Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

GM pulling heated/cooled seats and heated steering wheels due to chip shortage

UWSkier

ahopkins22LSV

There is some hope… no idea what happened but a month before my truck was built GM announced that the start/stop feature was not going to be there because of chips. My truck and another friends both have it. He works for GM on the truck programs and even he doesn’t know why we have it or what happened. If it is anything like my company, it literally depends one the day, sometimes hour. 

ahopkins22LSV
59 minutes ago, RyanB said:

That is one feature I would pay to opt out of. I hate that EPA BS. 

I actually got a credit for it… and wasn’t disappointed to not have it. But since I have it, oh well..

7 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I actually got a credit for it… and wasn’t disappointed to not have it. But since I have it, oh well..

You finally got a heated steering wheel? 

I thought 10k over what I paid was a good price, I’ll wait a month and ask my local dealer for more now!

5 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

Crazy times. 

That 12 billion dollar chip factory being built outside Phoenix sure looks like they're in full swing, never seen so many cranes in one place.

They won’t be manufacturing automotive chips in that fab. 

12 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

There is some hope… no idea what happened but a month before my truck was built GM announced that the start/stop feature was not going to be there because of chips. My truck and another friends both have it. He works for GM on the truck programs and even he doesn’t know why we have it or what happened. If it is anything like my company, it literally depends one the day, sometimes hour. 

Ford gave the option to remove the auto start/stop and I think gave a $200 credit.  I think they did this in late July.  Since my truck already had a VIN assigned to it and a scheduled build date, I wasn't able to have it removed.  I can turn it off easy, but it is still a pointless feature to me since I turn it off as soon as I start my truck or get to a Stop sign and realize my engine turned off.

12 hours ago, dwc032 said:

I ordered a 2022 3500 duramax high country in August. Its been almost 4 months and still no production date.  We will see how it goes in the coming months. 

My wife's cousin ordered a Kia Telluride and she was told 6-9 months.  It is crazy what some of the differences are in lead times.  I ordered my Raptor in July and took delivery in September.  It was just a little over two months for me, but others are still waiting.  I sell some plastic fenders to an Amish company that makes buggies and his lead time is almost 2 years.  The Amish are in no hurry though. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Hemmy said:

Ford gave the option to remove the auto start/stop and I think gave a $200 credit.  I think they did this in late July.  Since my truck already had a VIN assigned to it and a scheduled build date, I wasn't able to have it removed.  I can turn it off easy, but it is still a pointless feature to me since I turn it off as soon as I start my truck or get to a Stop sign and realize my engine turned off.

Interesting.  I have come to appreciate the auto stop feature in my truck.  I have noticed that it saves about 0.1 MPG on any given 20-minute cross-town trip.  That's not much, but that comes out to about 50 cents in fuel per fill up.  I recognize that I'm playing a game now with the truck, and have changed my driving behavior to try to optimize the times when the engine is off.  Mainly, that means that I don't creep up any more at a light.

I always watch a few cars ahead of me anyway, so I begin letting the brake off when the second car in front starts moving.  The engine is generally running and ready to go before the car in front of me is moving.

The A/C kept up even in the heat of the summer, but I did notice that it won't kill the engine when the air is above 93*F outside.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, justgary said:

Interesting.  I have come to appreciate the auto stop feature in my truck.  I have noticed that it saves about 0.1 MPG on any given 20-minute cross-town trip.  That's not much, but that comes out to about 50 cents in fuel per fill up.  I recognize that I'm playing a game now with the truck, and have changed my driving behavior to try to optimize the times when the engine is off.  Mainly, that means that I don't creep up any more at a light.

I always watch a few cars ahead of me anyway, so I begin letting the brake off when the second car in front starts moving.  The engine is generally running and ready to go before the car in front of me is moving.

The A/C kept up even in the heat of the summer, but I did notice that it won't kill the engine when the air is above 93*F outside.

The engine won't shut off if the interior is requiring more heat or AC.

Heated seats?!?! .. ok nice, but some BMWs are going to come without a screen!  What does iDrive do now?  $500 credit will not cut it.

"...BMW confirmed to both Edmunds and Autoblog that several models will be shipped without touchscreen functionality, including the BMW 3 Series, BMW 4 Series Coupe, Convertible and Gran Coupe (excluding the i4), BMW X5, BMW X6, BMW X7 and BMW Z4..."

https://hypebeast.com/2021/11/bmw-removing-touchscreens-chip-shortage

• Sad 1

I could live without these features for a short while as long as there's a guaranteed date for a retrofit.  If not, they'd better be knocking off way more than just a few hundred bucks if I'm back driving a car with 2005 level technology.

34 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

I could live without these features for a short while as long as there's a guaranteed date for a retrofit.  If not, they'd better be knocking off way more than just a few hundred bucks if I'm back driving a car with 2005 level technology.

Agreed - a $50 credit is nothing when you are missing a feature completely.  Something like heated seats, which in MN is a must now that I have them is not something I am willing to compromise on.  I WAS in the market for a new truck until all of these features started being removed.....now I will wait it out.

2 hours ago, pauley71 said:

Heated seats?!?! .. ok nice, but some BMWs are going to come without a screen!  What does iDrive do now?  $500 credit will not cut it.

"...BMW confirmed to both Edmunds and Autoblog that several models will be shipped without touchscreen functionality, including the BMW 3 Series, BMW 4 Series Coupe, Convertible and Gran Coupe (excluding the i4), BMW X5, BMW X6, BMW X7 and BMW Z4..."

https://hypebeast.com/2021/11/bmw-removing-touchscreens-chip-shortage

Idrive will still work, but you will use the controller for everything. Still a screen, just no touch screen.

6 hours ago, Hemmy said:

The engine won't shut off if the interior is requiring more heat or AC.

The list I have seen so far that keeps it from killing the engine:

• Engine warming up
  • Outside air temperature too high (seems to be just above 93)
  • Inside environmental control
  • Towing (not towing mode, just detects a trailer connected)
  • Steering wheel turned (I guess they think you will drive over a curb when it starts)
  • Engine on until next stop (it won't kill it twice per stop)
  • Sport mode (I have only used this once or twice; the truck doesn't seem to need it)

Admittedly, I am not a GM guy, but I wonder what impact this would have on sales?  Honestly, heated and cooled seats are a requirement for me now.  Especially on a new, high trim level vehicle.

I'll likely order a new vehicle in the next couple of days.  Dealer is quoting 4 - 5 months before delivery.  Was at a dealer last night and with very few vehicles on the lot, they still had at least 6 salespeople working.  How are these people making a living?

I wonder about this as well.   I think the used market is big and dealerships are almost all very active In the auction sector to get used inventory.  Also from three people I know that own dealerships, they’ve always said they make the bulk of profits in the service department not sales.  That’s different for some high end cars in the 6 figure range but even my friend who owns the local Ferrari dealership only sells 20-30 new cars a year but they do very well in service. 

34 minutes ago, RyanB said:

Admittedly, I am not a GM guy, but I wonder what impact this would have on sales?  Honestly, heated and cooled seats are a requirement for me now.  Especially on a new, high trim level vehicle.

I'll likely order a new vehicle in the next couple of days.  Dealer is quoting 4 - 5 months before delivery.  Was at a dealer last night and with very few vehicles on the lot, they still had at least 6 salespeople working.  How are these people making a living?

I agree.  I won't buy a vehicle without the cooled seats at this point either.

Well I just bought a 2021 GMC Sierra AT4 Carbon Pro with the diesel.  I got all the options I ordered (thankfully) but 30 days after I brought it home I found out I have to pay $15/month to use the phone app?!?!  GM .. get with it.  It was free on my F150.  Great looking truck and the engine is very nice but likely going to dump it and go back to Ford.  

ahopkins22LSV
3 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

Well I just bought a 2021 GMC Sierra AT4 Carbon Pro with the diesel.  I got all the options I ordered (thankfully) but 30 days after I brought it home I found out I have to pay $15/month to use the phone app?!?!  GM .. get with it.  It was free on my F150.  Great looking truck and the engine is very nice but likely going to dump it and go back to Ford.  

You are going to go through the hassle of purchasing a new vehicle right now because of $15/month?

Yes, it annoys me too, but it is $15. Annoys me even more than you probably because it used to be free. The convenience of it outweighs the cost though.