge for it?

I thought it's standard on Fords?

27 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Been keeping track of keys since I was 5, really don't understand why having a car key is such an issue.

The keypad is awesome... sometimes even when your hands are too full to reach in your pocket for the key, but you can punch the numbers and unlock the doors.  But also for when I'm going on a mountain bike ride or going to the lake or doing any activity where I could get wet or lose the key, it's great to lock it inside and then punch the numbers and get back in when I'm done with the activity.  It seems sorta dumb, but 10000% useful once you get used to having it.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

The keypad is awesome... sometimes even when your hands are too full to reach in your pocket for the key, but you can punch the numbers and unlock the doors.  But also for when I'm going on a mountain bike ride or going to the lake or doing any activity where I could get wet or lose the key, it's great to lock it inside and then punch the numbers and get back in when I'm done with the activity.  It seems sorta dumb, but 10000% useful once you get used to having it.

I also like it when we go hunting with a group.  If we split up, the first one back to the truck can unlock it, and drive to where I'm at.

Not something you realize how useful it is until you have it.

• Like 3
22 hours ago, MLBurns said:

I don't have a keypad on my GMC truck.

My buddy is a Ford only guy and his keypad on his 04 broke and cost around $700 to fix each time so he stopped fixing it. I think he fixed is 4 or 5 times and complained each time.  

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago he spent $87,000 on a F350, King Ranch and Ford can't get the app to work on his or his wife's phone. Nothing works on it and they have to clue why. 

ahopkins22LSV
3 hours ago, RyanB said:

I also like it when we go hunting with a group.  If we split up, the first one back to the truck can unlock it, and drive to where I'm at.

Not something you realize how useful it is until you have it.

I will say, it is nice on my friends F150 when we are mountain biking and he drives. First one back to the truck gets the full selection and coldest beer. :biggrin:

• Haha 2
8 minutes ago, malibu2004 said:

My buddy is a Ford only guy and his keypad on his 04 broke and cost around $700 to fix each time so he stopped fixing it. I think he fixed is 4 or 5 times and complained each time.  

That sucks. Sounds like a very outlier type experience.  Even when I had a 16 year old excursion (01 in 17), the keypad still worked like a champ.  LOL, lots of other stuff not so much, but the keypad was fine.