Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine Water Removal before California Indoor Storage Really Needed?

Before long term storage indoor in California, is it necessary to follow this “winterization” procedure and drain all the water pulling plugs on Raptor 450HO Malibu 2017? I put it away quickly to beat the coming rain and never ran the engine dry or pulled any plugs other than the main center boat plug.

Winterizing Inmar Raptor 450

California is a big state with a wide range of climates. Are you in San Diego a quarter mile from the beach or in Mammoth lakes at 8000’?

if there is even the remotest chance of a freeze, I would drain. 

Northern Cal below freeze line and indoor climate controlled.

no freeze possibility.

the concern I have is standing water in the motor and components from fresh water River for 2-3 months is that ok can the engine and parts handle that or does it need to be dry or require movement often?

ahopkins22LSV

No freeze possibility because it’s inside in a climate controlled building? What if that building looses power? If you are able to get back to it, it is very simple to pull the drain plugs and is the best thing you can do. 

I live in Nebraska and my boat stays in my heated shop all winter. I’m in and out of it the shop daily so I would know if the heat quit. I still drain my block just for cheap insurance, peace of mind and just to get the water out

Thanks everyone, so other than freezing and maybe salt corrosion, there is no concern of lake or fresh water standing inside the motor and components designed to handle it for 1-2 months... Its really about the what if events like sudden freeze or something...

I plan to learn how to pull plugs etc but had to cut that short due to incoming rain and the storage unit just moved it indoors and did me a favor etc, so I need to wait for a week before even having them pull it back out to do this motor drain, hence can it live without impact this winter assuming no freeze...

It's so easy to drain and dry out why not spend the 15mins to do so?  Why would ever leave water in a boat that's stored moisture=corrosion not matter what the environment.

1 hour ago, kell25lsv said:

Thanks everyone, so other than freezing and maybe salt corrosion, there is no concern of lake or fresh water standing inside the motor and components designed to handle it for 1-2 months... Its really about the what if events like sudden freeze or something...

I plan to learn how to pull plugs etc but had to cut that short due to incoming rain and the storage unit just moved it indoors and did me a favor etc, so I need to wait for a week before even having them pull it back out to do this motor drain, hence can it live without impact this winter assuming no freeze...

If you can get access to the boat, you don't really need to pull it outside.  It's not more than 4 gallons of water that will come out.  If the boat is parked on an italian marble floor it could be a little messy, but on regular concrete it would be no big deal to "just pour out."  If you are super conscientious / diligent, bring along a home depot homer bucket for the water to run into and then dump that outside.

Also sweet boat and I can't believe that the former owner didn't drain it for you. ;-)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, kell25lsv said:

fresh water standing inside the motor and components designed to handle it for 1-2 months...

If you want to get technical about it, the engine was designed to have rust inhibiting coolant in it all the time.  The block will eventually rot out, but how quickly is dependent on a lot of things.

6 hours ago, kell25lsv said:

Northern Cal below freeze line and indoor climate controlled.

no freeze possibility.

the concern I have is standing water in the motor and components from fresh water River for 2-3 months is that ok can the engine and parts handle that or does it need to be dry or require movement often?

No freeze possibility is funny. Until you have a snow or ice storm and it knocks the power out. Drain it and rest peacefully when the storm comes in this winter. Think about Texas last winter and and the ice storm. I mean not need to winterize in Texas. 

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, justgary said:

If you want to get technical about it, the engine was designed to have rust inhibiting coolant in it all the time.  The block will eventually rot out, but how quickly is dependent on a lot of things.

Except that a 2017 is going to be a closed-cooled Raptor motor full of antifreeze. It’s just got raw water in the heat exchanger and exhaust manifolds. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

Except that a 2017 is going to be a closed-cooled Raptor motor full of antifreeze. It’s just got raw water in the heat exchanger and exhaust manifolds. 

So the heat exchanger and exhaust manifolds won't crack? If it's raw water it can crack, yea? 

28 minutes ago, malibu2004 said:

So the heat exchanger and exhaust manifolds won't crack? If it's raw water it can crack, yea? 

Of course!  Drain em!  super easy and the OP will sleep well when that freeze warning comes in December.

I was just responding to @justgary’s pedantic comment about the engine being designed to run antifreeze with my own equally pedantic observation that the OP’s engine is full of the stuff. 

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Of course!  Drain em!  super easy and the OP will sleep well when that freeze warning comes in December.

I was just responding to @justgary’s pedantic comment about the engine being designed to run antifreeze with my own equally pedantic observation that the OP’s engine is full of the stuff. 

Indeed.  As a First Class Pedant, I was just responding to the OP's statement about raw water in his engine.

To actually add value here, the rustproofing properties of coolant degrade over a few years, so changing it on the manufacturer's recommended schedule can help keep your engine block in good shape.

• Haha 2