Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

My ballast tanks fill while regular boating, esp at low speeds.

radrb

While on intermediate wakeboard setting, the rear ballast fills completely, instantly, and prevents gaining speed. 

While riding at 10-12 mph, the rear bags fill to 25%.  Then empty at idle.  

Any suggestions?

Level sensors are at the rear of the tanks, so if the bow pitches up the level indicated will change (increase), fill to the required level when stationary. Then change the screen view👍 

I'm sure the tanks actually fill as the boat will not accelerate until I manually empty them while wakeboarder waits for speed with a concerned look.   

2 hours ago, radrb said:

I'm sure the tanks actually fill as the boat will not accelerate until I manually empty them while wakeboarder waits for speed with a concerned look.   

Do you mean that once you have pulled the rider up you are draining the tanks to gain speed?  How long does this take?  I doubt that you are pumping enough water out to make a noticeable acceleration difference while pulling someone up.  These tanks cant fill "instantaneously", as the plumbing limits the flow and the only way that they drain that quickly is catastrophic failure, which would just put the water into the bilge and not help you out.

yes, I have to manually drain to gain speed.

I have boat set to the "intermediate wakeboard" setting.     At start,  with wedge goes to lift and rider is up, accelerating through 9-10 mph moving to 20.     Then the wedge moves to 3 or so and the bow rises.  At that point, the rear ballast seems to fill quickly, and the boat stops accelerating, presumably due to the weight of rapid filling.   Next time I tried, I manually started emptying the tanks upon "go" and was able to accelerate.   

Is this a new problem or has it always been this way.  I think that the wedge is causing you extra drag and you have too much weight or are not propped correctly.  There just isn't any way for the tanks to "fill" that fast.  try to get more weight up to the bow and see if that helps. 

9 hours ago, radrb said:

While on intermediate wakeboard setting, the rear ballast fills completely, instantly, and prevents gaining speed. 

While riding at 10-12 mph, the rear bags fill to 25%.  Then empty at idle.  

Any suggestions?

I am way confused.

Our 2021 23 MXZ will run with the ballast tanks full and a 3 wedge (M6di) I am 99% sure.  We don't have anyone who wants that big of a wake but pretty sure I did it just for grins once.  

So is this a change in how it behaves, first time you tried so you don't know or some other?  Also have you recently changed elevations?  You can get that boat with the M5di/M6di/LT4 motor.  If you have the M5di and went from sea level to a vacation spot at 3,500 ft then you could be incorrectly propped for sure.

Separate issue from not having enough power you are sayin at Surf speed the rear bags fill without the pumps running and then drain again when the boat stops?

ahopkins22LSV

If the ballast truly is filling, then it is probably because the siphon loop is not mounted high enough or fell down or something. Not sure on the 23mxz but I’d guess the are mounted on the seat backs. 

Normally that causes passive draining but it could be passively filling. 

To me, this sounds like you had ballast full for surfing or something. Hit go home or drain and there was water left in the bags that draining back into the tanks if it goes from 0% to 25% when trying to get to speed. 

Also, doesn’t the intermediate wakeboard setting include some ballast? Like 50%? Try not using the preset and set the speed/wedge manually and see what happens. 

Many of the ballast tanks in 2021 Malibu boats use an electric valve between the fill pump and tank.  The valve circuit is connected to the fill pump circuit so the valve opens when the pump is on and closes when the pump is off.  If there is a problem with the fill valve the ballast tank could fill and drain on its own while operating the boat at different speeds.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Dealer evaluation revealed a faulty pump allowing water to flow into the ballast.   Pump replaced and no abnormal flow now present.    

• Like 1