Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

23 to 25 LSV....Should we?

yotaisgame

Went boat shopping today and saw a loaded/custom 2020 25LSV. Absolutely love the boat. For those who have made the move from a 23 foot boat is it a big difference? I will say this though; we usually have a small crew 5-7 adults, and we pretty much just Surf, wakeboard, eat lunch and get out of there. We don't spend much time just lounging and swimming around anymore and we rarely have large crews. Is a 25ft boat just wrong for us? Storage/towing would not be an issue. 

Thanks for your opinions

Do it. You will not regret it. We went looking for a 23, and ended up in the 25 (which i wanted all along). My wife initially said the 25 was too big and we didn't need that big a boat. When she got in it, and drove it, the choice was made.

Our regular crew has been basically just our family the past 2 summers, so the 6 of us.  We use the 25 the way you describe as well. We have used it more the last 2 years than ever before because it offers so much more space and comfort on the lake than prior boats (which includes a 23lsv)

We are in the exact same position.  When we ordered our 23 LSV last year and took delivery, the better half got into a 2021 25 and asked why we didn't order it.  We're now in discussions with a dealer on a 25.  We use the boat as you suggest and like @asnowmanwe have a family of 6.  With two teenagers, our crew is sometimes 10+, so the 23 works, but the 25 would work better.  This is all not even addressing the performance advantage over the 23.  It's substantial. 

• Like 3

That's a good pitch asnowman. Funny thing is we actually went in looking to build a new axis but wanted to see everything. The 2022 23lsv and the 2020 25lsv we liked the best. They also had a 2018 23lsv but the previous owners did not take good care of the interior. Not interested in buying a 100k plus boat that smells like dog. Other than the captains chair we liked the 2018 as well. 

@yotaisgameI can tell you the new 23LSV is an awesome boat.  We are in no way unhappy with it.  The wave is great, M6 power is great, features are awesome.  It's very well executed and performs very well.  I like what' they've done for 2022 with the entire line on the speaker grills, too.  It's much better than the previous iteration.  The walkthrough transom is a winner as well.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Slayer said:

@yotaisgameI can tell you the new 23LSV is an awesome boat.  We are in no way unhappy with it.  The wave is great, M6 power is great, features are awesome.  It's very well executed and performs very well.  I like what' they've done for 2022 with the entire line on the speaker grills, too.  It's much better than the previous iteration.  The walkthrough transom is a winner as well.

If we pass on the 25lsv the 2021 23lsv is the next choice. Really like the walkthrough transom. 

I couldn't tell you.  The last 2 years of the towboat market have been bizarre.  Theoretically, now is a good time to buy.  After the new year when all new build slots are gone, it may be different.  I have no clue.  

6 minutes ago, yotaisgame said:

Would you say waiting until the new year is a better time to buy or right now? Or does it even matter?

You should ask your dealer if Malibu is going to have year end rebates.  I think that usually starts in November sometime.

2 minutes ago, Sixer said:

You should ask your dealer if Malibu is going to have year end rebates.  I think that usually starts in November sometime.

That probably doesn't apply to a used boat right?

Just now, yotaisgame said:

That probably doesn't apply to a used boat right?

Not usually. I don't think my dealer has any build slots left for next year. From what i have seen in the market, it doesn't matter on timing right now, if the one you live is there, buy it and enjoy it.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, asnowman said:

Not usually. I don't think my dealer has any build slots left for next year. From what i have seen in the market, it doesn't matter on timing right now, if the one you live is there, buy it and enjoy it.

Ours said they had one left. I prefer to buy something one or two years old that the first owner put money into. 

I think many would agree if you want a new boat, and your dealer actually has a slot left, you should take it asap . If you look at 1-2 yr old boat prices , you may talk yourself into the new one. Lots of discussions on this and other forums . 25lsv is new for 22 and 23 lsv was new for 21 . So used prices for late models are high. So if you find any boat you like, I'd say grab it, used or new. I sold my 2020 and 2021 boats in days for fair prices to both of us 

• Like 2

I owned a 23 for several years because I LOVED the surf wave and couldn't find one better in any boat. But to get that wave required 900's in the lockers, a 900 on the floor, and 670 in the bow (no crew). The bow weight was essential to a killer wave, which made it easier to take one over the bow at times. I just got fed up with manually filling fat sacks.

I went with a 2019 25. I find it puts out a similar wave but a little longer. I have 750 pounds of lead since I generally go crewless, not an issue for you. Extreme bow weight is not necessary with this boat. In 3 seasons I have never taken a wave over the bow. It drives a little smoother in rough water but maneuvers poorly when loaded. The deeper hull creates a lot more storage space under the seats. I agree that a walk-through transom would be a great feature. Generally I'm happy with the 25.

