Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ordering 2022 malibu’s mid-year 8% surcharge

PaintedRocksSurfer

I wonder if this Jan 4 shutdown happens I can sell my new 2022 M240 for a a half a million dollars.  That would be a seriously nice ROI. LOL but probably not too far off…..joking obviously 

On 11/5/2021 at 8:24 AM, rennis said:

Got the call last night from my dealer.  We put down deposit and order locked in summer so we're only being hit by the 3% increase.  I'm not pleased but I'm not upset either.  Just one of the innumerous symptoms/outcomes/unintended consequences of the twilight zone life we're all living right now. 

When are you supposed to take delivery? 

Do tell more.  I ordered mid September, I don’t have a spray date.  I’m guessing I will need to pay 3% more than the price I negotiated in September.  I haven’t heard the final news from the dealer yet.  I’m sure they will let me know soon. 

48 minutes ago, TyB said:

Do tell more.  I ordered mid September, I don’t have a spray date.  I’m guessing I will need to pay 3% more than the price I negotiated in September.  I haven’t heard the final news from the dealer yet.  I’m sure they will let me know soon. 

I think you're on the money.  I'm getting hit with 3%.

Hey mean if you haven’t taken delivery yet, shouldn’t your dealer honor the year end sales event? When you order a car, Any incentives that come out between order and delivery are applied. Interested to know if anyone has inquired about this on a boat. 

we take delivery end of November and I will definitely be asking about the additional $2500 off our 23lsv 

ahopkins22LSV
11 minutes ago, SOcalSurfer said:

Hey mean if you haven’t taken delivery yet, shouldn’t your dealer honor the year end sales event? When you order a car, Any incentives that come out between order and delivery are applied. Interested to know if anyone has inquired about this on a boat. 

we take delivery end of November and I will definitely be asking about the additional $2500 off our 23lsv 

Eh, not really. They don’t apply all incentives as a cumulative discount. My experiences with ordering vehicles is you get what is offered at the time of order and sometimes if the incentives are better at delivery they will give you that. But not lately. I ordered a truck in June and the incentives then were better than in July. I paid more than originally quoted. The “norm” really means nothing right now. 

Also for people to be saying you can’t raise the price on my after my purchase agreement and then saying you need to apply this discount that was released after the purchase agreement is kinda hypocritical. I don’t know how Malibu normally handles it for order placed before the annual year end sales event, and I’d definitely be asking myself but I could see it both ways. This is fairly new territory with build slots being mostly full by this time of the year. Normally people just wait until YESE is announced then order. 

8 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Eh, not really. They don’t apply all incentives as a cumulative discount. My experiences with ordering vehicles is you get what is offered at the time of order and sometimes if the incentives are better at delivery they will give you that. But not lately. I ordered a truck in June and the incentives then were better than in July. I paid more than originally quoted. The “norm” really means nothing right now. 

Also for people to be saying you can’t raise the price on my after my purchase agreement and then saying you need to apply this discount that was released after the purchase agreement is kinda hypocritical. I don’t know how Malibu normally handles it for order placed before the annual year end sales event, and I’d definitely be asking myself but I could see it both ways. This is fairly new territory with build slots being mostly full by this time of the year. Normally people just wait until YESE is announced then order. 

IME, our dealer has not added YESE money to an order placed before YESE comes out.

9 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

The difference is we're saying "they can't raise the price after purchase agreement has been signed" but they did.  Right or wrong and against anything we say, they still did it so if we haven't taken delivery, asking for YESE money isn't hypocritical and should be applied. 

The better way to handle this would have been if the order was confirmed with deposit paid, no increase and after that date they could charge the 8% on new orders.  Telling customers that there is a price increase and then releasing a YESE is what's contradictory.  I believe Malibu does read these forums and saw the un-happiness with their customers and tried to save face, to some degree, but they went about it the wrong way. 

The YESE figures work out to about a 2-2.5% discount so if Malibu COGS are sky-rocketing so badly but they can give back 2.5% in year end money then didn't that just defeat any additional $$ collected by the 3%ers who ordered early or is our 3% increase funding the YESE?  They could have saved a lot of time and not charged early orders 3% and done away with the YESE and experienced a similar margin outcome in the end.

ahopkins22LSV
22 minutes ago, wedge88 said:

The difference is we're saying "they can't raise the price after purchase agreement has been signed" but they did.  Right or wrong and against anything we say, they still did it so if we haven't taken delivery, asking for YESE money isn't hypocritical and should be applied. 

