Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking at a 2018 23LSV... couple questions from a total noob.

CptAmerica

Hey all,

My wife and I have been very actively studying and looking for our first tow boat.  One boat we are interested in, is a used 2018 23LSV.   I have a few quick questions, if you don't mind.

1) Excuse my ignorance (first boat), but if you were looking at buying a used 2018 23 like we are, would ~200 hours be a bit too much?  Would you have any concerns buying a clean, freshwater only 23LSV with just over 200 hours? Anything to look out for with a boat with that kind of hours?

2) I also have an obnoxious requirement that my boat fit inside a standard 10x8' garage door.  Would a 23LSV with the tower down clear the top of the door at roughly 94"?

3) Here is the boat I am eyeballing.  Does this look like a good deal? Maybe a bit too pricey?  How much would you reasonably expect to be able to talk this down?

https://www.activeh2o.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=10982167&p=1&s=Year&d=D&t=preowned&fr=xpreownedinventory

Thanks for any help and guidance you can provide us... we are new to all this.

Edited by CptAmerica

1) 214 hours - certainly not excessive. You will find lower numbers, but no, definitely not excessive. Also, it says 214 hours in one part of the description and 165 hours in another. 

2) Dunno how this one folds down for height concern, but the more common limiting problem is garage depth. 

3) That seems high, but the market is insane right now and, although that lot seems to be stuffed full of inventory, in other parts of the US, there are not too many new-ish boats available. If you are writing a check, an extra few (or several) thousand more might matter more. If you are borrowing, think in terms of how much more your monthly payment will be if you "overpay" a bit for what looks to be a killer boat. It may hurt $20 more per month forever, but look at that thing. It won't be on the lot long. 

Somebody will pop on here to tell you the 6.2L Raptor is too loud compared to other options that may be available in other boats. I have one, and have ridden in friend's boats boasting "less loud" motors. I prefer to hear the growl. This one has the surf pipe exhaust which may lessen the noise a bit also. 

Welcome to the forum! I'll give my opinion on your questions.

1. 200 hours on a 2018? I'd say that's fine, maybe on the higher side of normal. If they got it in the beginning of 2018, that's ~50 hours of use per year. 

2. I can't comment here, but I assume it would fit.

3. That price seems on the higher side, according to onlyinboards.com. Looks like the last 2 to be reported sold were for 100k, but you can see others higher. https://www.onlyinboards.com/SoldBoats.aspx The boat market has never been hotter, so getting in now... well.. you'll have to pay a little more than normal. With a healthy increase on the new ones and all the build slots full for 2022, there is no sign of the prices getting lower. 

You might check to see about the warranty, if there is any left you can pay to have it transferred to you. 

I do like the color combo on that boat, looks great!

15 minutes ago, BigCreek said:

1) 214 hours - certainly not excessive. You will find lower numbers, but no, definitely not excessive. Also, it says 214 hours in one part of the description and 165 hours in another. 

2) Dunno how this one folds down for height concern, but the more common limiting problem is garage depth. 

3) That seems high, but the market is insane right now and, although that lot seems to be stuffed full of inventory, in other parts of the US, there are not too many new-ish boats available. If you are writing a check, an extra few (or several) thousand more might matter more. If you are borrowing, think in terms of how much more your monthly payment will be if you "overpay" a bit for what looks to be a killer boat. It may hurt $20 more per month forever, but look at that thing. It won't be on the lot long. 

Somebody will pop on here to tell you the 6.2L Raptor is too loud compared to other options that may be available in other boats. I have one, and have ridden in friend's boats boasting "less loud" motors. I prefer to hear the growl. This one has the surf pipe exhaust which may lessen the noise a bit also. 

Yeah, I noticed that hours discrepency too.  I bet they copy and pasted something from another boat, and accidentally listed the wrong hours.  10$ says its the higher of the two. 

Finding height information is a nightmare.  I have even read every page of the height thread, just above mine.. but without knowing what trailer this is, or what tower or racks the boat has... I can't put it all together.  I assume I will have to take the board racks off, and it would clear... at least from the information I have been able to find. How hard of a job is taking the racks on and off?  I will already have to take the guide poles on and off as well.  I can't tell what kind of tower this boat has, as I don't know that much about the Malibus.  Depth for me isn't an issue, I have a 5 car tandem garage.  Two bays are tandem for 4 vehicles (the boat will burn two spots), and then a standard single.

I don't mind engine noise either.  I am actually leaning TOWARDS the ford engine because it seems the most popular. I am guessing easier to find parts, easier to find how-to's on youtube... etc.    

Edited by CptAmerica
13 minutes ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Welcome to the forum! I'll give my opinion on your questions.

1. 200 hours on a 2018? I'd say that's fine, maybe on the higher side of normal. If they got it in the beginning of 2018, that's ~50 hours of use per year. 

2. I can't comment here, but I assume it would fit.

3. That price seems on the higher side, according to onlyinboards.com. Looks like the last 2 to be reported sold were for 100k, but you can see others higher. https://www.onlyinboards.com/SoldBoats.aspx The boat market has never been hotter, so getting in now... well.. you'll have to pay a little more than normal. With a healthy increase on the new ones and all the build slots full for 2022, there is no sign of the prices getting lower. 