If towing, storage, and handling the bigger boat is not an issue, go for it! We have never been disappointed with additional space and performance once in the water. 

• Like 2

I've never known someone that made the jump and regretted it.  As others have said, if towing and storage aren't an issue, go for it.   The extra space is awesome, whether with a large or small crew.   The wave is one of the best out there, and with no extra bow weight like others have pointed out.  We are normally out with just our family of 5 or a few friends and absolutely love the 25LSV.  

Once you go 25 and buying used, next question would be what options does it have?   You may want to determine what are deal killers even in the used market.   

You mentioned eating lunch normally - we love the integrated table on the wakeview seat and use it often for "dinner cruises" on the water.    The flip down swim step seems universally loved, once people experience it.   Would either of those prevent me from walking away on a used boat - maybe not, but something to certainly consider.   

On 10/18/2021 at 2:48 PM, yotaisgame said:

Went boat shopping today and saw a loaded/custom 2020 25LSV. Absolutely love the boat. For those who have made the move from a 23 foot boat is it a big difference? I will say this though; we usually have a small crew 5-7 adults, and we pretty much just Surf, wakeboard, eat lunch and get out of there. We don't spend much time just lounging and swimming around anymore and we rarely have large crews. Is a 25ft boat just wrong for us? Storage/towing would not be an issue. 

Thanks for your opinions

I have been thinking about this. I would never go back to a smaller boat. It is quite often  just the wife and I on the boat. And then we might add another couple, or my daughter and her boyfriend. Or sometimes we have a full boatload of 12-15 people. BTW, if you think the wave is good with 2-4 people. You should see that wave with 12-15 people. 🤑🤑 It is so nice to have the room on the 25. If the price is right on the 25LSV, I don’t really know of anything that would be a deal breaker. Except maybe colors that I could not do. Right now I am boatless. Well not really but I do not have a wakeboat. My next wake boat is going to be a 25LSV. 

• Like 2
On 10/19/2021 at 11:45 AM, yotaisgame said:

Ours said they had one left. I prefer to buy something one or two years old that the first owner put money into. 

In all honesty, if you have a good dealer and they're willing to do a good amount off msrp, buy new. With the crazy used market right now, you would probably only be saving 10-15k (now think, this is on a 2-3 year older boat, higher hours, not custom specd). With the interest rates on new vs used (if you're financing), its almost worth it to go new there alone. Plus, you're setting yourself up for better resale (newer, higher msrp boat, warranty, etc).

Also, in terms of 23 vs 25, keep in mind that while you can get away with towing a 23 with a half ton, you will need a 3/4 ton for a 25.

Hope this helps!

Deals on new can still be had.  Just have to know how to look and negotiate and fast cash talks. I just got nearly 30% a brand new 2022 from a dealer I’ve never worked with before.  As I sold my 2018 at a premium the upgrade only cost a nominal amount.  

the 25 wave simply blows the 23 away, factor in the overall SMALL % price difference for that much more boat and its no brainer. After 1 outing...,go hop back in someone's 23... you will want to get right back in your 25 and never look back. 

also resale will only continue to get better than the smaller boats the way the industry is moving. 

as they say.... GO BIG OR GO HOME! ha

good luck.. 

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Brandonloos21 said:

Also, in terms of 23 vs 25, keep in mind that while you can get away with towing a 23 with a half ton, you will need a 3/4 ton for a 25.

IMO not needed with newer 1/2 tons with 10speed and larger engines such as the bigger ford Ecoboost. handles just fine for "most people who tow hardly ever". Granted if you tow every time or if your in the mountains yea get a 3/4 and never look back. For the in/out once a year folks not needed.. Granted you should have a higher end 1/2 ton with larger engine 10-speed and max tow pkgs which can easily cost as much or more than a moderate equipped 3/4.

also the triple ax trailer has far less tounge weight than the dual ax, but PIA for tight ramps so consider that option based on truck, ramps, needs etc.. 

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

the 25 wave simply blows the 23 away, factor in the overall SMALL % price difference for that much more boat and its no brainer. After 1 outing...,go hop back in someone's 23... you will want to get right back in your 25 and never look back. 

also resale will only continue to get better than the smaller boats the way the industry is moving. 

as they say.... GO BIG OR GO HOME! ha

good luck.. 

The 23' will most likely continue to be the #1 boat in the line for a few reasons. One of them being some people don't want a monster boat again for a variety of reasons. Also, let's not act like the 23' boats don't put out a really good wave. Is it a 25'? No, but blows it away? That's like the person who always says "it's not even close".  And yes, I've been behind both sizes, multiple times. How you set up the boats makes a big difference.

#1 sold boat alone will keep resale high.  I definitely agree that 20, 21, and 22' boats are declining.

• Like 3