The better way to handle this would have been if the order was confirmed with deposit paid, no increase and after that date they could charge the 8% on new orders.  Telling customers that there is a price increase and then releasing a YESE is what's contradictory.  I believe Malibu does read these forums and saw the un-happiness with their customers and tried to save face, to some degree, but they went about it the wrong way. 

The YESE figures work out to about a 2-2.5% discount so if Malibu COGS are sky-rocketing so badly but they can give back 2.5% in year end money then didn't that just defeat any additional $$ collected by the 3%ers who ordered early or is our 3% increase funding the YESE?  They could have saved a lot of time and not charged early orders 3% and done away with the YESE and experienced a similar margin outcome in the end.

As already covered in this thread though, the purchase agreement is not final. It’s subject to change. If I get a quote and signed a purchase agreement on siding for my house, and then 10 weeks later when we order the material and the price is up, the quote and price goes up and I pay more. And yes, this happened to us last year. 

Look I know it sucks but as also as already mentioned the actual increase in raw materials is going up WAY more than the increases that Malibu has passed on. The increases on material in all industries is crazy. You should see stainless steel or copper.

I also completely disagree that the YESE was a response to this increase. They do it every single year at this time. It’s an annual program. And I think it typically states you need to order during a certain time frame to have the discount applied. Even four-five years ago. So it doesn’t surprise me at all that orders placed before are not eligible.

Yep this happened to me 2 years ago building my dock.  Signed contract - very detailed in terms.  paid 50% then 6 months later trump does a aluminum embargo tax and the cost of the piles went way up.   Got hit with a 10% surcharge ($10,000). All in the fine print  

9 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

As already covered in this thread though, the purchase agreement is not final. It’s subject to change. If I get a quote on siding for my house, and then 10 weeks later when we order the material and the price is up, the quote goes up and I pay more. And yes this happened to us last year. 

Look I know it sucks but as also as already mentioned the actual increase in raw materials is going up WAY more than the increases that Malibu has passed on.

I also completely disagree that the YESE was a response to this increase. They do it every single year at this time. It’s an annual program. And I think it typically states you need to order during a certain time frame to have the discount applied. Even four-five years ago. So it doesn’t surprise me at all that orders placed before are not eligible.

A signed purchase agreement that has been turned into a confirmed order, by Malibu, with my name associated and deposit paid is different than your siding quote that you didn't order for 10 weeks.  My customer's quotes used to be valid for 30 days, now it's 7 but once that purchase order arrives, that price is locked in.

I'm not arguing that they can/cannot do it.  I arguing that it's contradictory to say "raw materials are through the roof and we can't lose $$" but then turn around and offer YESE to give away a portion of the increase they just put into effect and couldn't survive without.  FWIW, I spend a lot of time with my dealer and we typically order at year end to get the discounts but were told, by our Malibu regional manager, that Malibu would NOT be doing YESE due to current demands so we ordered earlier than normal to ensure we had a confirmed slot but now there is a YESE.  

5 hours ago, Slayer said:

IME, our dealer has not added YESE money to an order placed before YESE comes out.

I ordered my 2019 before YESE! My dealer gave me the YESE on my 2019. I have not approached him on my 2022. I am Happy with the price I received. After all, he is still selling boats at MSRP!! 

Talked to the dealer yesterday.  To my surprise they did some magic with the numbers, I’m not going to pay 3% more than the price I negotiated.  It ended up being about 1.5% on my 2022 M240.  I also have a spray date for December 8th, should have the boat by the end of the year.

When I ordered my 2021 in September of '20 (for delivery Spring '21) we agreed on a price, and dealer stated that the price included all Year End Sales Event promo prices, discounts, and etc.  I thought that was very fair of them to acknowledge that the price I was getting was fair and he knew YESE promotions were on the horizon.  It kept us both on the same page right from the beginning.

9 hours ago, TyB said:

Talked to the dealer yesterday.  To my surprise they did some magic with the numbers, I’m not going to pay 3% more than the price I negotiated.  It ended up being about 1.5% on my 2022 M240.  I also have a spray date for December 8th, should have the boat by the end of the year.

We will be close.  My M220 spray date is 12/6!

Also, I'm guessing they split it with you since there is good profit already there.  The magic was 1.5 to you, 1.5 off their profit  ;)  Most dealers could just eat the 3% but won't in this market.

Edited by pauley71

How much profit is the dealer making on a 250k boat that is 80k in options? If they were giving 20 percent off pre Covid, why cant they give 20 percent off now? I just got a price quote on a 2022 LSV 25. They offered me 10 percent off and then tacked 8 percent back on for the surcharge. I laughed and said no thanks. 

8 hours ago, TyB said:

when did you place your order?