Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2015 23 lsv heater reconnect

We just got back into boating after taking many years off and recently purchased a new to me 2015 23 LSV with the LS3 engine.  I guess this is my first post so please go easy on me. 
Previous owner said it didn’t have a heater but upon further inspection it looks like it has one but never hooked up or possibly disconnected. In settings heater was turned off.  I turned it on and it blows air out the vents but no hot air.  It appears both hot water in and out lines are not hooked up, and just sitting in the transom.  Trying to figure out if it was #1 never hooked up when first purchased from the factory by the original owner (I am the 3rd owner) #2 it was winterized this way or #3 disconnected on purpose because of overheating issues with the ls3 motor.

should I just leave it disconnected or try and reconnect?  Is it as easy as finding couplings and additional hose?

Engine type
wHdGziwl.jpg

heater in and out installed with loop

EjJh4Rxl.jpg

cut heater hoses sitting near the rudder

6eRWqxBl.jpg

heater core behind the sub

iWxlhDCl.jpg

Also, I would presume that it was disconnected/deactivated for a reason.  As @csleaver says above, it will need a circ pump.  Perhaps that failed and it was removed; if so there should be some associated DC power nearby.  Also, consider that the heater core could have failed and has a hole in it.  I would pressure test the system with the 2 cut hoses and see if the core is still functional and leak-proof before hooking the lines back up and causing further unintended "fun."

• Like 2

I'd bet that the heater was not blown out when the boat was winterized at some point and the heater core froze and split.  You could pressure test it easily by plugging one of the heater hoses and putting some air (10-15 lbs pressure) in the other end.  If you have a helper they will hear the air escaping in the heater box if it has a hole in it.

Great my heater core is still intact :)

Would someone be so kind to post a pic of where the circulation pump should be mounted and how it is wired/what it is wired to?  Is it at the helm or in the transom or does it matter?  It installed on the “out” side of the engine loop correct as opposed to the return/in side? TIA

Eyeing this “heater pump” wire but appears to be hot as soon as I power up everything…strange 

0mIrNCdl.jpg

Edited by anutami

The heater circ pump is usually mounted on the port side of the engine near the heater hoses inline on the heater out hose.  The heater out engine port is connected to the pump inlet, the hose going to the heater core is connected to the pump outlet, and the other hose from the heater core is connected to the heater in port on the engine.

There should be a wiring harness with a relay that connects to the heater pump wiring, the heater wire in your photo, a ground wire, and the fuel pump harness.  If the relay harness is missing, you will need to get one, or make one.

1 hour ago, csleaver said:

The heater circ pump is usually mounted on the port side of the engine near the heater hoses inline on the heater out hose.  The heater out engine port is connected to the pump inlet, the hose going to the heater core is connected to the pump outlet, and the other hose from the heater core is connected to the heater in port on the engine.

There should be a wiring harness with a relay that connects to the heater pump wiring, the heater wire in your photo, a ground wire, and the fuel pump harness.  If the relay harness is missing, you will need to get one, or make one.

I owe you a beer, thanks so much!  I ordered the relay from active wake.  Will post pics once I get it installed 

• 2 weeks later...

Circ pump install, couldn’t find really any convenient mounting area except for the transom

CKp4wj1l.jpg

used the small loop hose #1 because it’s larger size than the standard hose and #2 in case I get in trouble I can disconnect the heater relatively easily.

McNxxjRl.jpg

Hope this can help someone looking to do the same

Mounting looks great on the transom!

If it occasionally seems like the pump isn't working, then it may have gotten air bubbles that it's trying to push downward against gravity; the pump cannot pump air, so the air bubbles collect and keep the hot water from pumping through when engine is off or low RPMs. Rev up the engine will push the air through until it happens again. To solve, I reorienting my pump so that air bubbles would flow upward and it has worked solid ever since. 

On 10/30/2021 at 7:35 PM, atLakeSantee said:

Mounting looks great on the transom!

If it occasionally seems like the pump isn't working, then it may have gotten air bubbles that it's trying to push downward against gravity; the pump cannot pump air, so the air bubbles collect and keep the hot water from pumping through when engine is off or low RPMs. Rev up the engine will push the air through until it happens again. To solve, I reorienting my pump so that air bubbles would flow upward and it has worked solid ever since. 

Thanks for the heads up, any chance you have a pic of how yours is installed?

here is a better view of the pump and hot water line, I haven’t been able to water test anything yet so not sure if this is a good install

kQJKwV3l.jpg

I am also trying to figure out which is the inlet and outlet side of the heater, apparently Maradyne Heaters have a specific in and out and if you get it reversed it can diminish your heat output by 25%.

i can’t seem to locate any labels on the ports, does anyone know which one is out/in?  I tried to call the manufacturer but no success.TIA

JAr6sXIl.jpg

McCOUMUl.jpg

Edited by anutami
2 hours ago, anutami said:

I am also trying to figure out which is the inlet and outlet side of the heater, apparently Maradyne Heaters have a specific in and out and if you get it reversed it can diminish your heat output by 25%.

i can’t seem to locate any labels on the ports, does anyone know which one is out/in?  I tried to call the manufacturer but no success.TIA

JAr6sXIl.jpg

McCOUMUl.jpg

It does say IF it is marked. Assuming if no markings like yours, it don't matter. If I remember correctly mine was marked. It was a Maradyne also but several years ago now.

On 11/2/2021 at 5:41 PM, anutami said:

Thanks for the heads up, any chance you have a pic of how yours is installed?

I’ll get pic next time I get there; she’s out of the water for the winter.

Also I’ll look for inlet marking on the heater; I could see this being overlooked by the original installer; 25% more heat would be worth the bother!

• 1 year later...

All - I'm doing the same reconnect on a 2015 22VLX with the LSA motor.  I'm down to the wiring harness pictured below.  I know the connections for the power, pump, fuel pump but not sure where the below green-gasketed connection goes.  The previous owner had cut the connector off and left the wires dangling.  The heater has never worked previously.   I did purchase a new pump and wire harness.  I'd really appreciate any insight here.  TIA!

spacer.png

spacer.png