Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ordering 2022 malibu’s mid-year 8% surcharge

PaintedRocksSurfer

1 hour ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Do you want to review the terms and conditions for posting on this site?

That’s golden, I noticed you liked a transphobic meme about a guy finding out his prostitute in Thailand is a boy.   TOU’s, lol 

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting letter! Not sure if this is already on here but thought I would share.
We know it’s a sellers market, not a buyers. Thats also go’s the same way when your buying the components to build the the boats!. It’s the same for the industry I work in where the company I work for is challenged by cost rise and supply delays every day! Even though they are large and pride them selves in been a good payer and very fair with suppliers which has meant they have faired very well compared to a lot! (I hear Malibu are equally as good with suppliers) 

F0DF5B30-BD79-4165-9382-47FBB270163F.jpeg

That is poor expediting by Malibu if they don’t know a part won’t come until the day it is supposed to arrive.  They may not be able to improve delivery, but they can certainly know further in advance than that.   

ahopkins22LSV
12 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

That is poor expediting by Malibu if they don’t know a part won’t come until the day it is supposed to arrive.  They may not be able to improve delivery, but they can certainly know further in advance than that.   

A lot of assumptions in that. In the current supply chain you can order early, ship early, and not be able to find a carrier. Or the shipment sits at port for weeks. Then in customs for weeks. You can’t “track” something sitting at port or customs. You can try to work with the carriers and customs but it is literally a crap shoot right now. There are so many more variables to it now than just planning orders. We just airfreighted parts over seas and we shipped them four weeks prior to when they are required. It’s still not a guarantee they will get there on time. That is unheard of. 

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

A lot of assumptions in that. In the current supply chain you can order early, ship early, and not be able to find a carrier. Or the shipment sits at port for weeks. Then in customs for weeks. You can’t “track” something sitting at port or customs. You can try to work with the carriers and customs but it is literally a crap shoot right now. There are so many more variables to it now than just planning orders. We just airfreighted parts over seas and we shipped them four weeks prior to when they are required. It’s still not a guarantee they will get there on time. That is unheard of. 

I respectfully disagree.  The Malibu statement was they are finding out about a shortage of production parts on the day parts are supposed to be received.  If you are upstream in your supply chain enough you will know they are stuck at port, waiting on a carrier, not produced yet, etc.  Unless your factory is within 1 day of the port and you get parts the same day they clear customs, then you should have a little advanced notice your parts won’t be there. Now, predicting when they may show up after that I get is anyone’s guess.  

Edited by hethj7
Typo
ahopkins22LSV
21 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

I respectfully disagree.  The Malibu statement was they are finding out about a shortage of production parts on the day parts are supposed to be received.  If you are upstream in your supply chain enough you will know they are stuck at port, waiting on a carrier, not produced yet, etc.  Unless your factory is within 1 day of the port and you get parts the same day they clear customs, then you should have a little advanced notice your parts won’t be there. Now, predicting when they may show up after that I get is anyone’s guess.  

That is fair. However with what we are seeing in our supply chains there is nothing you can do regardless of how fair out you plan or communicate. That and suppliers lie all the time, and wait until the absolute last second to inform their customer about something. Ours do it to us and we do do it to ours… no way I’m justifying that but it is how it is. 

2 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

That is fair. However with what we are seeing in our supply chains there is nothing you can do regardless of how fair out you plan or communicate. That and suppliers lie all the time, and wait until the absolute last second to inform their customer about something. Ours do it to us and we do do it to ours… no way I’m justifying that but it is how it is. 

Probably a topic for another thread.  But, our expediting teams touch base or even visit in person our suppliers regularly to verify their process is progressing per their plan.  They have a production schedule they submit to us at award and we ask for unpriced POs to confirm they have ordered their parts on time, photos showing progress they are claiming, materials they claim to have received, etc.  We still experience delays and issues - my contention was only the CEO of Malibu stating they essentially get surprised when a package doesn’t show up on a promised delivery date.  That is disruptive and Malibu could be more proactive in my opinion.  

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
4 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

Probably a topic for another thread.  But, our expediting teams touch base or even visit in person our suppliers regularly to verify their process is progressing per their plan.  They have a production schedule they submit to us at award and we ask for unpriced POs to confirm they have ordered their parts on time, photos showing progress they are claiming, materials they claim to have received, etc.  We still experience delays and issues - my contention was only the CEO of Malibu stating they essentially get surprised when a package doesn’t show up on a promised delivery date.  That is disruptive and Malibu could be more proactive in my opinion.  

I agree. I hope that isn’t their actual practice and there is more detail behind his statement. I jumped up conclusions.

5 hours ago, hethj7 said:

The fact that they don’t know a part won’t come until it is late, is happening  many industries. My suppliers are telling me this daily. Luckily I am small and have not experienced major issues. Imagine needing a $50k switchgear. Then the day it is suppose to ship. Be told it is still 3 months out. My supplier is going back and rebuilding product around what is available. Not what is specified! 

I even had one supplier tell me. 
“Square D is now selling the job just to disappoint customers because they don’t ship on time”. Maybe that is t a direct quote but it is awfully close to what he said. He also told me. If Square D doesn’t have it in stock and you need it. Go somewhere else. 

