Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking for a warmer spot for a family Thanksgiving

JeffK

Would like to find a lake further south of Kentucky that would still be warm enough to be enjoyable in late November.  We would be mostly surfing, swimming, tubing and would love to head out for dinner or a drink by water.  Would like to possibly keep it under 8 hours, if that's even possible, while still getting to some warmer water.  So, Texas is probably out.  Any other suggestions of lakes I could look at for vrbo/airbnb opportunities?  Thanks!

cypress cove marina and its tiny houses, clearmont chain of lakes, FL, west of Orlando, not a lot of on water dining but easy enough by car after slipping the boat, they’ll rent you a covered slip, some new lifts they were installing in April might be completed by now, their bar is the new lake hot spot for the Tommy’s crew

Edited by granddaddy55
20 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

cypress cove marina and its tiny houses, clearmont chain of lakes, FL, west of Orlando, not a lot of on water dining but easy enough by car after slipping the boat, they’ll rent you a covered slip, some new lifts they were installing in April might be completed by now, their bar is the new lake hot spot for the Tommy’s crew

That might be a little further south than we wanted to head for this trip, but I will definitely check it out.

4 minutes ago, JeffK said:

That might be a little further south than we wanted to head for this trip, but I will definitely check it out.

Where are you starting your travel from? That will help with the 8 hour goal.

31 minutes ago, JeffK said:

Sorry!  Coming from Kentucky.  I didn't state that very clearly

Where in KY? That can easily add 2-3 hours to the trip.

Also, what is your definition of "warm water"?

We are near Louisville.  I'm good with whatever, but if you ask my wife or Grandma that would be going on the trip, something in the 80's would be preferred.  Honestly, if we can find something in the mid 70's I'd call that a win.

But I should probably add, no gators in the water.  That'll end those plans rather quickly.  I wish I know more about the lakes down south.  Hoping this trip changes that a little bit

18 minutes ago, JeffK said:

We are near Louisville.  I'm good with whatever, but if you ask my wife or Grandma that would be going on the trip, something in the 80's would be preferred.  Honestly, if we can find something in the mid 70's I'd call that a win.

I think that is going to be a tough goal. Our home lake, Pickwick Lake, is right at the TN, MS, AL line and it is 5-6 hours from Louisville and you would not want to be in the water in November. I'm guessing you will want to be at least south of Birmingham AL but those in that area will need to chime in.

Good luck in your search.

For reference, we are on Lake Oconee in Georgia, which is almost exactly 8 hours south of Louisville.  The kids all ride in wetsuits at Thanksgiving.  Most of the adults pass.  Some years we have air temps in the 60's for Thanksgiving, but that is not every year.  A few restaurants open limited hours in November on the lake, no gators.

If you are looking for 80 degree water, I would guess you are going to need to drive considerably more than 8 hours and dodge gators when you get there.

Thanks!!  We have wet and dry suits so that may be an option for us.  

I was afraid of that, but wanted to check.  In May each year, our lake is incredibly cold.  Just going an hour and a half south to Center Hill Lake for Memorial Day to visit friends, we found that lake to be much warmer, almost 10 degrees.  I know there are many factors that affect that (depth, fed by river, etc), so thought I'd ask around to see if there were some spots to try.  

On 10/27/2021 at 9:37 AM, malibudog said:

If you are looking for 80 degree water, I would guess you are going to need to drive considerably more than 8 hours and dodge gators when you get there.

Yep.  We are on Lake Norman.  I was in the water last weekend.  Good temp still without a wet suit.  Another 30 days - you are going to need to be MUCH further south.

Folks in gator country all claim they are never a problem, but for those of us not used to them I agree they can be a deal breaker, and if you want 70+ water, you will probably have to share with the gators!

I get it. It’s like trying to find a unicorn buried with jimmy Hoffa, but I had to ask. I’m trying to get a little more time in this year.   I know some lakes seem to retain the heat a little longer, so I thought I’d ask the experts. 

Gators generally won't be anywhere that you would ski. 

Well, during the day at least.  Shine a light out there at night and they are everywhere!

You can always avoid Gators by staying in salt water.