Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What prop do I need?

Alexei

My dealer told me that they order high elevation prop for everybody. But my location is not high. Dealer told it is good amyway. What prop do I really need and whats the difference between them? 

Search this forum some more. There’s about 2 dozen very good threads. 

I’ll tell you this. You can make an okay boat awesome and a great boat ho hum with the prop. 

It’s the single biggest performance needle mover you can choose. 

but if you want answers here. You have to tell us your boat and your elevation. 

I was going to ask this same question.  I have a T220 on order with the M6 engine.  My dealer recommends the 2249 prop (high altitude/torque).  My lake is on the east coast at an elevation of 600' above sea level.  

I've searched other posts but haven't come up to anything definitive.  

I worry about the torque prop because I'd like a good top end speed and I'd also like it to be reasonably quiet when surfing.  

image.thumb.png.cd07fb35eafeb388911004cf3177768f.png

I’m at the same altitude with a ‘19 25LSV. The M6 has crap tons of power. The sheer size of the prop means you can run more pitch with no slip. The 2805 is fantastic for me. Lots of top end. Low rpms when cruising and surfing. And it’s always performed perfect.

Dealers order that high altitude prop for two reasons.

1) they’re stuck in the old days where the engines were smaller and the props were smaller.  And we did crazy things with ballast. 

2) there are a bunch of buyers who sack it out, invite the whole block onto the boat where they all sit in the back, set the wedge to Vert. And want the boat to move. 

1 is forgivable I guess. 2 isn’t. The boat has to be used right. 

Get your dealer to agree to let you try out the speed prop and make an exchange if you like it more. For that matter the stock prop should be on the list as well for trying out. 

Eol 

Edited by Slurpee
  • Like 1

Mentioned was sound level surfing.  When the M220 came around on Wake Days I fell in love with the LT4.  Besides the obvious power to me it seemed SOoooooo much quieter than the M220 I rode a few weeks later with the altitude prop and an M6.  I am a bit of a mechanical geek and notice things that many don't care about but the difference was noticeable.  Fuel consumption will be better with the "fastest" prop the motor will pull comfortably.  

On 10/17/2021 at 4:30 AM, Livinlogs said:

2 hours ago, hethj7 said:

What boat and what engine?

The boat is Axis T250. I Will bE using it ate sea with no altitude. Dealer want to put 17x14 1733 High Altitude

I had the same question a while ago for a 2022 25 LSV M6 (similar size and weight to your T250).  As other have said here, and based on a all the info I could find plus my demo in the 25 LSV with the M6, I would suggest the standard prop, if not even the speed prop.   It is hard to image you needing the High Altitude/Torque prop under your conditions.  Deciding between the standard and speed prop might depend on your expected use.  If you will primarily surf, the speed prop will likely work.  If you plan to do a good amount of wakeboarding will a full 12-16 people plus sacks for a monster wakeboard wake (some will argue that it would be more wake in that case then needed), you might want to consider the standard prop.  For my 2022 25 LSV I plan on going speed prop.

Edited by familyfun
  • Thanks 2

We ordered our 2021 23LSV M6 with the torq prop, it was a mistake! Surfing at 3,800 rpm We bought a ACME 3077 (standard prop) which was much better surfing 3400, but my vote is on the speed prop ACME 2805 surfing now at 3100 rpm and the M6 has more than enough to handle it. (5people plus rear 650 p&p ballast bags, wedge 5)

Edited by 04 VLX WINDERMERE UK
  • 8 months later...

It seems like this might be the best prop expert thread?!  Looking for some advice as I know very little about props. We have a T220 with the M5 engine and according to build sheet 15x13 1919 prop. We are about at sea level. When surfing with full tanks and pnp at wedge 3 we are pushing 4300 rpm’s. This seems high and the boat working hard. Is this the best prop for the boat?  We mainly surf and a bit of wakeboarding. 

thanks

The first thing I would do is check the data on the face of the prop to confirm what it is. A “15 x 13” if it is an Acme prop should be a 2773 depending on the cup. And it is what I “was” running on my 2019, M5, 23 LSV.  A 1919 appears to be a 23 x 28 which I doubt it is. The surfing rpm’s sound a little high unless you are running a big crew with rear pnp and no additional front weight like an extra bag on the deck or seats. With that prop on my LSV, I was seeing 3800 rpm surfing @ 11 mph with pnp and a 20 mph cruise speed. Different boat so it may be an apples to oranges comparison.