You might check to see about the warranty, if there is any left you can pay to have it transferred to you. 

I do like the color combo on that boat, looks great!

Yeah, I concur totally.  The boat market is high, and I don't mind paying to play... but not 20 THOUSAND more than I should.   I was planning on going down and offering... 115 or something like that.  It says in the add the transferrable warranty price is included in their listing.  Thanks for the info, fellas... still tryin to figure all this out.  We are extremely excited, but also quite a bit overwhelmed.  Our biggest hurdle is that damn garage door height. 

Trying like MAD to get a boat before the 22 season.. I will slit my wrists if I have to wait for 2023! :frantic:

Edited by CptAmerica
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, CptAmerica said:

... I can't tell what kind of tower this boat has... 

It has the G4 tower and PTM clamping racks. I can't help with the trailer. 

I wouldn't worry about 200ish hours at all, that seems right where you'd want to be with a 2018, nowhere near too much and not too little. 

Good looking boat and colour scheme. Inside and out. Good luck with the decision. Demo it if you can. 

I bet someone on here will help you with the height. I think those board racks will swivel in further, so you wont need to remove them.

Pretty sure the cost to transfer the warranty is ~$2500 plus the inspection.... I agree $115k would be a reasonable number for that one. I love the vapor blue.

1 hour ago, BlindSquirrel said:

I bet someone on here will help you with the height. I think those board racks will swivel in further, so you wont need to remove them.

Pretty sure the cost to transfer the warranty is ~$2500 plus the inspection.... I agree $115k would be a reasonable number for that one. I love the vapor blue.

That would be nice.. if they could swivel flat and not have to be removed... if that could get the boat under my door, I would be all-in, baby.  Thanks for the help everybody... the boating community sure is helpful. 

2 hours ago, CptAmerica said:

Hey all,

My wife and I have been very actively studying and looking for our first tow boat.  One boat we are interested in, is a used 2018 23LSV.   I have a few quick questions, if you don't mind.

1) Excuse my ignorance (first boat), but if you were looking at buying a used 2018 23 like we are, would ~200 hours be a bit too much?  Would you have any concerns buying a clean, freshwater only 23LSV with just over 200 hours? Anything to look out for with a boat with that kind of hours?

2) I also have an obnoxious requirement that my boat fit inside a standard 10x8' garage door.  Would a 23LSV with the tower down clear the top of the door at roughly 94"?

3) Here is the boat I am eyeballing.  Does this look like a good deal? Maybe a bit too pricey?  How much would you reasonably expect to be able to talk this down?

https://www.activeh2o.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=10982167&p=1&s=Year&d=D&t=preowned&fr=xpreownedinventory

Thanks for any help and guidance you can provide us... we are new to all this.

The guys at AWS are fantastic.  It's a great dealership.  

Hi, just for information i sold a 18 23lsv early august.  I had 450ho engine, 350 hours, all options great condition.  I sold to private party for 114k.  I had zero problems with the boat with 350hours on it.  I think this is a beautiful boat, 200hrs, not a problem.  If you are at altitude i would be a little concerned about 410 engine.  If closer to sea level no problem.  I was not completely happy with 450ho at 5k ft.  In terms of price, depending on where you live not much surfing left, so price maybe a little high but i felt like mine sold high and i had numerous interested parties at 119k, sold to first guy who looked at for 114k, just didnt want to deal with lots of showings. Crazy market.  If your at low altitude i would try to get at 119k or less and free winter storage and winterization this year.  Good luck, great boat, i loved mine.

1 hour ago, NWBU said:

You will be fine with your 10’ 8” door clearance, without taking off the racks. 

You’re getting a great dealer with AWS!

no no.. it's 8' high.  It's a 10x8 door.  I confirmed with my sales guy at AWS that with the board racks removed, it clears easy.

Edited by CptAmerica
1 hour ago, Wcl said:

Hi, just for information i sold a 18 23lsv early august.  I had 450ho engine, 350 hours, all options great condition.  I sold to private party for 114k.  I had zero problems with the boat with 350hours on it.  I think this is a beautiful boat, 200hrs, not a problem.  If you are at altitude i would be a little concerned about 410 engine.  If closer to sea level no problem.  I was not completely happy with 450ho at 5k ft.  In terms of price, depending on where you live not much surfing left, so price maybe a little high but i felt like mine sold high and i had numerous interested parties at 119k, sold to first guy who looked at for 114k, just didnt want to deal with lots of showings. Crazy market.  If your at low altitude i would try to get at 119k or less and free winter storage and winterization this year.  Good luck, great boat, i loved mine.

Thank you.  I'm so excited, i'm drooling. Have an appointment to go out on the water with the boat Saturday late morning for a test run, and a full walk through of all the boat's goodies.   It's 4 hours away, so getting a hotel the night before so we're close by.  We're at sea level, so I think the 410 should be fine.  I t think 115 would be a fair offer... I hope he takes it. Would suck to drive home without it.

