Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rockford Fosgate upgrade

IJM

Anyone have any experience with the Rockford Fosgate PMX-8BB and a PMX -8DH remote head. Recommended by my stereo shop to replace my stock JBL in my 09 VTX. Also going to install another remote control head near the stern. I think a PMX-0. Any thoughts or recommendations. Just doing the media head and remotes to solve my intermittent stereo outage problem.

@IJM

The previous owner of my 2015 23 LSV installed the PMX-8BB hideaway receiver, PMX-8DH display head, and PMX-1R full function remote display and paired them with Wetsounds amps and speakers.  I added a JL Audio sub and amp last year.  The system sounds just as good to me as the complete Exile system that I had in my 06. 

As for the individual Rockford Fosgate equipment; within a month after purchasing the boat in July 19, the PMX-8BB receiver went out.  Thankfully it was replaced under warranty and I have had no problems since.  The display on the PMX-8DH is easy to see whether it's day or night.  However, the zone volume control is somewhat of a pain.  You have to push the volume button repeatedly to scroll through your different zones instead of being able to turn separate knobs.  This makes it difficult to adjust when surfing.  Other than that, I have no complaints.  I would urge you to go with the PMX-1R remote over the PMX-0R.  The full display is a nice touch on the transom and the adjustments and menu are exactly the same as the PMX-8DH.

Overall, I think you'll like it.    

20190802_180859.jpg

20200501_202538.jpg

Edited by Kojak

Kojak,

Thanks for the response, advice, and appreciate the suggestion to go with the better remote. I’ll do that. I can see how the zone control for audio volume could be frustrating. Is there a quick way to mute the audio with a single button? Usually when my rider goes down I just hit that till I get them back up then resume the tunes. I was debating where to mount the head on the transom. I like your location. Now to just figure out where to mount the remote by the helm. I have the MUX switches on both sides of the wheel so can’t mount it there like yours. Hmm 🤔. Thanks again. I’ll get the stereo shop going on it.

Unfortunately there's no mute button. You can hit the Pause button or turn the volume down all the way. However, turning it down all the way will turn all zones back to zero, and unless you want them all at the same volume, you'll have to fumble through each one to adjust the volume separately once again. 

Ugh that will be frustrating. I use the mute button on the MUX switches all the time. Guess I’ll just have to get use to pausing the tunes on the remote head by the helm. Wish I could tie it into the MUX switches but talked to Malibu and they said nothing is compatible anymore. Gave the shop the go ahead. Will be back to the lake first of November to try out the new setup. I’ll update how it turned out then.

On 10/21/2021 at 9:37 PM, IJM said:

Ugh that will be frustrating. I use the mute button on the MUX switches all the time. Guess I’ll just have to get use to pausing the tunes on the remote head by the helm. Wish I could tie it into the MUX switches but talked to Malibu and they said nothing is compatible anymore. Gave the shop the go ahead. Will be back to the lake first of November to try out the new setup. I’ll update how it turned out then.

use volumatic app

18 hours ago, Kojak said:

Is that the name of the app and is it available on Android?  I searched for it and found Volumatic by PIVT for $4.99.  Is this the correct one?

another app that I use for iOS is called Swift Volume.  Works the same as volumatic.  It looks like they have an adroid apk.

19 hours ago, Kojak said:

Is that the name of the app and is it available on Android?  I searched for it and found Volumatic by PIVT for $4.99.  Is this the correct one?

you have to pay for it. yes, because it works, i didnt like it cause it always turns down the volume and i dont want that to happen all the time! 

you start it first and then start the music app, can be used to gauge accuracy of a paddlewheel as well, used it to adjust my speed cruise read out

• 2 weeks later...

Stereo shop just sent me photos of the install. Headed down next weekend, excited to play with it. Had some issues that altered my original plan on where things were located. Unfortunately the 09 VTX dash has no extra space to mount the 8DH head. Had to place it on the sidewall where the original head was. Not easily accessible by the helm. Was planning to place the 1R head on the transom but wanted to have a head by the steering wheel too. Unit only supports two remote heads. All said and done the shop attempted to mount the 1R head in front of the throttle on the sidewall. Barrel on the back was to long and would not mount flush. Ended up having to go with the 0R head to make it work. Honestly not to thrilled about the location of either head but couldn’t find a better option. Worried about the volume knob getting broken off by people walking through to the bow. Concerned about the throttle being in the way of the smaller head. Might not be an issue though since it’s rarely pinned wide open. Positives are Bluetooth, no more intermittent shutdowns, and it does sound great. Challenging doing maintenance and upgrade from afar over the phone and pics. 

359ACD8B-FAAE-4007-AE6F-C38878F7A100.jpeg

87C34948-CD13-4DD8-B126-E2D8B9EC8532.jpeg

6DCD662B-F99D-41A1-B420-B8459C88F64C.jpeg

C2EA57E5-DEC4-46A6-9ED3-6E70A794B182.jpeg

99BAB4CB-B28A-4B4E-ADD8-DED05F6DEDC7.jpeg