Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

96 sunsetter sat for 10 years

Hey yall, i recently purchased a 96 sunsetter with the black scorpion 315 motor(doing a full restore) it sat for 10 years and have questions about the fuel system and direct drive. Ive rebuilt other boats but all were carb and had outdrives. The fuel in thw tank was completely dark and nasty. I pulled the tank and will be letting it soak in sea foam and clean it the best i can. As far as the rest of the fuel sysytem is there anything besides filter change i should look out for? And anything motor wise im missing besides impeller starter and fluid changes? 

I'd replace the fuel and exhaust hoses just to be on the safe side.  You don't really want a leak in either one.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, justgary said:

I'd replace the fuel and exhaust hoses just to be on the safe side.  You don't really want a leak in either one.

The rubber couplings? Or the metal down pipes? Is there anything i should do to the tranny? All fluids look clean and will be changed.

4 minutes ago, Lester said:

The rubber couplings? Or the metal down pipes? Is there anything i should do to the tranny? All fluids look clean and will be changed.

All of the rubber.  It does degrade over time.

Since you mentioned it, you may want to pull the risers from the exhaust and make sure that the manifolds and risers haven't rotted out.  You can bend a rod if the cooling water gets back into the exhaust manifold and into a cylinder.

1 minute ago, justgary said:

All of the rubber.  It does degrade over time.

Since you mentioned it, you may want to pull the risers from the exhaust and make sure that the manifolds and risers haven't rotted out.  You can bend a rod if the cooling water gets back into the exhaust manifold and into a cylinder.

Sure thing i will do that.  Thanks!

As far as cleaning the fuel tank if sea foam doesn’t remove skim on the inside of the tank I would be worried it could break down and plug the fuel filter. I have cleaned old tanks in the past by placing a few hand full of 3/8” clean pea gravel with a little bit of diesel fuel and shook the heck out of the tank. Gravel is small enough to loosen up the skim using a flash light you can see where you need to focus more agitation 

9 hours ago, Bird said:

As far as cleaning the fuel tank if sea foam doesn’t remove skim on the inside of the tank I would be worried it could break down and plug the fuel filter. I have cleaned old tanks in the past by placing a few hand full of 3/8” clean pea gravel with a little bit of diesel fuel and shook the heck out of the tank. Gravel is small enough to loosen up the skim using a flash light you can see where you need to focus more agitation 

I was worried about that aswell, i was planning on adding an inline filter before the big one, but my yard is pea gravel so i will deffinately be adding some to help aggitate. I also thought about hooking a flexible hose to my pressure washer and letting it knock around in there. Its pretty bad the fuel is dark brown and doesnt even smell of fuel and there is sludge all over the tank.

If it were me I would go ahead and pull the injectors and send them out to be cleaned/checked.  Last I checked it was $20/each.  I have to think there was fuel sitting in those for 10 years that would be gummed up.

Edited by cla10beck

@Lester - I would assume the entire fuel system needs a service.  As noted, replace all the rubber fuel lines with ethanol compatible lines, pull any metal lines and inspect for corrosion and replace if necessary, replace fuel filter.  Is that a TBI or MPI setup?  Clean injectors or clean throttle body depending on type.  I suggest removing spark plugs, and squirting each cylinder with seafoam or fogging spray and checking to see if engine turns over freely (with plugs removed should be less than 30 ft-lbs or grunt required) after you let it soak in for a while.  I would drain all the fluids and replace,  particularly if you don't know the history.  +1 on replacing the exhaust hoses, impeller, you might want to install a new thermostat.  Have you looked at the distributor cap / rotor, good chance some corrosion there.  I would probably pull the block drain plugs (center side of block) & check for corrosion / blockage.

15 minutes ago, Woodski said:

@Lester - I would assume the entire fuel system needs a service.  As noted, replace all the rubber fuel lines with ethanol compatible lines, pull any metal lines and inspect for corrosion and replace if necessary, replace fuel filter.  Is that a TBI or MPI setup?  Clean injectors or clean throttle body depending on type.  I suggest removing spark plugs, and squirting each cylinder with seafoam or fogging spray and checking to see if engine turns over freely (with plugs removed should be less than 30 ft-lbs or grunt required) after you let it soak in for a while.  I would drain all the fluids and replace,  particularly if you don't know the history.  +1 on replacing the exhaust hoses, impeller, you might want to install a new thermostat.  Have you looked at the distributor cap / rotor, good chance some corrosion there.  I would probably pull the block drain plugs (center side of block) & check for corrosion / blockage.

