Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

25 LSV Break-In Period

4mc

Definitely follow your dealer's advice, but this is what I was told.

First 10 hours (after 1 hour break in by dealer): Stay under 5000 rpms, no towing, no ballast, vary rpms every 5-10 minutes.

10-15 hours: short surf/wakeboard runs allowed, not at maximum ballast, stay below 5000 rpms.

Return boat to dealer for oil change and service by 15 hours.

We finished our break in yesterday and did a few short runs before winterization! 

We put the break in hours on our new boat over Labor Day weekend. WSA did the 10hr service during the following week and it was off to the races after that.

Edited by DFW
Spelling
  • Like 3

And when I did a demo SURFING, on an 18 23LSV it had full ballast with plug and play installed. The boat had like 7.5 hrs on it. And the guy that gave us the demo Was going to surf it the rest of the afternoon. 😂😂

• Like 2

Dealers don’t follow this at all and everyone recommends something different. Can’t even count the number of boats I’ve been on surfing with less than 10 hours, being for surf comps camps, demos, water tests, etc. 

Edited by Cole2001
  • Like 3

No one ever seems interested in actually reading it, but the manual has a procedure.   For me, it was safe peace of mind to make sure if a warranty issue arose, it couldn't be pinned back on me.    

https://www.themalibucrew.com/_files/malibu/malibu_2020_manual.pdf

image.png

Edited by hethj7
2 hours ago, hethj7 said:

No one ever seems interested in actually reading it, but the manual has a procedure.   For me, it was safe peace of mind to make sure if a warranty issue arose, it couldn't be pinned back on me.    

https://www.themalibucrew.com/_files/malibu/malibu_2020_manual.pdf

image.thumb.png.c0f53d183fcbf60626e9332d70de15f0.png

image.png

For the same reasons as you, I followed the manual.  If dealers want to break them in under full load, then let them.  Not for me.

I think the benefits of doing the break-in are more around longevity and keeping power output over time.  Dealer is not going to miss talking a boat out to demo because the boat might start burning oil a few hundred hours early towards the end of its life.  With modern engine assembly I assume that the chances of a less than rigorous break-in would result in an un usable motor or drivetrain in the first 800 hours is pretty unlikely.

I insisted in meeting the boat at the water the first time it was put in and did the break-in by myself by the book.  Figured it could not hurt.  Big investment and would kick myself for taking a shortcut if a wear related problem popped up earlier than expected.  

did the break in before any activities except skating, still burned oil cause we surfed so much, changed my activities to a more balanced approach including speed runs right from dock amd more wake snd stopped burning oil, didn't change habits till almost second year 

Edited by granddaddy55

I broke the boat in the way I break everything else in. My 14 power stroke was pulling 18k pound loads the day I bought it. My R1 was broke in on the dyno and tracks days and race days the next weekend. When I receive my 22 duramax 3500 it will be pulling my 30’ trailer the same day. Can’t afford to do a break in.  

The boat was surfing the first day I bought it, and we have almost 300 hours on it. Done all my boats and vehicles this way. Zero problems. I was demoing boats that had like 4-8 hours on them when we were looking at buying a new boat in 2020. Full ballast, 6-8 people on the boat and we surfed all day. Dealer did not break in the demo boats obviously. Everyone does it different, but IN MY OPINION, remember we are entitled to our own opinions break in is not necessary. 

I’m on a number of high end car forums, track a few of my cars etc etc and this often comes up for new owners.   While The factories themselves push these cars hard around the tracks before they are even shipped to the US the manual still recommends break in periods so this is frequently discussed.  Many feel it’s more of a liability thing of new owners pushing very powerful vehicles too hard when they don’t know the car/power and then getting hurt.  

who knows of this is real or just a made up opinion but thought I would share.