Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Heater hose problem

I winterized my boat Saturday and everything was going smooth. Last thing I need to drain was the heater core and hoses. I was using my air compressor with small nozzle to burp out the water from the lines and the rubber tip came off inside the hose. I switched sides with the air nozzle to try and blow it back out but didn’t have a eye on the end so I’m not sure if the rubber tip came back out. I never found it. I then tried to flush it out with water and had good flow. What do you folks think the best way to make sure the rubber tip came out? I was thinking disconnect the line at the heater core and run a fish wire back through to check. Any other suggestions?  Every year something silly happens:cry:

12 minutes ago, jrvs23 said:

I winterized my boat Saturday and everything was going smooth. Last thing I need to drain was the heater core and hoses. I was using my air compressor with small nozzle to burp out the water from the lines and the rubber tip came off inside the hose. I switched sides with the air nozzle to try and blow it back out but didn’t have a eye on the end so I’m not sure if the rubber tip came back out. I never found it. I then tried to flush it out with water and had good flow. What do you folks think the best way to make sure the rubber tip came out? I was thinking disconnect the line at the heater core and run a fish wire back through to check. Any other suggestions?  Every year something silly happens:cry:

I would expect it to be resting inside the inlet tank of the core.  You could probably pull the heater and dump it out.

4 hours ago, justgary said:

I would expect it to be resting inside the inlet tank of the core.  You could probably pull the heater and dump it out.

Didn’t know there was an inlet tank on the core. I’ll be surprised if it made it all the way there. Going to wait until spring now to mess with it. 

4 hours ago, malibu2004 said:

I disconnect the hose on the motor and the return and blow the water out with my mouth and lungs. 

Done it that way a couple times.  A lot of huffing and puffing. I’ve been using the compressor for years. Just go easy with the air and it works well until the rubber tip blows into the hose. 

23 minutes ago, jrvs23 said:

Done it that way a couple times.  A lot of huffing and puffing. I’ve been using the compressor for years. Just go easy with the air and it works well until the rubber tip blows into the hose. 

I switched from the air compressor to my 2 gallon shop vac in reverse and it works great. One less tool in the boat since I’ve got shop vac there to vacuum up the water. 

Just one of many options.