Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Automatic boat covers ?

RCorsa

Just purchased a new 2022 m240 and considering an automatic boat cover made by Sunstream for my dock.   Anyone ever used/have one and anything you would or would not recommend.  I’m told You can set it up to cover the tower with the Bimini extended.   

E3BB1075-962E-4F3A-A4E8-324E2B4F2854.jpeg

8C84A7CB-9B64-4866-B0B4-B8B8F16CB02A.jpeg

• Like 1

I think they were made for down south or coastal areas where canopies and roof structures are prohibited..

I'm curious on how you go about the custom cover without having your boat taken to a custom shop. 

Thanks. Unfortunately our local municipality doesn’t allow boat houses or permanent covers any longer due to the shade they cause over the water which apparently effects salmon spawning?   I decided to do the automatic cover.  My wife flipped out a bit on the $17,000 bill which was definitely a bit of a shock but I justified it by looking all the options on these boats which are outrageous $(I think the stereo system was close to $20,000). 

Regarding the pattern/fit they simply asked what model I had and which tower and if I wanted the cover patterned with the Bimini extended or retracted.  Rep said they’ve done the m240 a few times 

Edited by RCorsa
  • Like 2

no matter how good it is,  its the fan you run under it 24/7 that makes it stay perfect $17000 or not, looks very nice but down south moisture is king even if your cover doesn't let rain in 

Yeah we are outside of Seattle so it is not too humid but rather rain is what we need protection from.  In the cold winters I usually pull the boat off the lake and into indoor heated storage. 

On 11/10/2021 at 10:11 PM, RCorsa said:

$17,000 bill

I wonder if that is the reason for the crickets....mmmmmmmyes. 

Touchless Covers look are the option in East TN as we don't care about taking away 0.001% of the sunshine away from the fishies by installing a roof. They are nowhere near that ticket. Plus, unless you buy dumb, they fit your next boat perfectly too!

On 11/10/2021 at 8:47 PM, pauley71 said:

Here's another option depending on your dock.   We have boathouse structures (with a roof) so not sure the type @RCorsa posted would work but that looks very cool.

https://touchlesscover.com/touchless-product/automatic-boat-covers-for-ski-wake-boats/

I actuality like this version better. Any idea of the price point on this style?

57 minutes ago, barefootpaul said:

I actuality like this version better. Any idea of the price point on this style?

Don't recall the last time I quoted it but maybe $7k.  I know someone with one and while it works great, it doesn't prevent dust from settling b/c its not tied tight to the boat.  It has a top so its great if you have a bird problem (keeps crap off the cover - literally).

On 11/10/2021 at 10:22 PM, granddaddy55 said:

no matter how good it is,  its the fan you run under it 24/7 that makes it stay perfect $17000 or not, looks very nice but down south moisture is king even if your cover doesn't let rain in 

Yup. 

Here in the northeast we do tons of lifts with a traditional canopy.  Canopy costs maybe $3-4K in addition to the lift.  Longer sides and side curtains are available, but really arent needed, everyone is happy with the protection of a traditional canopy. 

We have a few neighbors and friends who have tried a touchless cover type, and after a couple years the general consensus is its not worth the extra $$ or hassle compared to a traditional canopy.

BUT

This is in the northeast - many of our lakes freeze, so usually everything needs to easily come out seasonally.  

You guys are saying that down south there are regulations against canopies because of the shade they provide??   Curious how much more shade a canopy provides vs the shade of the boat and dock only??   Seems extreme?  I can understand appearance especially on small lots that could encroach on your neighbors view for sure.

IMG_3384.jpeg

• Like 3