I plan on doing a complete tune up cap and rotor starter thermostat all fluids plugs wires the whole nine. I did turn it over by hand and instantly turned over freely. Luckily the motor cover had been on the entire time. Only thing i still am not sure what to look for is what is concerning in the exhaust and drive line. (Tranny) never dealt with either on a direct drive. I really want to see if she fires up but i do not want to grenade it in the yard because i missed somthing. Motor has 774 hrs on it i forgot to mention that

I wouldn't be too worried about the exhaust pipes. The black scorpion has a steel exhaust with small rubber connections unlike most inboards with rubber exhaust. IMG_20160618_235028.thumb.jpg.d1961166825c5b5b3b8cf3a814a1751c.jpg

The cooling system for this engine is sorta a pain to work on. The impeller is much harder to change than most inboards because its not mounted on the crankshaft. When changing the thermostat don't forget the plastic spacer number 6 or the motor wont warm up. Ours broke and we forgot to replace it and the engine would never get above 110.  I would also inspect hose number 9, we had it split on the water. The great thing about the black scorpion is it is made by Mercury so you can get parts for it anywhere because of their dealer network. There's also a website with technical drawings and parts which can be helpful http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercruiser-sterndrive-parts/black-scorpion-350-mag-ski-gen-v8-1996/0f800000-and-up12.thumb.gif.e7a093a4debfc5b5ac87b0c6cf2b6a01.gif

You're going to love this engine, its ridiculously quick out of the hole and sounds great.

14 minutes ago, roeboat said:

I wouldn't be too worried about the exhaust pipes. The black scorpion has a steel exhaust with small rubber connections unlike most inboards with rubber exhaust. IMG_20160618_235028.thumb.jpg.d1961166825c5b5b3b8cf3a814a1751c.jpg

The cooling system for this engine is sorta a pain to work on. The impeller is much harder to change than most inboards because its not mounted on the crankshaft. When changing the thermostat don't forget the plastic spacer number 6 or the motor wont warm up. Ours broke and we forgot to replace it and the engine would never get above 110.  I would also inspect hose number 9, we had it split on the water. The great thing about the black scorpion is it is made by Mercury so you can get parts for it anywhere because of their dealer network. There's also a website with technical drawings and parts which can be helpful http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercruiser-sterndrive-parts/black-scorpion-350-mag-ski-gen-v8-1996/0f800000-and-up12.thumb.gif.e7a093a4debfc5b5ac87b0c6cf2b6a01.gif

You're going to love this engine, its ridiculously quick out of the hole and sounds great.

Great thank you! I was having trouble finding any real info on the motor. Looking at it, it seems solid but 10 years is a long time to sit and rot😂 cant wait to hear her start up

49 minutes ago, Lester said:

I plan on doing a complete tune up cap and rotor starter thermostat all fluids plugs wires the whole nine. I did turn it over by hand and instantly turned over freely. Luckily the motor cover had been on the entire time. Only thing i still am not sure what to look for is what is concerning in the exhaust and drive line. (Tranny) never dealt with either on a direct drive. I really want to see if she fires up but i do not want to grenade it in the yard because i missed somthing. Motor has 774 hrs on it i forgot to mention that

I would plan on replacing the transmission fluid.  It's cheap and easy.  Simply suck the existing fluid out of the fill opening and refill.  The transmission is pretty simple and relatively bulletproof.  

• Like 2
5 hours ago, roeboat said:

I wouldn't be too worried about the exhaust pipes. The black scorpion has a steel exhaust with small rubber connections unlike most inboards with rubber exhaust. 

You should still check the risers for rust.  You should still change the rubber parts of the exhaust.  Anything that is rubber between the engine and the exhaust ports is a big issue if it splits or otherwise gets a hole in it.

• Like 2
On 11/8/2021 at 8:06 AM, Woodski said:

I got most of my tune up done today starter plugs thermostat fuel filter. Just wanted to see if it would start. And she did with carb cleaner for two seconds. I know the fuel pump was not working at all. Im leaning towards replacing obviously but i cannot find the correct one for this motor? Is there a way to salvage this one for sitting so long? Or can any one direct me to a new proper one? Thanks i get zero fuel pressure i tried tracking down the wires but could not find where they go to

Your list of parts and information resources should include:  SkiDim, Bakes, Michigan Motorz, iboats, Wholesale Marine.  A google search will pop up numerous options on chasing Mercruiser parts.