Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil change tip

35 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

So, I started winterizing the boat yesterday.  Got all the water out of the engine, poured in the antifreeze and pulled the oil drain line out and left it to drain in a bucket.

This morning I decided to finish the oil change.  Changed the filter and dumped in 5.5 quarts of new oil.

Here is the tip - put the cap back on the oil drain line ;)

Guess I need to get some more oil today.

Doh!  :Doh:

47 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

So, I started winterizing the boat yesterday.  Got all the water out of the engine, poured in the antifreeze and pulled the oil drain line out and left it to drain in a bucket.

This morning I decided to finish the oil change.  Changed the filter and dumped in 5.5 quarts of new oil.

It happens.  Last year I rushed winterizing.  Drained the oil, put in the new oil and finished.  Then realized I forgot to change the filter.  Got it changed, but it was a little messier removing an oil soaked filter.

50 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Also, remember you are never going to get all the oil out. So if you put the required amount back in your crank case, it will be over filled. 

I found out the hard way…lol 

5 minutes ago, dwc032 said:

Also, remember you are never going to get all the oil out. So if you put the required amount back in your crank case, it will be over filled. 

I found out the hard way…lol 

It's 5.5 quarts with a filter change in my engine.  The drain line does a real good job of emptying out the pan if you let it sit over night.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Hemmy said:

It happens.  Last year I rushed winterizing.  Drained the oil, put in the new oil and finished.  Then realized I forgot to change the filter.  Got it changed, but it was a little messier removing an oil soaked filter.

In my boat it doesn't make any difference.  The remote oil filter has the same amount of oil regardless of the pan being empty or full.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

try not to ever do it again.

I tell myself that same thing every time I work on something.

Maybe off topic, but maybe not:  I have been working on our geothermal (water exchange) air conditioner for a week now.  The primary problem was a blockage in the condensation line.  I finally got that fixed when I noticed a tiny drip of water from the hot water line inside the AC unit (this unit has a desuperheater, which takes water from the water heater and heats it using excess heat from the refrigerant compression process).  I had brazed that very spot a year ago after I discovered that the copper pipe was leaking at the joint.  I turned the water off and investigated, finding that the pipe had rotted a little more and was barely leaking.

A potentially very long story cut short; as a part of the repair I decided to put ball valves in the hot water source and return lines between the heater and the AC since we were tired of having to turn the water off after finding a leak (it took me three tries trying to braze the leak inside the corner of the unit).  I glued the valves in, waited for the glue to set, then turned on the water.  I put a pressure gauge on the AC outlet flange and turned on the source ball valve to let the line pressurize so I could check for more leaks.

I don't know what possessed me to turn on the return valve as well, but it just happens that the open 3/4" pipe at the other end was pointed directly at my face (it was open because I couldn't connect it yet with the pressure gauge in the port where it goes).  I didn't really get the valve turned on very far before I was getting a face full of water.  It might have been only a quart of water before I got the valve turned off, but it managed to deflect off my face and hit everything around me, including the control boards inside the AC, the walls, the door down the hall, and of course the floor.  I was stunned for a minute, then just had to laugh and make a mental note:

I will "try not to ever do it again."

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, vaporbluebu said:

Without fail, every time I have changed out the flavor of pellets on my smoker I have forgotten to close the dump valve and I pour a bag of new pellets all over the patio!

You haven’t truly owned a traeger if you’re yet to do that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Ryan1776 said:

DANG IT! lol 

Just a quick sanity check. 

2010 LSV-350   15W-40? 5.5qt?  Pretty sure I used Delo last change. 

My 2012 350ss is 5.5 quarts 15w40 with a filter change.  Should be a pretty standard amount for an indmar 350. 

3 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

My 2012 350ss is 5.5 quarts 15w40 with a filter change.  Should be a pretty standard amount for an indmar 350. 

Thank you! Just wanted a check. Even on my car, I have to look every time I go to buy oil! 

Fortunately I've not made this mistake (yet), but have done something similar - didn't check to confirm the old oil filter gasket came off with the filter before spinning on the new one. This was on my first car - a 1998 Dodge Stratus. I sure got a surprise when I started it up - learn from me and be sure the old gasket doesn't stick to the block!

On 10/19/2021 at 5:38 AM, oldjeep said:

Also, don't forget to pull the bucket of oil out from under the boat when you are done. That was a mess!!!

On 10/19/2021 at 9:41 AM, oldjeep said:

In my boat it doesn't make any difference.  The remote oil filter has the same amount of oil regardless of the pan being empty or full.

I have this same issue.  I run the drain line through the hull to a oil catch pan under the boat.  I use a hand pump to speed up the drain process.  I've tried to drain it all with the boat level.  I've tried it bow up, and I've tried it bow down.  With the oil filter removed, there is apparently more than a half-quart of oil in the engine somewhere.  This is on a 2008 Hammerhead 383.  I am starting to think this is why the Hammerhead's got a bad reputation.  Either the dipstick is wrong and people under-fill them, or the dipstick is right and people over-fill them with 5.5 on top of what's left inside.  I tend to think the dipstick is accurate, because after I run the boat on a hose after the oil and filter change, the oil is slightly discolored already, not perfectly clean.  I know there was an Indmar "fix" with a new dipstick that had it hold more oil before showing full on the dipstick.  Bought the boat used so no idea if it has the original dipstick or the fix.  Just found a thread with the dipstick PN on it.  Winterizing on Sunday, so I will double check.  Sorry for the hijack!  :-) 

Edited by EchelonMike

Hammerhead 383 engines are difficult to remove all of the engine oil because of where the drain hose is connected to the pan.  On vdrive models, raise the bow and the port side of the boat, by driving the left side trailer tires onto a couple 2x6 blocks of wood, to remove more of the engine oil.

On 10/20/2021 at 7:56 AM, oldjeep said:

on my ‘14, i suck it out of drain line to pan and never get to take more than 5 including oil the filter takes, every time i put 5 straight in , it is above full on dip stick, i am using a relatively small mercruiser filter

Edited by granddaddy55