Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pre-owned M240 vs New M220

RudyG

Hi all - looking at two boats and struggling with this decision.  Hoping for some input from people with more experience comparing these than I have.  

The M240 has about 100hrs and comes with the LT4, GX Tower, Stern-turn, and a trailer whereas the M220 is new, but has the M6, standard tower, and no thruster or trailer.  

I only trailer 1-2x per year and I never lower the tower so these options aren't a requirement.  We like both color schemes, but the the M220 appears to be the safer play from a resale perspective.  M240 is out of state and M220 is at my local dealer.

Price difference between the deals currently is about $30k, which is not an insignificant sum to us, but wondering if the bigger boat with more options and potentially better wave would justify the difference for most of you?  Is there a large delta in resale value between these two models?  Any other decision criteria I should be weighing?  

I've never heard anyone complain about extra room or a more powerful engine.

GX power tower is not needed in your case but I think the majority of people will find it more astetically pleasing and some people will want it on a top of the line model for resale.  Same applies to the stern turn.

Not having a trailer could affect resale as there are generally less buyers. 

Overall, if you can swing it the 240 sounds like a superior boat. 

Mostly I'd be asking how important is brand new to me vs. would I be regretting a lesser optioned 22 foot when I'm on the water?  Only you can answer that.

I think at your price point there is 30k of value in the 240 over the 220.  Fun decision to have to make and congrats either way you decide to go!

• Like 2

@RudyGwhere are you located?

altitude count be a factor and the LT4 solves that concern.

how may people in your crew? We range from 4-8 on the regular, but have 10+ With kids friends . I couldn’t imagine being in anything less than our 25, we love the room / space with small group and don’t feel too cramped with the larger crew.

the cabin on the 240 definitely feels smaller than the 25 primarily because the bow playpen is huge on the 240. That being said the 220 would probably feel quite smaller than a 23lsv .

your particular type of boating experience will dictate what your need/want from your boat, but I don’t know too many boaters who move up to a larger boat , and then ever move down in size .

• Like 2

@Stevo we are at right at about 1,000' so elevation really isn't an issue.  

We are all over the place on crew size.  On week days we'll run a small crew of 4 or 5 but on weekends we are regularly 10+.  If we have more than 10, we will typically run shifts and leave several on the dock as we have several younger kids in the crew that get bored if they are having to wait to cycle through 12 people.

I'd vote 240 all day.  

I was at our dealer last spring taking delivery of our 2021 23 LSV and there was an M22 beside it awaiting it's new owner.  I crawled around it and while it's a nice boat, it gives up cabin space to the 23 LSV for sure.  I was also in a 240 and it is considerably larger.

With respect to your resale question, IMO the boat with the trailer will be an easier sell than one without.  It opens your buyer pool significantly.  

• Like 2

Unless the size/weight of the M240 or lack of easily accessible 91 octane fuel (unless you want to mix octane booster into what you can get), or the warranty does not have a transfer left in it are issues I would go with the M240.  It has already taken its "new" depreciation where the M220 does not have that factored into the price.  It will be a lot easier to get near what you paid for the M240 in two years than it will be for the M220 (again you will be selling the M240 with no warranty but not sure how much that factors in to resale) just from the boat shopping I have done.

A lot of people on this board disagree on this but we have had a 22 without the Stern Turn and a 23 with.  I would want to put that on the M220 which would cut probably 9k off the difference.  Most often mentioned around here is using ST for docking.  I find it most valuable with a young or inexperienced crew being able to keep the boat on station until they and the lake are ready and pulling them up in the same relative position to the boat every time.

When the Wake Days came thru the M220 they had was running the LT4, also demoed the same config with an M6 and high altitude prop.  Opposite ends of the prop spectrum but the M6 was so much louder than the LT4 at surf speed it was really surprising.  I would bet that the cabin of the M240 would be quiter than the M220 based engine optioned.

With our crew space gets used is all I can say, more room is either more friends or more comfort. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2021 at 10:17 AM, RudyG said:

Hi all - looking at two boats and struggling with this decision.  Hoping for some input from people with more experience comparing these than I have.  

The M240 has about 100hrs and comes with the LT4, GX Tower, Stern-turn, and a trailer whereas the M220 is new, but has the M6, standard tower, and no thruster or trailer.  

I only trailer 1-2x per year and I never lower the tower so these options aren't a requirement.  We like both color schemes, but the the M220 appears to be the safer play from a resale perspective.  M240 is out of state and M220 is at my local dealer.

Price difference between the deals currently is about $30k, which is not an insignificant sum to us, but wondering if the bigger boat with more options and potentially better wave would justify the difference for most of you?  Is there a large delta in resale value between these two models?  Any other decision criteria I should be weighing?  

You absolutely need a trailer.  What did you end up getting?

If you have a lift and your dealer can pickup the boat not having a trailer wouldn’t be the end of the world. Just be ready to have 10k put aside to either order a trailer or discount the final sale price when it comes time to sell. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 11/30/2021 at 2:10 PM, Gene3x said:

You absolutely need a trailer.  What did you end up getting?

Need for  a trailer depends on location.  At our lake in Georgia, virtually no one has trailers.  Trailers are viewed as a huge negative, because you have to pay to store them while your boat is on a lift all year, or in the marina for storage.  If you need a trailer here, very easy to get the dealership to loan you one. 

• 3 months later...

Sorry for reviving this old post and ghosting last year.  Not cool as the OP, but we got tied up with some family health issues in late Nov/Dec and didn't have much time to spend online.  Ended up with the M240 and spring/summer can't get here soon enough! 

Thanks for all of the input on this thread.  

Edited by RudyG