Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How to price a 2013 Vlx with supercharged engine

Trigger

My new boat will be delivered next week and I need to sell my 2013 Vlx. The new boats just went up 18% ( 10% for year model change and 8% shortly thereafter) My boat has upgraded  sound system with 2 subs, navigation, tower camera, heated seat, heater, Cadillac STS supercharged engine, screen was replaced last year, approximately 450 hours… will have to double check hours. I originally thought 75k was a fair price, but given the price increases lately that may be low. What is the best way to determine a fair price without shooting myself in the foot. I have a few friends that may be interested in buying it… so I’m interested in being fair to both parties.

Look on boat trader for similar boats/engine type and hours.   Other options, custom stuff, doesn’t help with price so don’t take that into account.   Take the average list price, deduct 10-15% and that is a fair price that most similar boats probably my sell at. All list prices have wiggle room for negotiation.    That’s exactly what I did with my m235 I sold in September to prep for my new m240 and I did very well and sold the boat in a week. 

@trigger

For me, it's all about condition first and foremost.  A perfect boat with 500 hours that was well-loved is worth more to me as a buyer than low hours and not loved/beat up.  If you've been a fanatical owner, you'll be rewarded at resale.

I can't believe you have a VLX with the blown Caddy engine.  That thing has to RIP in a 21 ft boat, I love it!  It's probably the only VLX made that year with that engine so it will be hard to compare directly.  There are only 3 2013 VLX's for sale on onlyinboards, all with 350 engines.  $63K on the low end with 775 hours and $83K on the top end.  There's a very nice looking one with 210 hrs at $74,900.

Your challenge is you quickly start creeping up into bigger, newer boat territory on price if you go much higher.  There's a 2013 Malibu 23 LSV with the LS3 engine for sale in MO for $81K with 160 hours on it.  That's your competition from a price standpoint.

Good luck, your boat sounds awesome!

image.png

2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Be hard to find many comparable boats with that engine. What are the boats with the standard 350ss selling for?  Then add at least 5k for that engine.

That thing has got to be a kick to drive.

That thing drives like a jet ski… I’m moving up to the 23 LSV so I had to go with the LT4 or I would be going backwards… 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, EchelonMike said:

@trigger

For me, it's all about condition first and foremost.  A perfect boat with 500 hours that was well-loved is worth more to me as a buyer than low hours and not loved/beat up.  If you've been a fanatical owner, you'll be rewarded at resale.

I can't believe you have a VLX with the blown Caddy engine.  That thing has to RIP in a 21 ft boat, I love it!  It's probably the only VLX made that year with that engine so it will be hard to compare directly.  There are only 3 2013 VLX's for sale on onlyinboards, all with 350 engines.  $63K on the low end with 775 hours and $83K on the top end.  There's a very nice looking one with 210 hrs at $74,900.

Your challenge is you quickly start creeping up into bigger, newer boat territory on price if you go much higher.  There's a 2013 Malibu 23 LSV with the LS3 engine for sale in MO for $81K with 160 hours on it.  That's your competition from a price standpoint.

Good luck, your boat sounds awesome!

image.png

Thanks with the engine upgrade 75-80 might be the magic number 

• Like 1

onlyinboards.com is a good place to start. 

Upgrades and stereo doesn't matter to me. overall Condition, hours and trailer condition is what matters to me. Id say 65-70 is fair. But that's just my opinion.

It's a historically not-so-good time (winter/entering the holidays) to sell a boat in an otherwise unprecedentedly HOT boat market.

Do you need to sell the boat right now, or are you willing to hold out till March?  I'd suspect that a "sell it quick" number would be somewhere in the high $60s to low $70s, and that in the spring you could get closer to the $80k mark.

Edited by shawndoggy
On 11/14/2021 at 2:46 PM, Trigger said:

That thing drives like a jet ski… I’m moving up to the 23 LSV so I had to go with the LT4 or I would be going backwards… 

Comparing the boat to a jet ski would definitely lower its value in my opinion:lol: