Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looks like I may be back in the Bu family. Looking for advice on 2000 Response LX

Malibuzer

Good day to all of you.  After missing our boat for the majority of summer I have stumbled across a steal of a deal on a 2000 Response LX with the Monsoon.  No tower.  Great shape on a single axle trailer.  Is there anything I need to really look out for?  I just helped them install a new throttle cable.  Going to take really close look tonight.  Not the exact boat I was after, but its a cheap way to get us out in the water again for a year or two until the grand kids start showing up!

Edited by Malibuzer
  • Like 2

HDS box.  Spider cracks coming from all the grab rails.  Loose platform brackets.  Mushy floor panel behind doghouse. Check the tracking fins to make sure they are all there and that the bolts are all there.  If it comes with a trailer - assume that it is rotted out, but stick a screwdriver into all the drain holes and check the tops of the cross members.

• Like 2

It is either an RLX or 2003+ if actually an LXI.  In addition to HDS, typical things like steering cable, electrical systems all functional, wear and tear etc.  Make sure winterizarion was done properly and no oil / water mixing in the crankcase. 

7 hours ago, Malibuzer said:

Good day to all of you.  After missing our boat for the majority of summer I have stumbled across a steal of a deal on a 2000 Response LXi with the Monsoon. 

1 hour ago, Woodski said:

It is either an RLX or 2003+ if actually an LXI. 

This was the first thing I thought too, it cannot be an RLxi if it's a 2000.  Assuming it says RLxi, the deal just got sweeter cuz it's several years newer than the Rlx.

I think they are all badged this way.  If it's a Response Lxi it will have a decal in front below the windshield like this:

malibu-response-lxi-1994368.thumb.jpg.4e4c6524ac4a538a889a8b9e90c79510.jpg

And if it's a Response Lx it will have a decal near the stern like this:

256823.thumb.jpeg.95a5ad6906935dea753fdbf653b516ea.jpeg

1 hour ago, Michigan boarder said:

Woo-hoo, a winter project boat!!  Let's see some pics!

As soon as I get her home!  Going to strip the interior, strip the decals and give it a real deep cleaning.  We will only be the 3rd owner.  It has been owned by the same guy since 2006.  Only ever used on 2 lakes!  

Hard to believe how excited I am to get back into a boat.  It will be pretty strange coming from the last 3 VTX's to a low direct drive ski boat.  

Edited by Malibuzer
  • Like 3
7 hours ago, Malibuzer said:

As soon as I get her home!  Going to strip the interior, strip the decals and give it a real deep cleaning.  We will only be the 3rd owner.  It has been owned by the same guy since 2006.  Only ever used on 2 lakes!  

Hard to believe how excited I am to get back into a boat.  It will be pretty strange coming from the last 3 VTX's to a low direct drive ski boat.  

Time for a restoration thread!

• Like 1

They're great boats!  I love my '01.  I stripped mine down to the bare floor this past spring when a "let's change the strut bushings" project escalated a bit quickly.  Happy to answer any questions if you get stuck along the way.

• Like 1
Just now, UWSkier said:

They're great boats!  I love my '01.  I stripped mine down to the bare floor this past spring when a "let's change the strut bushings" project escalated a bit quickly.  Happy to answer any questions if you get stuck along the way.

Thanks UWSkier!  I will probably pick it up tonight and start a bit of a teardown!

On the same topic.  I am thinking about putting a tower on it to just get the skis and kneeboards out of the boat.  Any suggestions?  And Don't say "Kneeboards?"  or why ruin the boat with a tower!  The Boss lady loves kneeboarding and that's a compromise I can make!

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Malibuzer said:

On the same topic.  I am thinking about putting a tower on it to just get the skis and kneeboards out of the boat.  Any suggestions?  And Don't say "Kneeboards?"  or why ruin the boat with a tower!  The Boss lady loves kneeboarding and that's a compromise I can make!

Happy Wife!! Happy Life!!:biggrin:

Pulling the seats tonight and getting a quote to redo the entire interior.  Kind of thinking about keeping it original.  I need some gelcoat to fix some of the bad dock rash spots.  May have found a tower already.   I will want a bimini as well for myself.  Anything that you guys have done to your older Responses would be great info!  

1 hour ago, Malibuzer said:

Pulling the seats tonight and getting a quote to redo the entire interior.  Kind of thinking about keeping it original.  I need some gelcoat to fix some of the bad dock rash spots.  May have found a tower already.   I will want a bimini as well for myself.  Anything that you guys have done to your older Responses would be great info!  

I'd say that interior looks very good, am I missing something?  I think I see a split in the back seat, which is a simple fix but the rest seems to be fine.

Also noteworthy - that trailer!  Looks brand new!

My best upgrade in my DD is the jump/judges seat.  Most of the time it's facing backwards behind the drivers seat, but occasionally when my wife drives and we are cruising around and not pulling anyone I put it facing forwards on the other side of the engine.  Feet up on the spotters seat, one arm on the gunnel and the other on the engine cover, it's a really great way to ride along.  Then move it back out of the way when I go back to driving.  

Jump seat 010.jpg

Jump seat 012.jpg

I have added some more photos to the gallery.  All the seat seams are bad.  And the sundeck could be redone.  Getting pricing right now.  And I do want the jump seat.  I will have to keep my eye out for one locally!