Edited by Sparky450
14 hours ago, hethj7 said:

That is poor expediting by Malibu if they don’t know a part won’t come until the day it is supposed to arrive. 

Oh you would be surprised.

I was planning on going to the Chicago boat show in January.  About a week or two ago, I checked the date of the show and they were listed for January 13 - 16th.  I went on their website yesterday to double check the dates and couldn't find it.  I was really looking forward to the boat show returning but it got cancelled.  They blamed it on low inventory and supply chain disruptions.  On the front page of their site, https://www.chicagoboatshow.com/, they had this note posted.

The Progressive® Insurance Chicago Boat Show® has been postponed one more year to January, 2023. The decision to postpone the show is a result of current needs and economics of the Chicagoland market, including the supply chain disruptions and historically low market-specific boat inventory. While we plan for an exciting return of this longstanding boating tradition, we’ll share the latest and greatest in boats, gear and boating life at DiscoverBoating.com and @DiscoverBoating. See you on the water!

15 hours ago, hethj7 said:

One of the companies that we represent is a division of Parker Hannifin ($14B in sales) We have had so many reschedules from them that now their customer service is telling our expeditors that the products are rescheduled and not proving a new ship date.  I've never seen anything like this in 30 years.

Not to mention the two price increases in the last (5) months with the last one being retroactive for orders that were already in house.

Edited by GSell14
  • Like 1
55 minutes ago, Hemmy said:

I was planning on going to the Chicago boat show in January.  About a week or two ago, I checked the date of the show and they were listed for January 13 - 16th.  I went on their website yesterday to double check the dates and couldn't find it.  I was really looking forward to the boat show returning but it got cancelled.  They blamed it on low inventory and supply chain disruptions.  On the front page of their site, https://www.chicagoboatshow.com/, they had this note posted.

The Progressive® Insurance Chicago Boat Show® has been postponed one more year to January, 2023. The decision to postpone the show is a result of current needs and economics of the Chicagoland market, including the supply chain disruptions and historically low market-specific boat inventory. While we plan for an exciting return of this longstanding boating tradition, we’ll share the latest and greatest in boats, gear and boating life at DiscoverBoating.com and @DiscoverBoating. See you on the water!

Can't blame them though.  As an old dealer, it would be hard to justify spending your normal cash load on a large spot if you don't have any inventory to show.  I've talked to a couple non-malibu dealers in the state that I know (pontoon, tahoe, etc) that say it is hard to justify the space.  They could use a booth the size of the walkway booths that sell peanuts during the show.  If lots of dealers do that, it is hard to run a show without the income to hire the staff.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, JeffK said:

Can't blame them though.  As an old dealer, it would be hard to justify spending your normal cash load on a large spot if you don't have any inventory to show.  I've talked to a couple non-malibu dealers in the state that I know (pontoon, tahoe, etc) that say it is hard to justify the space.  They could use a booth the size of the walkway booths that sell peanuts during the show.  If lots of dealers do that, it is hard to run a show without the income to hire the staff.

Now, I haven't talked with my local dealer in the last few months, but they do have "eye candy" on the floor for most models to sell build slots. They wont even sell the floor models for MSRP cash. 

3 hours ago, Steve B. said:

Now, I haven't talked with my local dealer in the last few months, but they do have "eye candy" on the floor for most models to sell build slots. They wont even sell the floor models for MSRP cash. 

Right - Some are in a position to hold those units for display, others may not have been and didn't want to risk missing out on selling when the market is hot.

9 hours ago, Hemmy said:

Beyond inventory issues, all the large indoor venues downtown are back to masks around here and a lot of the folks locally interested in boats, motorcycles, rvs will just stay home rather than go back to wearing them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Hemmy said:

Dallas Boat Show is cancelled as well. No boats to show…

On 12/6/2021 at 4:57 PM, hethj7 said:

Twice in the past month we have paid for “guaranteed” delivery of materials via a top tier shipper. Both times the delivery date was missed (the first by 7 days, the second by 3 days) with no explanation, or refund of the “guarantee” up charge. No apologies either. Yes, our customers schedules were disrupted…

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Went to my local boat show, which is pretty small.  There were only three brands of wakeboats there, Nautique, Moomba and Supra.  The Nautique dealer is only a couple miles from my work so I go in there quite a bit for odds and ends things for the boat or lake.  I was talking to one of the guys at the show and he said Nautique already told them that they will be having a 10% increase in Q4 this year.  I did not get into what their  most recent increases have been and when they took place, but they already announced this to some of their dealers for later this year.

18 hours ago, Hemmy said:

Went to my local boat show, which is pretty small.  There were only three brands of wakeboats there, Nautique, Moomba and Supra.  The Nautique dealer is only a couple miles from my work so I go in there quite a bit for odds and ends things for the boat or lake.  I was talking to one of the guys at the show and he said Nautique already told them that they will be having a 10% increase in Q4 this year.  I did not get into what their  most recent increases have been and when they took place, but they already announced this to some of their dealers for later this year.

This ought to do wonders for the used boat market.  

Edited by Slayer
  • Like 2