Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

MAlibu trailer park brake

Hi guys,

I'm struggling with the understanding of the operation of the brakes on my VTX twin axle trailer. 

I'm in Switzerland and I imported a VTX and its trailer from the US last June. To register the trailer here, the local authorities are asking me to have a parking brake on the trailer (to avoid it moving when it's not hitched to the truck). I think the hydraulic unit on the trailer is a UFP A60 acuator which I can understand the operation of (master cylinder pushing fluid to the brakes when the truck brakes - pretty simple). However I'm having trouble understanding the way the park brake works. Can anyone explain how this function works ? I'm just trying to see if I can adapt something to have it operational for the inspection.

Thanks,

Nick

I have never seen a parking brake incorporated into a Malibu trailer, either BoatMate built or my actual Malibu built trailer. Not saying it hasn’t been or can’t be done just very uncommon IME. Because it is surge brake operated I would think that any kind of lever that would cause the master cylinder rod to be moved rearward, like it would do in a normal surge braking cycle would work. Probably the easiest option would be getting the tongue to retract into the trailer, engaging the brakes and then inserting a rod through the tongue and trailer tongue housing to achieve a “surge brake lock in”. Although its long term effectiveness might be questionable, but would probably check the block as they say. Good luck. 

Thanks for confirming my intuition, guys.

I just couldn't understand how a park brake could work on this trailer. I had heard of a 12v solenoid system that was managed from the trailering truck and that allowed for a parking feature so I've been wreaking my brain around trying to understand the operation. But thanks to your confirmations, it makes sense that these trailers dont come with a parking brake feature...

Now comes the questions of how the hell I'm gonna manage to install a hydraulic parking brake system on this trailer....:unsure:

15 minutes ago, bcoppess23 said:

The trailer parking brake is a newer feature on the Malibu trailers.  There maybe a dealer that has some experience with this and could offer advise for you. 

How does it get actuated?  Is there a lever like old military trailers?

m1101-trailer-hand-brake-kit-expeditionsupply-3.jpg

9 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

How does it get actuated?  Is there a lever like old military trailers?

m1101-trailer-hand-brake-kit-expeditionsupply-3.jpg

I think you'll find that the parking brake is a mechanical system with a cable that pulls the brake calipers like on cars. 

Like someone mentionned above, hydraulic brakes tend to loose pressure over time. That's why they aren't used as long term immobilizing systems.

Nick

• 3 months later...
On 10/11/2021 at 3:59 PM, NickD said:

I think you'll find that the parking brake is a mechanical system with a cable that pulls the brake calipers like on cars. 

Like someone mentionned above, hydraulic brakes tend to loose pressure over time. That's why they aren't used as long term immobilizing systems.

Nick

Try to get in touch with US-Nautic in Schmerikon Switzerland. They have experience converting US (Malibu) trailer to CH regulations through a company Swiss Trailers. I bought a 2020 23MXZ with a trailer like that.