Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Closed cooling boats with hot shower.

milehighbu

Unfortunately, I learned the hard way that adding a hot water shower to my 2018 MXZ which has a half closed cooling system simply doesn't work.  Luke warm at best.  However, before I pull all the shower stuff out, I thought I would see if it is possible to use a calorifier to heat the water for the shower.  My understanding is that a calorifier may be able to take hot coolant in from the engine (which also returns to the engine) to heat the water in a tank which can then be mixed with the cold water from the lake.  I would need to find a coolant out and return from the engine block to send to the calorifier. 

This might be a loosing  battle trying to create a working hot shower in a closed cooling system boat, but the engine still creates just a much heat as a raw water cooled engine.  Has anyone done something like this before or is this just a dumbass idea?  Im in Colorado so you can see why a hot shower is a way to extend the season a bit.

Thanks fellow "Bu" owners.

I have been told indmar doesn't recommend adding a shower to the closed cooling models as it removes water from the already small cooling loop but that is for a traditional shower system. 

Now adding a heater system running off the coolant may work I'd fear air lock or reduced flow in the coolant. 

31 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

seems like someone needs to invent a 12v/marine version of an instant hot water heater?

I would think a small exchanger would work just fine.  You could put it inline with the heater hoses and steal heat from there.

Hope much temperature rise would you want?  50 degrees rise should bring comfort for just about any season.

• 1 month later...

I had one in my 2021 24MXZ and it worked great.  Plenty hot and adjustable.  I always get this option as well as a regular heater because it extends the season for me.

On the raw water cooled boats I always just install my own.

15 hours ago, Gene3x said:

I had one in my 2021 24MXZ and it worked great.  Plenty hot and adjustable.  I always get this option as well as a regular heater because it extends the season for me.

On the raw water cooled boats I always just install my own.

Where did it pull the hot water from?

On 12/4/2021 at 8:07 PM, shawndoggy said:

Where did it pull the hot water from?

I honestly did not look but my 25LSV with one gets here next week.  I will look.