Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Thruster Cavitation

Dock4

The thruster on my 2021 M220 works flawlessly with the engine off.  When running the engine, the truster works great moving the stern to starboard, but about half thrust moving the stern to port.  I seem to be getting cavitation from the surf pipe air bubbles.

For those of you with factory installed thrusters - is this happening to you?  Or is this a M220 thing?  

Pic of my thruster install location for reference. 

image.png.8784ffdd40c2e4afc1a1a78e5a053275.png

Mine is in the same spot on my 25.  I will get some on my 25 if I run it on for any length of time.  I have gotten into the habit of using shorter bursts while letting it drift and being patient with it.  I think that also helps with as much of a power drain as it causes.  If I am trying to spin a full 90 or 180 degrees, I don't do it all in one burst.  When I use it to back into my slip, I don't have any issue as we are going slow and making minor corrections.

I would think it might be a product of the surf pipe itself and the exhaust rising.  Moving to port, it is trying to pull water with something the size of a small oar 4 inches away from it causing a disruption in the water as well.  

It could be the bubbles, it could be that it spins faster with the engine running, it could be that it is trying to pull water through with the surf pipe right there disrupting the water being moved or a combination of all.  Those little buggers draw a ton of power and I'd guess they are getting more spin with the HO alternator going.  

22 hours ago, JeffK said:

I would think it might be a product of the surf pipe itself and the exhaust rising.  Moving to port, it is trying to pull water with something the size of a small oar 4 inches away from it causing a disruption in the water as well.  

Agree 100 percent. Not the best location for a thruster but not a better option for placement on these boats. Short bursts and patience is key. Same technic we use on large ocean going boats. 

Unfortunately this is normal across all the brands. The exhaust gets in the way when moving to the stern in the port direction. 
Nautique added a secondary exhaust outlet further up on the transom to be used when the thruster is engaged, diverting exhaust away and avoiding cavitation. 

1 hour ago, The Hulk said:

did they ever? im guessing if they did it was too expensive and didnt sell any. 

They did. Expensive, leaked, took up storage space, didnt work all that great. 

Edited by COOP
  • Like 2
On 10/29/2021 at 12:46 PM, The Hulk said:

did they ever? im guessing if they did it was too expensive and didnt sell any. 

There wee several that sold.

I'd say it was people who chose all of the options to be "baller".

On 10/28/2021 at 7:14 PM, Cole2001 said:

Unfortunately this is normal across all the brands. The exhaust gets in the way when moving to the stern in the port direction. 
Nautique added a secondary exhaust outlet further up on the transom to be used when the thruster is engaged, diverting exhaust away and avoiding cavitation. 

Yep.  It is exhaust bubbles causing the cavitation.  just part of the design with lots of stuff back there.

Are you guys using it while in gear, fwd/rev , I would think with some propulsion moving through the water would aid in the speed of the thrust direction.

I only have about 1hr of experience with stern turn, ( on @Dfowkes) M240 but it was enough to put a smile on my face and a check in the box for my 2022.

• Like 3

@Stevothat make me so happy as the lack of stern thrusters was one of the main reasons I sold my m235 this fall and bought a 2022 m240.  Boat is in winter storage so I’m looking forward to trying it in the spring.  

• 2 months later...

For those with a thruster what is your battery set up.

Malibu only offers Battery 3 option when you check the thruster option, which is Basically just Perko ON/OFF .

so here is my question.

2- cranking starter batteries or 1 cranking , 1 deep cycle.

Edited by Stevo
On 11/14/2021 at 7:01 AM, Stevo said:

Are you guys using it while in gear, fwd/rev , I would think with some propulsion moving through the water would aid in the speed of the thrust direction.

I only have about 1hr of experience with stern turn, ( on @Dfowkes) M240 but it was enough to put a smile on my face and a check in the box for my 2022.

Yes use it when turning to pick up rider with just a short burst and it will spin boat around quick.   You can get in a lot more runs when you learn how to use efficiently.    It will definitely put a smile on your face seeing boat turn on a dime.  

• 2 weeks later...

I put the EZ Drive (OEM Manufacturer) part on my 2019 23 LSV.  I find it does do less to port side, but still enough for it to serve the intended purpose, which is to help maneuver in docks, etc.  It's a pretty nifty thing, once you get used to it, use it in conjunction with engine to put the boat where you want it.  Also really nice to position boat when you have beginners who need to start on the wake side of the boat.  With the more advanced folks, I tell them just to hop over the wake, when we get going.