Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ordering 2022 malibu’s mid-year 8% surcharge

PaintedRocksSurfer

On 10/24/2021 at 12:13 PM, vanamp said:

I have my order in with a spray date on November 4th.  Price already negotiated.  Unless I get a phone call I guess I just got a free 8% in my boats value.  I wonder how Malibu is handling this with the dealers.  I hope my dealer is not taking a hit on my boat. 

Same position as you, boat ordered sep 5th with an 11/15 spray date and have not heard anything yet. Purchase agreement has already been signed and deposit down so interesting how they can go back on a purchase agreement. 

You should read the agreement carefully.  Most of these thing have small print where the cost are not guaranteed until the vehicle is actually delivered and paid in full 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, RCorsa said:

You should read the agreement carefully.  Most of these thing have small print where the cost are not guaranteed until the vehicle is actually delivered and paid in full 

Yeah surprisingly my agreement has none of that and it says it’s legally binded by all parties signatures. I know its Not my dealer that would be screwing me over but that’s still some crap From Malibu. 

I get new orders, but existing orders in production or weeks away sucks

I was going to pull the trigger and order last Saturday. My dealer called me Friday night with the bad news and told me to hang tight while they see if there are any options. This is most likely a deal killer for me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, Raimie said:

hang tight while they see if there are any options. This is most likely a deal killer for me.

Option #1 - Sell it to the next guy in line that doesn't mind paying the extra 8% (and possibly even recapture some lost MSRP that they had given up on your deal.)  

19 hours ago, DFW said:

Our beloved BU’s are almost entirely made of plastic, and hence, tied directly to the price of a barrel of oil.

Worse yet, the feedstocks that go into the components of a plastic BU are roughly 1.4 gallons out of each 42 gallon barrel of crude (see chart below). So, not the high volume stuff, but the lower volume harder to make stuff. The lower volume hard to make stuff almost NEVER goes down in price. If the price of oil recedes then feedstock prices “hold”. I’ve been in an industry tied to these feedstocks since 1997…

With the exception of the economy completely folding over (causing leveraged folks to hold half price sales on boats) new BU’s ain’t gettin cheeper anytime soon, if ever.

977268E3-72EA-4738-8040-3DA1590361AA.thumb.png.e8b636ddd5d56d61f30f64b834d5926e.png

We make plastic parts for RV's and boats.  Obviously all resin based materials.  Some increases from our sheet suppliers is related to the resin issues like the high demand for resin, the shortage in resins due to the Texas winter storm, shortages in regrind materials and the increase in oil.  We have handed out a total of 36.5% in price increases to our customers for ABS/HDPE and acrylic parts this year alone.  There is probably another round coming from plastic sheet suppliers as well.  To put it in perspective, we have not had a major price increase since 2017 which was around 3-5%.  The sad thing is, there is really no light at the end of the tunnel.

4 hours ago, SOcalSurfer said:

Yeah surprisingly my agreement has none of that and it says it’s legally binded by all parties signatures.

"Legally binding" to do what?  I am curious about the exact "binding" terms, because I have never seen a PO that actually required a dealer to hand you the exact boat you ordered.  The deal generally closes when they hand you the boat and you hand them cash and title documents are exchanged.    But maybe Malibu or the local dealer have this in their contract.

I did a little calculation today during my free time. Not even including this 8%, if the yearly 10% price hikes increase, we’re going to be looking at an msrp of the 23 LSV of around $300k by 2027. Even with discounts that’s still a $225k boat. 100k price hike in 5 years, crazy. 

8 minutes ago, wedge88 said:

I have not received a call on my order yet so fingers crossed that it doesn't.

I was told if you are taking delivery by Dec 1 you will not be affected. Otherwise, yes, it applies to Axis.

Edited by Raimie
  • Like 2
32 minutes ago, Raimie said:

I was told if you are taking delivery by Dec 1 you will not be affected. Otherwise, yes, it applies to Axis.

There was a Malibu corp. letter someone posted on Facebook that has since been removed stated that it was a "materials surcharge" on any boat not delivered before December 1 Malibu and Axis.

3 minutes ago, dcarl said:

There was a Malibu corp. letter someone posted on Facebook that has since been removed stated that it was a "materials surcharge" on any boat not delivered before December 1 Malibu and Axis.

I saw that.  I also saw that there was some language in there about when it was registered with the state as well.  It also stated that there was a status that the order needed to be in for Malibu to split the cost with you.  

Well if you think those hikes are bad go buy a boat lift..

We're on 3rd and 4th rounds of 7-9% hikes.. another just did a 24% effective immediately.. word has it another is coming by year end for many.. If u need one i wouldn't wait another second as all mfgs are sold out of capacity for the year and like last year they won't be getting the material qtys they ordered.

With the magnesium crisis Aluminum shortages are going to be worse than last year..  many plants are starting or implanting even further allocation. 

When infrastructure Bill is passed the moon is the limit! 

It will cost nothing they say.. I can't wait to see the first $500k MSRP Malibu!

everything-is-awesome.jpg

• Like 4
32 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

Well if you think those hikes are bad go buy a boat lift..

We're on 3rd and 4th rounds of 7-9% hikes.. another just did a 24% effective immediately.. word has it another is coming by year end for many.. If u need one i wouldn't wait another second as all mfgs are sold out of capacity for the year and like last year they won't be getting the material qtys they ordered.

With the magnesium crisis Aluminum shortages are going to be worse than last year..  many plants are starting or implanting even further allocation. 

When infrastructure Bill is passed the moon is the limit! 

It will cost nothing they say.. I can't wait to see the first $500k MSRP Malibu!

everything-is-awesome.jpg

It's a good time to ask dock masters if they have any use lifts for sale.  With all the people putting their boats back on the trailers for the winter some opportunities have opened up.

I grabbed an 8800 used shorelander for $5400. With trade of my used 3600 lb lift 

Edited by 4mc
3 hours ago, 4mc said:

It's a good time to ask dock masters if they have any use lifts for sale.  With all the people putting their boats back on the trailers for the winter some opportunities have opened up.

I grabbed an 8800 used shorelander for $5400. With trade of my used 3600 lb lift 

Shorelander? Shorestation?

Heck of a deal 

Most 8k+ free standing new are running $20-30k moderately equipped these days

7 hours ago, The Hulk said:

Shorelander? Shorestation?

Heck of a deal 

Most 8k+ free standing new are running $20-30k moderately equipped these days

This is the type connected to a floating dock at marina.  I was on the list for a new 8800 Hydrohoist.   With my trade in it would have been over 9k.