It WILL suck having the boat in the garage all winter before i can use it.. but better than fighting over something come May.  At least I can wax it all winter.

Edited by CptAmerica
7 minutes ago, CptAmerica said:

no no.. it's 8' heigh.  It's a 10x8 door.  I confirmed with my sales guy at AWS that with the board racks removed, it clears easy.

Ah, I misread that part. Agree on that 8’ clearance too since members here have done that.

On pricing, they’ll probably get close to their asking, especially after seeing what they brokered my old 2019 at last month, but see what they will do. They know the market and price fairly competitively on the new boat side, meaning they’re not one of the dealers telling you MSRP, take it or leave it.

17 hours ago, NWBU said:

Ah, I misread that part. Agree on that 8’ clearance too since members here have done that.

On pricing, they’ll probably get close to their asking, especially after seeing what they brokered my old 2019 at last month, but see what they will do. They know the market and price fairly competitively on the new boat side, meaning they’re not one of the dealers telling you MSRP, take it or leave it.

Did they take a 23lsv in trade from you?  How does your boat compare to the one I linked to, and how much did they give you for it?

26 minutes ago, CptAmerica said:

Did they take a 23lsv in trade from you?  How does your boat compare to the one I linked to, and how much did they give you for it?

I sold the 2019 a couple years ago. I’ve become friends with the buyer so have the inside scoop on what he sold the 2019 for to one of his other friends when he bought a 2021 through AWS. I wouldn’t share specifics publicly but both of them are very happy with their deal, which was higher than the linked 2018. Appreciating assets are great! They also drive a few hours to buy through AWS because they love the group there.

The 2018 you’re looking at has a number of extras compared to my 2019, such as the G4 tower, transom and docking lights, and wake view bench. The raptor 410 is a good engine and the boat looks very clean too.

3 hours ago, NWBU said:

I sold the 2019 a couple years ago. I’ve become friends with the buyer so have the inside scoop on what he sold the 2019 for to one of his other friends when he bought a 2021 through AWS. I wouldn’t share specifics publicly but both of them are very happy with their deal, which was higher than the linked 2018. Appreciating assets are great! They also drive a few hours to buy through AWS because they love the group there.

The 2018 you’re looking at has a number of extras compared to my 2019, such as the G4 tower, transom and docking lights, and wake view bench. The raptor 410 is a good engine and the boat looks very clean too.

Understood... thanks for the contribution.  Do you think I would be insulting them to offer 115?  Would that be a fair offer? I am pretty good at navigating car purchases and finding that balance between overpaying with MSRP, and paying enough where all our bills are paid, and have been pretty successful. But this is my first boat purchase so I am not sure.  I don't know if there is a 3k markup on this boat from what they paid, or a 40k markup from what they paid.  I guess I'll find out!   Thanks again.

That's pretty high price for a 2018 IMO, a 2020 I could see at that price but not an '18.  I know I'm in a different market, but it is crazy high here too.  For reference, this one is listed for just under $105k.  Boat looks nice, good luck!

https://mninboard.com/boats-for-sale/2018-malibu-boats-wakesetter-23-lsv-1331052/

Edited by Sixer
2 hours ago, CptAmerica said:

Understood... thanks for the contribution.  Do you think I would be insulting them to offer 115?  Would that be a fair offer? I am pretty good at navigating car purchases and finding that balance between overpaying with MSRP, and paying enough where all our bills are paid, and have been pretty successful. But this is my first boat purchase so I am not sure.  I don't know if there is a 3k markup on this boat from what they paid, or a 40k markup from what they paid.  I guess I'll find out!   Thanks again.

Definitely offer whatever you’re comfortable with and nobody’s going to be offended. I just wanted to give some context, in case helpful, rather than suggest you should offer asking.

Part of the issue in the PNW is one major metro dealer will tell you to pound sand below MSRP on their new boats, which drives the used market higher than some other regions. 

I’m outside the Portland metro area so do most boating here, but we get to Crescent every summer.

2 hours ago, NWBU said:

Definitely offer whatever you’re comfortable with and nobody’s going to be offended. I just wanted to give some context, in case helpful, rather than suggest you should offer asking.

Part of the issue in the PNW is one major metro dealer will tell you to pound sand below MSRP on their new boats, which drives the used market higher than some other regions. 

I’m outside the Portland metro area so do most boating here, but we get to Crescent every summer.

Ok great... Crescent is flippin gorgeous, albiet a little bit cold. (I'm talking lake Crescent out here near Port Angeles)  I am dead smack in the middle between Cushman and Crescent.

Edited by CptAmerica

Well bummer, they won't budge on the price... and I think 125 is just too high.  Turns out it was on conignment and not owned by the dealer. I was willing to go 125 out the door, including tax, which was like 115ish... nope.  No real budging.   But I will say, they were extremely good there over at AWS. Super helpful, super friendly, and communication was amazing. I felt like I had a friend on the inside.  Thanks for your help, still hopin to find a Malibu as I love their style.