Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2010 23LSV to 202? 23LSV--3 person limit increase

Ryan1776

Hey everyone. 

As the title states. The new 2021-2022 is listed as 16 person capacity. I have a 2010 with 13. 
Not sure when (year wise) the increase in capacity changed.
But where did they find 3 more "spaces" in the same length boat? 

Did they move the "firewall" back? 
With the increase in freeboard, you'd be able to tuck more of the V drive and components under the floor and gain some room. 

At the end of the day, it's still a 23' boat. With 2-3 kids, equipment and 6-7 adults my 23 is at "capacity". 

So just wondering how they got there. 

Thanks

Ryan

Edited by Ryan1776

I think it's primarily due to the hull design changes and increased freeboard.  The hull is deeper and heavier and designed to carry more weight.  In terms of useable space, I don't think there's a tremendous difference, but from my perception anyway, the cabin seems larger in our boat than in your generation.  The bow seems about the same size, but it's certainly deeper.  Another thing that's been done is I think the width of the gunwales is not as wide as your generation.  That and the sides of the hull from the water line up seem to have more of an outward angle creating more cabin space.  The rear bulkhead may have been pushed back ever so slightly as well.  

My perception only and I have nothing to support it other than perception.  

My 2010 LSV had 3.5” more floor space in the main cabin port to starboard  than my 2019. I thought my wife was FOC until I actually measured them. Deeper cushions and seat bases contributed to that. The extra freeboard helps to reinforce the difference visually as well. Running the majority of time with just the 2 of us not an uncomfortable change but definitely noticeable. 

Edited by wdr
Sp
16 minutes ago, wdr said:

My 2010 LSV had 3.5” more floor space in the main cabin port to starboard  than my 2019. I thought my wife was FOC until I actually measured them. Deeper cushions and seat bases contributed to that. The extra freeboard helps to reinforce the difference visually as well. Running the majority of time with just the 2 of us not an uncomfortable change but definitely noticeable. 

Measured from where?  Seat base to seat base?

33 minutes ago, wdr said:

WOW NO WAY! 

17 minutes ago, Slayer said:

I certainly want to know as well. Not that I'm looking to upgrade anytime soon, but LOSING floor space...no thank you. 
I don't live ON the water. Just across the street. But when we go out, we pretty much pack for hours out there. 

56 minutes ago, Slayer said:

In terms of useable space, I don't think there's a tremendous difference, but from my perception anyway.....

Kinda what I was thinking too. 

Thanks for the reply! 

1 hour ago, Slayer said:

Yep seat base to seat base. I thought she was crazy until I actually measured it. The newer MYs may be wider from the sounds of it. 

1 minute ago, wdr said:

Yep seat base to seat base. I thought she was crazy until I actually measured it. The newer MYs may be wider from the sounds of it. 

I'd have to measure mine to confirm and it's in hibernation right now remote from my home with about 1,500 other boats.  I suspect that may be accurate though.  The seat bases have grown wider in recent years I believe.  

5 minutes ago, wdr said:

I argued with her for about a week until I finally got tired of hearing about it and measured it. :Doh:

Man I hate it when that happens. Nothing worse than listening to her say I told you so, you never believe anything I say.

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, Ryan1776 said:

Hey everyone. 

As the title states. The new 2021-2022 is listed as 16 person capacity. I have a 2010 with 13. 
Not sure when (year wise) the increase in capacity changed.
But where did they find 3 more "spaces" in the same length boat? 

Did they move the "firewall" back? 
With the increase in freeboard, you'd be able to tuck more of the V drive and components under the floor and gain some room. 

At the end of the day, it's still a 23' boat. With 2-3 kids, equipment and 6-7 adults my 23 is at "capacity". 

So just wondering how they got there. 

Thanks

Ryan

To the best of by knowledge, capacity rating has nothing to do how many people can fit.  It is simply a Coast Guard rating that takes into account hull displacement and max total weight minus boat weight.  So you can get more "capacity" by increasing max displacement or reducing the boat weight.  Bottom line is it is a weight not size (how many people can fit) calculation.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, BearCreekBum said:

Man I hate it when that happens. Nothing worse than listening to her say I told you so, you never believe anything I say.

Yep and to add more insult to injury, after one too many explosive breaches my hearing is shot so now “I am just going to ignore her anyway”! I can’t win🙄

• Haha 1
19 hours ago, familyfun said:

To the best of by knowledge, capacity rating has nothing to do how many people can fit.  It is simply a Coast Guard rating that takes into account hull displacement and max total weight minus boat weight.  So you can get more "capacity" by increasing max displacement or reducing the boat weight.  Bottom line is it is a weight not size (how many people can fit) calculation.

This is exactly what I thought was going on. 

So the only real way to get more real estate is to move to a 25. That's a massive boat. 

20 hours ago, Slayer said:

If you ever want to check mine out, hit me up.  It's in storage, but can be made available. 

I appreciate it. 
Not looking to move boats anytime soon. 
Just sorta looking at current-ish boats for a what I'll be looking at in 6 years or so. 

Even though with a 3.5 year old and another "baking".....I should be moving this winter! hahaha. 

My 2011 vride 21 also had 13 capacity FWIW.  At 1.5 ft shorter, that doesn’t seem right that the 2 boats had the same coast guard capacity.  It did however come stock with only rear tanks so without center and bow tank included the total weight full of ballast would have been a few average size “people” less than a 23 footer with all 4 tanks.  That’s the only difference I can come up with.  Most I ever had in it was 10 adults.  Pretty tight, but that wave was 💥

6 hours ago, bovhica said:

My 2011 vride 21 also had 13 capacity FWIW.  At 1.5 ft shorter, that doesn’t seem right that the 2 boats had the same coast guard capacity.  It did however come stock with only rear tanks so without center and bow tank included the total weight full of ballast would have been a few average size “people” less than a 23 footer with all 4 tanks.  That’s the only difference I can come up with.  Most I ever had in it was 10 adults.  Pretty tight, but that wave was 💥

That pretty much confirms it. It's all about max weight capacity. 

And yeah! I bet the wave was awesome!