Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Commercial Sewing GX tower down cover

trungsc156

I have a 2019 Malibu 22 MXZ and recently bought a Commercial Sewing GX tower down cover for my boat. For the life of me, I can't get the cover to go over the rub rail on one side. I removed the board racks and lower the tower as far down as I could. It is very tight and would not pull over or near the rub rail. Somehow it doesn't look right compared to my other tower up cover. And that I have no problem pulling over the rub rail.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

IMG_3224.JPG

IMG_3222.JPG

ahopkins22LSV

Doesn’t the G4 tower tow ball fold down? Would that help? Also I’ve found on all cover that it is best to get both corners down around the rib rail, clip the straps to the transom hooks then pull the middle of the cover back with the center strap. 

• Like 2

I have the GX tower. The part that’s sticking up is the anti-pooling pole. I’ve tried lowering and raising to see if it helps, but it doesn’t. I’ll try pulling the corners first before the middle of the cover to see if it’ll work. Thanks.

Those covers come fairly tight to begin with. That way when it breaks in and stretches a little bit it still fits the cover pretty snug. If you just got the cover it may just need to break in a little bit and then over a couple weeks it should start to fit easier. I have seen this one just about every new cover I have dealt with

• Like 1
14 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Doesn’t the G4 tower tow ball fold down? Would that help? Also I’ve found on all cover that it is best to get both corners down around the rib rail, clip the straps to the transom hooks then pull the middle of the cover back with the center strap. 

Yes, you have to fold the tower tow ball down. The cover will not come close too fitting without folding it down. 

15 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

It worked! Thanks ahopkinsVTX!!! 

Now that the covers are over all the rub rails, it still doesn’t look right. Seems like there’s too much material in the center. Here’s a picture of it without and with the anti-pooling pole.

5AFDD38C-8088-4A5E-A9C6-4A664D07FF38.jpeg

0A8285EA-6C8A-40E1-8009-905B80962CB4.jpeg

This time of year, I'm assuming the boat is down for its winter nap?  If so, I'd consider building a frame out of pvc or 2x4s that you can put on the floor of the boat to fill out some of those voids.  It would be a pain to use in season (i.e. to take in and out every time you want to use the boat), but for when you'll be having the cover on for an extended period it would be nice to know that the slack in the cover is taken up.  As it sits right now, especially given that it's brand new and will stretch some with time and after getting wet, it's going to turn into a pond on top of the cover, with or without the pole.  The covers aren't waterproof, more like water resistant.  So if water pools, it will basically turn into a coffee filter and eventually drip the pooled water into the boat.

(speaking from experience as a person whose boat is also on the side of the house like that in season)

On 11/4/2021 at 8:18 PM, trungsc156 said:

It worked! Thanks ahopkinsVTX!!! 

Now that the covers are over all the rub rails, it still doesn’t look right. Seems like there’s too much material in the center. Here’s a picture of it without and with the anti-pooling pole.

5AFDD38C-8088-4A5E-A9C6-4A664D07FF38.jpeg

0A8285EA-6C8A-40E1-8009-905B80962CB4.jpeg

Cover looks really loose because you dont have your board racks on. Put the racks back on and the cover wont look like it has so much loose material on the top.

I'll try to put the board racks on to see what it looks like, but the cover is going back anyways. There's multiple leaks around the seams on the cover. Waiting for an RMA from Commercial Sewing.

I have the same cover, love it. Had the exact same issue pulling it over the rubrail. Had to skin my knuckles a few times but now I'm glad it fits so tight.  

As others have said, it's designed to fit over the board racks. Commercial Sewing is responsive to any issues. 

q9hX86x.jpg