Edited by wdr
  • 6 months later...
ahopkins22LSV
14 hours ago, TAQ44 said:

I’m also interested in a prop improvement. I have a 2022 A22 with M5 at sea level. Currently running the 2249 prop. What do you all recommend?? Thanks!

Would be helpful to know what you are trying to achieve and what your current setup for surfing, wakeboarding or cruising is. 

16 hours ago, TAQ44 said:

I’m also interested in a prop improvement. I have a 2022 A22 with M5 at sea level. Currently running the 2249 prop. What do you all recommend?? Thanks!

When I damaged my 2249 prop I replaced it with a 2277 prop.  This was a way better move for me.  Dropped about 300 RPM at all speeds.  IMO this is a much better application for me.  I now have my 2249 as a backup and hope I never need to do back.  

3 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Would be helpful to know what you are trying to achieve and what your current setup for surfing, wakeboarding or cruising is. 

I’m just looking to lower RPMs. As long as it does not hinder the wave or make it smaller etc. I’m the type of person who buys something to own it and not sell it a few years later for a newer build. So engine longevity is huge for me and if it’s as simple as a new prop to take some of the load off of the engine, then I’m sold. I just don’t want to mess with the wave as I love the size haha!

3 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Sorry, to clarify I have the stock hard tanks and pnp all fully loaded for surfing. For wakeboarding I only fill the hard tanks. 

5 hours ago, PopsA22 said:

When I damaged my 2249 prop I replaced it with a 2277 prop.  This was a way better move for me.  Dropped about 300 RPM at all speeds.  IMO this is a much better application for me.  I now have my 2249 as a backup and hope I never need to do back.  

Thanks for the info, Ive also got a damaged 2249 and looking at options (2021 A22/M5).  Primarily want to lower the RPMs when surfing, I can get up at 4100 or so.  Full tanks (Hard and PNP), Wedge at 3, 10.3mph, and a small to mid size crew (5-6). Like the wave but RPMs seem high and sucks gas.  Added a little lead in the front but wish there was more room up there to hide some.

Do you remember what RPMs you were at in the 2249 vs 2277 and is your setup similar.

Thanks

53 minutes ago, AxisA22er said:

Thanks for the info, Ive also got a damaged 2249 and looking at options (2021 A22/M5).  Primarily want to lower the RPMs when surfing, I can get up at 4100 or so.  Full tanks (Hard and PNP), Wedge at 3, 10.3mph, and a small to mid size crew (5-6). Like the wave but RPMs seem high and sucks gas.  Added a little lead in the front but wish there was more room up there to hide some.

Do you remember what RPMs you were at in the 2249 vs 2277 and is your setup similar.

Thanks

Keep us updated on which prop you go with and what the outcome looks like. I’m almost identical to your set up with the exception of usually 7-10 heads on board. Thanks!

Ideal Surf setup - 2249

10.8 MPH, 1200 lb people, = 3600 RPM

Ideal Surf setup - 2277

10.8 MPH,  1200 Lb people = 3200 RPM

Both situations wedge - 3 and Full PNP.  

• 2 months later...

I love the level of detail and data this crew can bring to any conversation. It's also crazy how the model/configuration proliferation makes it harder to nail down more specific options with the current boats. Very similar to those above I've got a 21 A22 with M5. We run full everything (but as all note is bow high for surfing, always herding people to the bow) for surfing, hard tanks and light wedge for rare wakeboard set. Mine came equipped with 2773 (15 x 13) which, all threads seem to suggest, is kind of overkill for our boating (all below 3,500 feet, rare wakeboarding). Everyone else here recommending 15x14 or 15x15 and still plenty of power to push the loaded A22, but lower RPM while surfing. @AxisA22er any chance you got to try that new prop in the water and could report back? It seems like the data provided by @PopsA22 would suggest that if that's working for his '19, the M5-equipped boats should have no problem and see much lower RPM - but it's interesting to see ~400 RPM for each 1" of pitch, so going from a 13" on my current prop to 15" on a new one could drop me surfing RPM 800 rpm - that sounds nice....

Edited by ORsurfer