Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Overweight Towing Crash Results in Charges

shawndoggy

32 minutes ago, Texan32 said:

LLC established in 2012.  Question is, where all does the liability rest?  Driver for disregarding defective trailer (assuming he knew)?  Driver for ignorance (assuming he didnt know the trailer was defective)?  LLC for allowing driver to tow with defective trailer?  Trailer owner (if not owned by the LLC) for renting defective trailer?

Seems there are many ways that this could go.  But ultimately, the driver has the responsibility to make sure he can safely tow.  He did not, but still got behind the wheel. 

LLC for allowing a driver without a CDL drive a commercial load for them.

52 minutes ago, Texan32 said:

LLC established in 2012.  Question is, where all does the liability rest?  Driver for disregarding defective trailer (assuming he knew)?  Driver for ignorance (assuming he didnt know the trailer was defective)?  LLC for allowing driver to tow with defective trailer?  Trailer owner (if not owned by the LLC) for renting defective trailer?

Seems there are many ways that this could go.  But ultimately, the driver has the responsibility to make sure he can safely tow.  He did not, but still got behind the wheel. 

Driver likely has personal liability for negligence / gross negligence 

If driver was an employee, LLC would have liability for actions of employee

Even if driver was an independent contractor, LLC could have direct liability if it knowingly sent un/under licensed driver out to do job with LLC's insufficient equipment.

Trailer owner could have some liability though seems like there could be a lot of wiggle room there (brakes worked last I checked, rental agreement has LLC assuming risk, etc etc).  Did the trailer owner know that the LLC was going to pull the trailer out to NV to pick up a boat?  Or were they just using the trailer to move big dogs around in a FL boat yard?

If principals of LLC (i.e. the breathing humans behind it) were the ones who sent the driver out on the road knowing he was un/under licensed and knowing the truck wasn't DOT registered and the trailer was defective, seems like they could have some negligence liability personally as well.  LLC can't shield living breathing people from liability for their own negligence.  If that worked, everyone would drop their kids into an LLC the minute they were born.

The real question in all this is who has money to satisfy a judgment?  IIRC FL is pretty generous with its BK exemptions?  The most likely defendants are whomever in the chain have insurance.  

Edited by shawndoggy
1 minute ago, shawndoggy said:

Driver likely has personal liability for negligence / gross negligence 

If driver was an employee, LLC would have liability for actions of employee

Even if driver was an independent contractor, LLC could have direct liability if it knowingly sent un/under licensed driver out to do job with LLC's insufficient equipment.

Trailer owner could have some liability though seems like there could be a lot of wiggle room there (brakes worked last I checked, rental agreement has LLC assuming risk, etc etc).  Did the trailer owner know that the LLC was going to pull the trailer out to NV to pick up a boat?  Or were they just using the trailer to move big dogs around in a FL boat yard?

If principals of LLC (i.e. the breathing humans behind it) were the ones who sent the driver out on the road knowing he was un/under licensed and knowing the truck wasn't DOT registered and the trailer was defective, seems like they could have some negligence liability personally as well.  

The real question in all this is who has money to satisfy a judgment?  IIRC FL is pretty generous with its BK exemptions?  The most likely defendants are whomever in the chain have insurance.  

My .02 - they have an LLC for shipping where their tow vehicle is a 2017 F350 - they got no money.  I'm curious if their listed insurance policy would even pay out with an unlicensed/improperly licensed driver.

1 minute ago, oldjeep said:

My .02 - they have an LLC for shipping where their tow vehicle is a 2017 F350 - they got no money.  I'm curious if their listed insurance policy would even pay out with an unlicensed/improperly licensed driver.

100%.  Undersized truck, janky trailer, under-licensed driver, overweight load... this reeks of the low bid on uship.

Didn't an earlier article say it was being hauled to storage?  Weird for a FL transporter to be involved, right?!  And not quite as strange but can you imagine having a $1.5m+ boat and going with the lowest bid on U-Ship for cross-country transport?

2 minutes ago, Fffrank said:

Didn't an earlier article say it was being hauled to storage?  Weird for a FL transporter to be involved, right?!  And not quite as strange but can you imagine having a $1.5m+ boat and going with the lowest bid on U-Ship for cross-country transport?

Lots of folks have stuff they can barely afford the payments on

• Like 3
On 11/11/2021 at 11:17 PM, Sparky450 said:

This just reminded me. Back when I was 18. My employer sent me to the lumber yard for a load of lumber. I was young and had not pulled/loaded many trailers. I was going down the highway and jackknifed it at 60 mph. It was loaded tail heavy, tongue light. Luckily I held it long enough fir the traffic to give it room to happen. I have never loaded a trailer tail heavy since 

Yep I towed 1 trailer that was tail heavy. Never have since.

55 minutes ago, bretcole said:

So shawndoggy have you towed the a24 with the ecoboost yet?

I have. Just around town (less than 55 mph) but it seems to tow fine. I’m probably going to end up upgrading the transmission cooler out of an abundance of caution but the truck seemed to tow and stop just fine. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2021 at 9:31 PM, shawndoggy said:

Indeed!!!!

Haha, that thread resulted in his best tow vehicle to date.  :lol:  

Disclaimer....I may or may not still be rocking the same rig with a 6 speed manual.  :) 

The boat went airborne over another car, landed still upright and in the same plane of motion such that it could then just coast to a stop?   I am not saying that couldn’t/didn’t happen, but what are the odds?

• 7 months later...

This just in..... from The Nevada Appeal:

CARSON CITY, Nev. (KOLO) - The man who caused a deadly crash at Spooner Junction in Carson City was sent to prison on Thursday.

According to First Judicial District Court documents, Roney Gonzalez Otazo pleaded guilty to two counts of reckless driving causing death causing substantial bodily harm in May. Gonzalez Otazo will serve at least three years in prison but could serve up to 10. He was also ordered to pay restitution to the victims.

In November 2021, Gonzalez Otazo was towing a large boat and failed to stop at a red light. The boat was reportedly 16,000 pounds over the recommended weight limit for the truck he was driving. According to Nevada State Police, brake failure may have been to blame.

A husband and wife were killed in the crash, and several others were injured.

Sad, on many levels.